Anyone using the 212 vertical rectifier cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oinker54

Reaction score
Just got a Mark V head a couple days ago and have been running it through a regular C90 112 extension cab i was using before with my old DC2, but i need more than this and was thinking about the 212 vertical, thoughts? I would like to stay away from the 412 because of the price and the size of the thing, but want some more "umph" in a cab.

we have a Mark V on a vertical 2x12 at work, sounds awesome and looks awesome, let me know if you want one, I can ship to you in the US

I had one that I just sold. It was killer - loud as hell yet full of definition. It was too "metal-ish" for me, so I bought a 112 Mesa that has the clean tones covered a bit better. If I played metal or something similar, I would have kept it. It is a bit heavy at 75 pounds. But it's a far cry from hauling a 412 around.

I should say that our band plays more classic rock and blues; Cream, The Who, Sabbath, etc. Is this cab going to sound wrong with this type of music? I'm not against a more modern sound, but I'm not a metal head either.

Another option would be adding a closed-back 1x12 to your other cab. I'm running an open-back 1x12 on top of a closed-back 1x12 (both with C90s), and it sounds great. It had the openness of the open-back on top, with the added thump from the closed-back cab. It looks cool, too.

Oinker54 said:
I should say that our band plays more classic rock and blues; Cream, The Who, Sabbath, etc. Is this cab going to sound wrong with this type of music? I'm not against a more modern sound, but I'm not a metal head either.

It's all in how you play. When I play my SG through my Mark V into a Recto 2x12 it sounds like metal. When another guitarist I know played through my rig with my settings it sounded like classic rock.

Recto cabs tend to sound a bit scooped and boomy up close, but once you get 20 or more feet out front of them you'll find they have a lot of midrange to them.

I currently play with a Mesa vert 2x12 and my Mark V and it is very nice. I still have a horiz 2x12 and it just sits there. If I don't have stage room, I use my Thiele's w/ EVM's. If I have a little more stage room, I use the vert 2x12. MASSIVE difference to me versus the horiz 2x12. The horiz 2x12 is really dark and boomy compared to the vert.

yes I do, it sounds great. (bottom V30, top Eminence Cannabis Rex)
and it looks great too...

When I am at home my personal cab is a 2x12 vertical cab with C-90's and it sounds great. I also have a 1x12 open back cab that I occasionally use and it sounds phenomenal too.

On tour right now I have been using two 4x12 cabs and that is just heaven! Getting quite spoiled actually!

Unfortunately they couldn't backline me a Mark V but this rig is doing me just fine for the Australian tour!

NewYearsRig.jpg

I have a vertical 2x12 with V30's and I really dig it. I'm running it with my new Port City cab, they work well together. It sounds great all by it's lonesome though, and much easier to move too! Some have said they don't care for the V30's, but I think they are great after a nice break-in period.

I agree with screaming daisy, it's all in how you play. After 5 months I'm still finding new awesome sounds!

I agree with screaming daisy, it's all in how you play. After 5 months I'm still finding new awesome sounds!

I absolutely LOVE my horizontal 2x12 Recto. I chose it over the vertical due to the reviews. Most people were saying that the vertical looks better and is more convenient as far as getting the head up to an easier access height but tone wise the horizontal had better reviews.

It's supposed to be great for recording also.

On a side note, I really like V30's once they start to break in after a few hard hours. The sound like **** at first though.

Back