Video Idea: Mark V 6L6 vs EL34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaggertysMusic

Reaction score
Hello. We are filming product videos every week and I wanted to see if there would be interest in a side-by-side A/B comparison of the Mark V, one with 6L6's and one with EL34's.

We can seamlessly transition from one to the other so you can really hear it like you would with an A/B switch. If you think this would be a good idea and useful to the community, let me know and we'll make it happen. Also some ideas would be great as to how you would like it presented... What modes, power settings, playing styles, etc.

People are constantly clammering on here about this subject . I think it would be an excellent idea .

You guys should really do that!! And please try The 3rd channel with some high gain rythm... It seems most people use The 3rd channel only as a soloing/shredding channel..

Ordered my Mark V from haggertys music and got it shipped to Hawaii. They are awesome. On the other subject, yeah an EL34 vs 6L6 video would be great. You guys would probably being using Mesa branded tubes right? I would suggest getting rhythm+leads for a clean tone, a slightly gritty tone, mid gain rock, and then a high gain kind of comparison.

Do it. It would be a huge hit, especially if done well. And I say cover the whole amp, channels and modes, with each tube set. The best Mark V demo I've seen was by musicradar.com/Guitarist Magazine. That would be a good standard to go by.
Do it!

Here's a link to that vid, FWIW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2DaQRTDGg

Thanks to everyone for the excellent suggestions! We filmed the video last night and it will be posted to youtube on Friday!

Overall I think it went well. We mic'ed a combo with a vintage 30 and did a demo in each channel (fat clean, mark I, mark IV). Time did not allow for us to cover all 9 of the modes, but I think the ones we chose demonstrate the differences effectively.

We didn't touch the amp settings or mic's when changing the tubes, so it's a level playing field. I hope that you all enjoy it and it is helpful for people who may be on the fence, wondering if they should try EL34's. After it's all said and done, the Mark V still sounds like a Mark V, the tubes just change the color slightly. I hear the biggest difference in the bottom end, the 6L6 being fuller, the EL34 being tighter... but overall I think they sound pretty similar.

The best Mark V demo I've seen was by musicradar.com/Guitarist Magazine. That would be a good standard to go by.
It's my plan over the next couple of months to cover the Mark V in greater detail than I have seen yet. This amp deserves a 7 part series exploring each mode, power settings, gain levels etc. I mean, how many tones can you get out of the tweed or mark i modes alone?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's my plan over the next couple of months to cover the Mark V in greater detail than I have seen yet. This amp deserves a 7 part series exploring each mode, power settings, gain levels etc. I mean, how many tones can you get out of the tweed or mark i modes alone?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I agree, at least a five part series, right? I look forward to it.

hats off ton Don..or anyone..who goes the extra mile for the board! Having said that, and I know this isn't a news bulletin, but there is no substitute for the real thing-if anyone is "on the fence" about which tubes,etc...just go buy some **** tubes and try yourself!!you will have the ability to have/explore different tones whenever you wish! I am playing a country gig this weekend...say hello to those 6L6 tubes again!!...and the 34's go back in when i get back to the house!!NO video will simulate the "feel" of the amp, and that is the most important thing to me at the end of the day
no offense Don! love your work

lesterpaul said:
hats off ton Don..or anyone..who goes the extra mile for the board! Having said that, and I know this isn't a news bulletin, but there is no substitute for the real thing-if anyone is "on the fence" about which tubes,etc...just go buy some **** tubes and try yourself!!you will have the ability to have/explore different tones whenever you wish! I am playing a country gig this weekend...say hello to those 6L6 tubes again!!...and the 34's go back in when i get back to the house!!NO video will simulate the "feel" of the amp, and that is the most important thing to me at the end of the day
no offense Don! love your work

For me, every bit of research I can get pre-purchase is good, and there are no good comparison vids/clips yet on this subject.
You're right, a video will not emulate a guitar in your hands, but it can tell you if something goes against your grain or not. If I see the video and I'm not impressed by the el34s, I'll spend my tube money on a Provalve 2 instead! I wish I'd seen a clip before I bought a set for my LSC. :oops:

lesterpaul said:
NO video will simulate the "feel" of the amp

+1

Thats so important, its almost like flipping to diodes, the sonic difference is very low but the feel of the amp its hughe

HaggertysMusic said:
Thanks to everyone for the excellent suggestions! We filmed the video last night and it will be posted to youtube on Friday!

Overall I think it went well. We mic'ed a combo with a vintage 30 and did a demo in each channel (fat clean, mark I, mark IV). Time did not allow for us to cover all 9 of the modes, but I think the ones we chose demonstrate the differences effectively.

We didn't touch the amp settings or mic's when changing the tubes, so it's a level playing field. I hope that you all enjoy it and it is helpful for people who may be on the fence, wondering if they should try EL34's. After it's all said and done, the Mark V still sounds like a Mark V, the tubes just change the color slightly. I hear the biggest difference in the bottom end, the 6L6 being fuller, the EL34 being tighter... but overall I think they sound pretty similar.

The best Mark V demo I've seen was by musicradar.com/Guitarist Magazine. That would be a good standard to go by.

I searched but could not find. Was it posted?

It is still with our video editor. We fell behind schedule due to some technical issues with our last video (2009 vs 2010 Dual Rectifier). As soon as the Mark V tube shootout goes live I'll post a link to it here!

Thanks for your patience!

HaggertysMusic said:

It is still with our video editor. We fell behind schedule due to some technical issues with our last video (2009 vs 2010 Dual Rectifier). As soon as the Mark V tube shootout goes live I'll post a link to it here!

Thanks for your patience!

For those interested, they posted it on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/haggertysmusic#p/a/u/0/4VgVA3zWAXM

Latest posts

Back