reverb cables

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mejoshee

Reaction score
haha i can't believe i did this. i was swapping all the tubes in the amp (will do a thread later on tone a/b with stock mesas) and was so excited that i forgot which side the input/output of the reverb goes to in the chassis. and yes, i took it out in order to swap all the tubes. :lol:

anyway, if you are sitting around looking at this at home, could you do me a huge favor and just tell me if you see the black or white cable coming out of the amp just to the right side of the transformer. i'm talking about if you're facing back, there are a couple cables on the inside that come from the reverb tank. which one is the one closest to the back?

thanks!

White is the input. Black is the output.

(There should be an output/input inscription on the tank).

If there's no inscription, black is on the right as you look inside the amp from the rear.

I just did this recently as well . As you look at the back of the amp you will see the white cable and the black one behind it (on right end of chassis) . I had the chassis out replacing some tubes and unfortunately for me when I put the chassis back in cab the reverb would no longer work . I cant figure for the life of me how something so simple caused to reverb to go down . I tried new cables . Its got to go back to Mesa . Im really bummed about it

Even though this is a really old post I'm going to add a comment some other lucky soul might stumble on to while experiencing a working tank but with a high pitched noise / whine. It is a reverb tank cable orientation issue.

On the Mark V and on the TC 50 - the white (unshielded, skinny) reverb cable goes to the input of the tank and the black (shielded, fatter) goes to the output on the tank....AND...if you happen to reverse the cables at BOTH ends such that the tank is "working" but the wrong cable is on the wrong jack at both the tank and the amp chassis - you will most likely get a high pitched whine along with your reverb. That's because you have the unshielded (white) cable on the output. That is to say, if you make the correct connection from the amp to the tank inputs and outputs, but have both cables reversed, you'll fail to shield the signal and you'll get unwanted noise.

On the amp chassis, the white cable goes to the "rear most" rca input on both the TC-50 and the Mark V, which is to say the white wire is closest to you when you are looking into the back of your amp (combo or head).

It's a couple years later BluzCruz...but thank you for this...wasn't sure I'd reconnected the tank in the head properly!

Re: reverb cables
Post by BluzCruz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Even though this is a really old post I'm going to add a comment some other lucky soul might stumble on to while experiencing a working tank but with a high pitched noise / whine. It is a reverb tank cable orientation issue.

On the Mark V and on the TC 50 - the white (unshielded, skinny) reverb cable goes to the input of the tank and the black (shielded, fatter) goes to the output on the tank....AND...if you happen to reverse the cables at BOTH ends such that the tank is "working" but the wrong cable is on the wrong jack at both the tank and the amp chassis - you will most likely get a high pitched whine along with your reverb. That's because you have the unshielded (white) cable on the output. That is to say, if you make the correct connection from the amp to the tank inputs and outputs, but have both cables reversed, you'll fail to shield the signal and you'll get unwanted noise.

8) 8) THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!! :)
Saved me from buying a new reverb tank for a Nomad 45 2x12 I just purchased. I imagine the guy let it go to me fairly cheap BECAUSE to this noise. 8)

tampamike7 said:
Saved me from buying a new reverb tank for a Nomad 45 2x12 I just purchased. I imagine the guy let it go to me fairly cheap BECAUSE to this noise. 8)

I guess Nomads have a selling point now... "PRE-GIBSON!!!" :lol:

Re: reverb cables
Post by BluzCruz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Thank you, I couldn't find this information anywhere.

Back