Mark V tidbits

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cho

Reaction score
Don't want to add fuel to fire, but just wanted to pass along a couple tidbits about the Mark V I got from the folks at Mesa Boogie Hollywood:

"amp IS coming out in a couple months" (to me: implies Winter NAMM!) :D
"3 independent channels, contour control on each channel"
"1 Graphic EQ"
"Selectable power sections. like simul class but different, more like the newer amps"

Then I asked, will it come in a short head? Answer: "No, there's just too much stuff to fit in that small space" :cry:

Anyway, like all the other info, I take it with a grain of salt until it actually arrives...lessons in patience.... :wink:

cho said:
"Selectable power sections. like simul class but different, more like the newer amps"
like silicon or tube rectification (?) :oops:

Well, some of the final prototypes for the Mark V were pretty much spot on to what you described. Some of the things that were possibilities to end up on the final revision were indeed:

3 completely independent channels
Progressive linkage
Contour controls for each channel
Selectable voicing on channels 2-3
Slightly revoiced clean channel
Modernized (more user friendly) layout

One thing I've not heard was whether or not channels 2-3 will both have a lead voicing sort of sound (or at least have it be switchable). Should be interesting to see what ended up on the production model.

Can't wait to hear these amps. If they have silicon or diode switch for each channel and a better clean channel then I will DEFINITELY be getting one of these. I wonder what it will look like?!

I did not hear which channels would have the selectable power sections, but he did mention that they would be "different voicings", as others have described. He also described the voicings by saying they were "like the Mark I , II, etc.) but I don't know if he meant specifically those voicings, or was just making a general comparison. In hindsight, I guess I should have asked more questions...

I think this stuff could be true, but then again, we don't know if its speculation or not. I think it'll definitely come out, but when, who knows. Sometimes I think the Mesa Reps and all that don't even know what they're talking about. I've heard so many different Mark V stories, that I find anything I hear about the Mark V I don't generally believe.

Boogie have such a sweet range out there at the moment, it's a perfect time to combine the technologies and sounds from the likes of the Road King, Lone Star, Stiletto etc... and mix it with some old school Mark series magic. As someone who uses a Mark I and IV in tandem, I'm really looking out for some voicing switches a la Road King/Lone Star, but with the Mark series tone as a base. Can't wait!

i'm excited about seeing and playing these, but my hopes are definitly not up as far as liking it more than what they've already made.
i just hope they don't put the same tone sucking fx loop they've put in stuff like the stiletto.
i also hope that they keep the whole tweed/full power thing. there is more of a tone difference in that, to me, than the 100/50 switch on the roadster/road king.

JimAnsell said:
i just hope they don't put the same tone sucking fx loop they've put in stuff like the stiletto.

Cant agree more 8)

Aside form those other features that are floating, I also hope they make the spongy/bold function available for each channel.

well, in a month or so we'll see :)

If this summary turns out to be accurate then it doesn't seem like that big a leap from the Mark IV. They seem like useful enhancements but nothing earth shattering. In the end though it come down to the tone not the bells and whistles. So, if it properly extends the sound-scape of the Mark series while retaining it's core tone then it should be great.

i call bs on all this mark v crap. that picture was just a photoshop, im the one who chopped it anyways :lol: their big naam reveal is actually gonna be this new solid state amp that uses windows vista and teh interwebz to allow any tone possible. thus killing off all amp manufacturers claiming mesa boogie as supreme ruler of domination of all things amplified.

newfinator said:
If this summary turns out to be accurate then it doesn't seem like that big a leap from the Mark IV. They seem like useful enhancements but nothing earth shattering. In the end though it come down to the tone not the bells and whistles. So, if it properly extends the sound-scape of the Mark series while retaining it's core tone then it should be great.

I agree with that. Every time the numeral changed, the amp changed it's sound. That's why it's cool to compare them all where each one excels at different things. If you're going to call it a Mark V I hope it's a different sound approach otherwise you might as well call it a Mark IV stage II.

10/50/100 for each channel I bet.

voicing switch would switch gain before preamp (mark I) or after first gain stage (after mark I)

Back