Anyone have some playing time with both 6L6 and EL34's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott7d

Reaction score
Which did you like better? What were some advantages and disadvantages of both?

I am 100% satisfied with the cleans, as well as the throat-ripping tone of channel 3 with the 6L6's, but always open to new sounds!

Do you mean you put both 6L6 and EL34's in there? I've been hearing every where that you can, and that you can't. I'm confused!

thegaindeli said:
Say goodbye to your output transformer... :shock:

If you leave the bias select in the 6L6 position, there will be no problems running EL-34/6L6 a-la old school simulclass, as long as you are in the 45 or 90 watt power levels. The EL-34's will need to be in the middle pair of sockets, as they are the ones that are wired in (as the manual states) "Extended Class-A". The 10 watt setting Should Not be used with the tubes arranged in this manner. :shock:

4406cuda said:
Mesa is now saying you can not use both 6L6's and EL34's at the same time in the Mark V.

I'm sure that is the standard answer to prevent anyone from switching to the 10 watt setting and potentially hurting the amp. It's a warranty thing, I understand their response. Have either of you guys read the article about how Randall Smith designed the Duo-Class for the Lonestar? :shock:

thegaindeli said:
JOEY B. said:
4406cuda said:
Mesa is now saying you can not use both 6L6's and EL34's at the same time in the Mark V.

I'm sure that is the standard answer to prevent anyone from switching to the 10 watt setting and potentially hurting the amp. It's a warranty thing, I understand their response. Have either of you guys read the article about how Randall Smith designed the Duo-Class for the Lonestar? :shock:

Mmmmm :?

Copied and pasted without permission.

"Randall Smith’s Unique Tweaks

“I couldn’t have come up with the Lonestar Special right out of the gate,” admits Mesa/Boogie founder Randall Smith. “This new amp pays homage to the original Mark I in having cascadable gain stages, but the Lonestar Special’s Channel Assignable Power Switching, which allows you to select a different output wattage—30, 15, or 5 watts—for both channels, has taken me more than 35 years to develop.”
Smith actually has two power-amp patents pending for the Lonestar Special—one for the Channel Assignable Power Switching, and another for the single-ended (single power tube) to push-pull (two or more power tubes) switching scheme that’s a key feature of the new amp.
“The technical issue that has always existed in trying to get push-pull and single-ended from the same circuit is the output transformer—specifically, its iron core,” explains Smith. “For single-ended operation, the transformer needs to have a gapped core that’s open on one end—like a horseshoe magnet. This keeps the DC current going through the primary windings in only one direction from saturating the magnetic core. And if the core is saturated, then it can’t handle the signal, which is AC. With a push-pull circuit, the transformer doesn’t need the gap, because the DC goes into the center tap and then comes out the two push-pull sides in opposite directions. This creates two opposite magnetic fields that cancel each other, sort of like a humbucking pickup—thus preventing core saturation.”
The problem of how to switch a push-pull circuit to single-ended operation without also switching to a different output transformer remained unsolved until the answer flashed in Smith’s head one day.
“I was swimming in my pool when I suddenly realized that I could use one of the other output tubes to trick the output transformer into thinking it was operating push-pull all the time. I jumped out of the pool, went straight to my workshop to test the theory, and on the scope I could see that it worked.
“In the 5-watt setting, the Lonestar Special is sort of operating with two tubes—except only one is on for audio, and the other is being used for DC offset on the transformer. What this does to the impedance I have no idea. It’s probably all wrong, but it’s wrong in a good way. Of course, the cool thing isn’t just the reduction in power, it’s the ability to get that second harmonic in there, which is cancelled in a push-pull circuit. It puts that halo on the sound, which is one of the main reasons why amps with single-ended output stages—such as the Fender Champ—have long been so popular with guitarists.” —AT

"

thegaindeli said:
Say goodbye to your output transformer... :shock:

Hell, even mixed thoughts in this thread. I will be sticking to one or the other. I'll grab some EL34's to see what they are like. But I'm mostly a 6L6 guy.

thegaindeli said:
Just got through with a 2 hour jam session with MESA STR450 EL34 power-tubes. Results: I'm going to have one hell of a time getting all this goo off the front of my amp! :D If you're not an EL34 person - stick with the 6L6's. The EL34's are a more "musical" tube than the 6L6, due to it's longer plate. Same with the JJ's 12AX7's vs Sovtek LPS 12AX7's - or Tung-Sol. IMHO - all MKV's should ship with these tubes to begin with. Someone asked me what the sound difference is?
I replied: Imagine the sound of a 5 gallon bucket of marbles being thrown down a concrete stairwell... That's the 6L6 sound. Now imagine the same size bucket of marbles being thrown down a flight of stairs made of wood... That's the EL34 sound. Hope this helps?
Hmm. I read your comparison of the wood vs concrete stairs. Personally, I've never tried 34's. Are they anything like 84's? I'd love a more organic sound on the gain without having a low end that's too loose.

thegaindeli said:
EtherealWidow said:
thegaindeli said:
Just got through with a 2 hour jam session with MESA STR450 EL34 power-tubes. Results: I'm going to have one hell of a time getting all this goo off the front of my amp! :D If you're not an EL34 person - stick with the 6L6's. The EL34's are a more "musical" tube than the 6L6, due to it's longer plate. Same with the JJ's 12AX7's vs Sovtek LPS 12AX7's - or Tung-Sol. IMHO - all MKV's should ship with these tubes to begin with. Someone asked me what the sound difference is?
I replied: Imagine the sound of a 5 gallon bucket of marbles being thrown down a concrete stairwell... That's the 6L6 sound. Now imagine the same size bucket of marbles being thrown down a flight of stairs made of wood... That's the EL34 sound. Hope this helps?
Hmm. I read your comparison of the wood vs concrete stairs. Personally, I've never tried 34's. Are they anything like 84's? I'd love a more organic sound on the gain without having a low end that's too loose.

The EL84, and EL34 are like brothers! Very much the same sound between them. Tighter low-end (which every Boogie needs IMO), with rounder high end. Not nearly as "spikey"! Wait until you play it with the EL34's in the 10 watt setting... :D The MKV is the king of Boogie's!!!
Really? I always thought that ELxx tubes had a looser low end. The rounder top and mids is REALLY what I'm looking for. Really dynamic. Guess I know what I'm asking for this Christmas.

thegaindeli said:
EtherealWidow said:
thegaindeli said:

The EL84, and EL34 are like brothers! Very much the same sound between them. Tighter low-end (which every Boogie needs IMO), with rounder high end. Not nearly as "spikey"! Wait until you play it with the EL34's in the 10 watt setting... :D The MKV is the king of Boogie's!!!
34's lose my attention somewhat on the cleans...hence the preference of blending the two

would someone mind elaborating on how the clean suffers from el-34 (and saying its not as clean doesnt help)

thanks much
dmc

dmcguitar said:
would someone mind elaborating on how the clean suffers from el-34 (and saying its not as clean doesnt help)

thanks much
dmc
Well I don't have much experience at all with EL tubes but from what I hear they break up much sooner and don't offer the pristine cleanliness that the 6L6's do.

me said:
tonight I may just put two EL34s in the inner and leave the outer empty, try out some 45w goodness.

just FYI this worked out great. sounded awesome. For the cover band I set the amp up for three dirty channels. tweed-tube/crunch-diode/iic+. I was very happy with the sounds i was getting tonight. spongy vintage overdrive / tighter distortion / mark series destruction

ethereal do you want to buy my zinc bronco V combo? i have some emergency bills i need to take care of.

Dude I really wish I could help you out Phyrexia but I too have some emergency bills of my own. Anniversary, car insurance, and a speeding ticket. Fun fun fun...

Back