Mark V Graphic EQ Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystidream

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my Mark V's Graphic EQ and was hoping I could get some help or advice. The sliders are working for channels 1&3 but not for channel two. When the mini toggle is flicked back and forth nothing happens. Have any of you guys experienced this? Any help will be appreciated.

As long as you have the toggle for EQ ON and it's set to Sliders I don't think there is much else to do but take it to a pro. If it's a footswitch problem reverse the ends and it'll probably fix it.

Scary said:
As long as you have the toggle for EQ ON and it's set to Sliders I don't think there is much else to do but take it to a pro. If it's a footswitch problem reverse the ends and it'll probably fix it.

I was using the amp without the footswitch. I still have 4 1/2 years of warranty left so I guess I can send it back to Boogie if need be.

mystidream said:
No one has experienced this at all?
not me, but it's possible that the eq engage 3-way switch is somehow broken and/or detached...no way to know except for looking into the amp/servicing. it could've been just due to too much jostling during shipping, etc.

that's my guess anyway. the whole preamp goes through the post-eq section in roughly the same way, so if it were intermittent in all channels, then i'd look down there, but it seems like you've narrowed it down to this one channel and switch. i would take it in. sorry i can't be much more help, but it's hard to remote diagnose, especially if you haven't seen it yourself. gl!

mejoshee said:
mystidream said:
No one has experienced this at all?
not me, but it's possible that the eq engage 3-way switch is somehow broken and/or detached...no way to know except for looking into the amp/servicing. it could've been just due to too much jostling during shipping, etc.

that's my guess anyway. the whole preamp goes through the post-eq section in roughly the same way, so if it were intermittent in all channels, then i'd look down there, but it seems like you've narrowed it down to this one channel and switch. i would take it in. sorry i can't be much more help, but it's hard to remote diagnose, especially if you haven't seen it yourself. gl!

No problem. Thanks for the advice. I talked to the guys at Mesa today and they said that its probably just the mini toggle that needs to be replaced. I called up my local authorized Mesa tech to set up an appointment to take it in to be fixed. I'm just waiting on a call back now.

I'm bumping this up. Has anyone experienced this problem at all? The certified tech that Mesa recommended has now had my Mark V head for a month now, and despite trying a whole bunch of different things, he said he's never come across the type of problem that my amp is having. Channel 2 sounds like a clean channel because the gain is not there, and also the graphic EQ has stopped working on that channel altogether.

Also, the tech said he talked to Randall Smith and that Randall said that he's never heard of such a problem and that it was an impossible problem that my amp was having. Thats obviously not the case, since my amp is having the problem.

So to make a long story short, I called up Rich at Mesa today and I'm going to pick up my Mark V from the tech tomorrow then it needs to be sent to Boogie to be fixed which they said will most likely take another 4-5 weeks. Ugh.

If it was me, I'd demand a new amp in exchange.
Let them figure out what went wrong on their dime.
Why do you have to bite the bullet for weeks on end
because they can't diagnose a glitch? Feh! :x

MrMarkIII said:
If it was me, I'd demand a new amp in exchange.
Let them figure out what went wrong on their dime.
Why do you have to bite the bullet for weeks on end
because they can't diagnose a glitch? Feh! :x

There lies the problem my friend. I'm actually the second owner of the amp. I bought it through a forum member here, but its only about 7 months old. It shouldn't be having issues like this. I wish Mesa would just swap the amp out with a new chassis/electronics and just let me keep the same headshell since its a custom finish, but I don't see them doing that.

Mesa Warranty is transferable. If you don't have the paperwork..call Mesa with the serial # and ask for a transfer of warranty. Then you can get it fixed

HeadlessAxeman said:
Mesa Warranty is transferable. If you don't have the paperwork..call Mesa with the serial # and ask for a transfer of warranty. Then you can get it fixed

The warranty is already in my name. Thats why its being sent to Mesa to be fixed. I just wished I hadn't wasted 4 weeks of having my amp at one of their "certified and recommended" techs. I could've had my Mark V at Mesa and had it back by now and not had to have dealt with this tech's total disregard for other people's property and unprofessional attitude.

I found it a lot easier to just send my amps directly to Mesa. Pull the chassis and send it in. I don't know what it takes to be a "qualified tech" but like anything else they are not all created equal. Some are great and some suck balls. Avoid the middle man I say. LOL

DaveP said:
I found it a lot easier to just send my amps directly to Mesa. Pull the chassis and send it in. I don't know what it takes to be a "qualified tech" but like anything else they are not all created equal. Some are great and some suck balls. Avoid the middle man I say. LOL

Well thats the thing. I called Mesa first and described the issues I was having and was told by them to take it to the tech instead because they said it would be a small problem to fix. The guy I took it to blows. I just posted a thread about it in the Mark V subforum.

Dave, they don't recommend shipping the chassis in the headshell? When I got my RA number from Rich at Mesa, he said that I had to ship the whole amp back, and even asked if I had the original packing material and whatnot.

I never send the headshell in amps I have sent to them. As long as it's cocooned in a bubble wrap and secure
in a good box they don't have any problem with sending just the chassis. Rich always asked me what I am sending and I tell him just the chassis. He never questioned it. It has to be insured as well. And those were Mark C+ chassis's.
Maybe if you assure him you know how to pack the chassis he will agree to it.
Most of the time the local guys can handle the repairs but being this was over his head and he caused damage to your amp is another issue.
That's just plain disregard for others property. Good you called him out on it so it doesn't happen to anyone else hopefully.

It is 2019 now and I have experienced the same issue. I got the used amp (Mark V) from Garda Italy and EQ doesn't work on CH2 while it works on other channels. Has anyone figured out why posters amp was acting in a way it did?

Yeah I did. Started appearing on channel 2 and eventually 3 as well. Unfortunately I ultimately had to take it to a authorized repair place. I think it was a relay or diode issue.

Back