I don't love my Mark V

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan, Platypus

Jeronimo
Donating Member

Re: I don't love my Mark V

Post by Jeronimo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:58 am

So you already started the tube rolling thing? Hope it works out for you.
I see you have the EQ on on channels 1 and 2? Do you use the sliders or the preset? Settings on the EQ sliders are in most cases optimised for channel 3.
Mesa Mark V Combo
Marshall JTM60 2x12
Fender American Strat Plus Deluxe
Ibanez JEM 777 FP-1
Yamaha CPX900

Hardy
Bottle Rocket

Post by Hardy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:07 am

Hey Man,

I can totally relate......I’m pretty keen on the rectumfier and have had my roadster since ‘08 I think and thought I would blend it with a Mark IV, have always wanted a MIV but thought the latest and greatest had to have been better and bought a head MV without spending a decent amount of time on a MV. I’m on your side I think the amp lacks on CH 3 but I’ll keep the amp just for channels 1 and 2. Channel 2 is the shiz for me personally. I’ve had the amp since late ‘11 or ‘12 and as soon as I had it home I couldn’t get the channels to line up with the thinness of CH 3. Most likely user error but I would like to think after 7 or 8 yrs I would have a decent handle on how to tie it all together. Horses for courses but all in all I have good days with the amp then I have great days........ much like a marriage :lol:

Good luck champ.

Don
Single Recto

Post by Don » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:31 am

Different amp, but it may affect your situation- I found my Mark Five:25 to sound pretty dull and lifeless unless I turn up the channel masters and use an attenuator with it (when required).

ranchak
Mark I

Post by ranchak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:39 am

Jeronimo wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:58 am
So you already started the tube rolling thing? Hope it works out for you.
I see you have the EQ on on channels 1 and 2? Do you use the sliders or the preset? Settings on the EQ sliders are in most cases optimised for channel 3.
The eq is on preset for those channels. I actually tweaked channel two, here is my new settings

Mark I
EQ on
90 watt
Normal mode

G 1:30
M 2:30
P 2:30
T 2:45
M 9:00
B off

Gives more of a classic rock sound. Now onto that damn speaker!

ranchak
Mark I

Post by ranchak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:41 am

Hardy wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:07 am
Hey Man,

I can totally relate......I’m pretty keen on the rectumfier and have had my roadster since ‘08 I think and thought I would blend it with a Mark IV, have always wanted a MIV but thought the latest and greatest had to have been better and bought a head MV without spending a decent amount of time on a MV. I’m on your side I think the amp lacks on CH 3 but I’ll keep the amp just for channels 1 and 2. Channel 2 is the shiz for me personally. I’ve had the amp since late ‘11 or ‘12 and as soon as I had it home I couldn’t get the channels to line up with the thinness of CH 3. Most likely user error but I would like to think after 7 or 8 yrs I would have a decent handle on how to tie it all together. Horses for courses but all in all I have good days with the amp then I have great days........ much like a marriage :lol:

Good luck champ.
Thanks, I’m going to spend some time today and try to get something happening with channel three. I’ve had my ups and downs with this channel, just like a marriage.

ranchak
Mark I

Post by ranchak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:43 am

Don wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:31 am
Different amp, but it may affect your situation- I found my Mark Five:25 to sound pretty dull and lifeless unless I turn up the channel masters and use an attenuator with it (when required).
Mine is the same way, more volume and the channels open up and the blanket falls off

ranchak
Mark I

Post by ranchak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:18 pm

Update

I replaced the C90 speaker for a WGS ET65, this cured the boxyness that I was getting with the C90.

Replaced V4 and V7 with JAN Phillips 12AT7WC

I made some adjustments and now I’m pretty close to having this amp dialed in on all three channels!

16 ohm speaker running in the 4 ohm output.

Once I decide I most likely will get an 8 ohm WGS ET95 or maybe their version of the EVM12L. Not really sure and right now I can continue to use the ET 65 that I have, I don’t think I’m pushing enough power to blow it up.

Here is what I have my settings at:

Channel One
Fat
EQ off
90 watt
Bold

G 11:00
M 2:30
P 2:00
T 2:30
M 9:30
B off

Channel Two
Mark I
EQ on
45 watt

G 9:15
M 2:45
T 4:00
M 11:00
B 7:00

Channel Three
Extreme
EQ on
90 watt
Bright mode

G 1:30
M 1:00
T 3:15
M 10:00
B 7:30

Graphic EQ

80hz mid way between top line and middle line
240 hz top of knob below middle line
750 hz 1/8” below middle line
2200 hz on middle line
6600 hz bottom of knob above the middle line

Effects loop 12:00
Master Volume 8:30
Full power

This puts the amp in the 92 - 94 dB range. A little tweaking on the channel volumes and I probably could get to 90 dB.

I think the last thing I’m going to try is some more tubes, but I’m Not sure what to try next I read a bunch of posts about tubes, but the only thing that I took out of it was swapping V4 and V7. Maybe some gold pin 12AX7Ss, long plate 12AX7Ss? Different 6L6s maybe STR 445.

All in all I’m starting to like my Mark V. I can hear my tones starting to come out of the amp. It’s been frustrating and being new to MESA Boogie this amp doesn’t react like a Marshall. The tone knobs react differently and once you get the hang of it, it becomes tonal bliss!

mace
Mark III

Post by mace » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:59 pm

iceman wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 am
I have a Flashback in the loop that does not like an input signal that is too hot.

This is so true! The Flashback gets "overloaded" without turning the SEND level down to about 10 or 11 o'clock, especially if channel master is up above 10:30 or so on channels 2 and 3. What will happen is the echoes from the flashback will max out and be relatively quiet with respect to the original signal. This is a weird thing and I'm not sure if the Mark V or the Flashback are at fault here. I wonder if the Flashback X4 version 2 has this issue?

Sorry for the off topic comment. As far as the OP, I think that backing off the masters to somewhere between 9 and 11 o'clock will help because you can turn up the output higher.

My experience has been this amp sounds much better opened up and live in a band setting. When I practice it just sounds great with a lot of punch and cut and fluidity in channel 3. Channel 2 Crunch gives a great old school rock tone at 12 o'clock gain with 3 o'clock mids. Now, when I get home and keep all settings the same and lower the volume for home practice, it sounds a bit honky and nasily. At any rate, I'm glad that the amp sounds great in a live band setting at volume and not the other way around (great at home, crap in a band). But honestly, it sounds great at home, but I do have to tweak the settings somewhat.

I suppose the comment "if you want an amp to have a one great tone in 5 minutes, then this amp isn't it" would apply. This amp is full of great many great tones but does take some patience/learning.
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #2a TC50 combo, #2b Rectoverb 25 head

ranchak
Mark I

Post by ranchak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:27 pm

mace wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:59 pm
iceman wrote:
I have a Flashback in the loop that does not like an input signal that is too hot.

This is so true! The Flashback gets "overloaded" without turning the SEND level down to about 10 or 11 o'clock, especially if channel master is up above 10:30 or so on channels 2 and 3. What will happen is the echoes from the flashback will max out and be relatively quiet with respect to the original signal. This is a weird thing and I'm not sure if the Mark V or the Flashback are at fault here. I wonder if the Flashback X4 version 2 has this issue?

Sorry for the off topic comment. As far as the OP, I think that backing off the masters to somewhere between 9 and 11 o'clock will help because you can turn up the output higher.

My experience has been this amp sounds much better opened up and live in a band setting. When I practice it just sounds great with a lot of punch and cut and fluidity in channel 3. Channel 2 Crunch gives a great old school rock tone at 12 o'clock gain with 3 o'clock mids. Now, when I get home and keep all settings the same and lower the volume for home practice, it sounds a bit honky and nasily. At any rate, I'm glad that the amp sounds great in a live band setting at volume and not the other way around (great at home, crap in a band). But honestly, it sounds great at home, but I do have to tweak the settings somewhat.

I suppose the comment "if you want an amp to have a one great tone in 5 minutes, then this amp isn't it" would apply. This amp is full of great many great tones but does take some patience/learning.
We are going to rehearse with a drummer this week so I will get a chance to see how my amp setting are going to work. I will try turning the master up and lowering the channel volumes. I’m sure this will help the amp have a more open feeling

Jeronimo
Donating Member

Post by Jeronimo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:57 am

ranchak wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:27 pm
We are going to rehearse with a drummer this week so I will get a chance to see how my amp setting are going to work. I will try turning the master up and lowering the channel volumes. I’m sure this will help the amp have a more open feeling
How did the band rehearsal work out?
Mesa Mark V Combo
Marshall JTM60 2x12
Fender American Strat Plus Deluxe
Ibanez JEM 777 FP-1
Yamaha CPX900

ranchak
Mark I

Post by ranchak » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:30 am

Jeronimo the Mark V sounded good. I still need to spend more time with the amp at rehearsal volumes.

iceman
Mark III

Post by iceman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pm

I have been struggling also with combo amps using C90.
Couldn't agree more. Clean on C90 is nice but does not do the Mark V justice. Completely different sound when I went to a 2x12 ported and added a ET65 to the mix. Shout out for port city cabs too BTW!

Speaker/cab is such a huge piece of the signal chain. The same cab/speaker combo I use for the Mark is way too bassy for my RA100 (for example).
Roadster 2x12
Mark III SRG Blue, IV, V
RA 100
Triaxis
PortCity 2x12 OS

ranchak
Mark I

Post by ranchak » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm

iceman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pm
I have been struggling also with combo amps using C90.
Couldn't agree more. Clean on C90 is nice but does not do the Mark V justice. Completely different sound when I went to a 2x12 ported and added a ET65 to the mix. Shout out for port city cabs too BTW!

Speaker/cab is such a huge piece of the signal chain. The same cab/speaker combo I use for the Mark is way too bassy for my RA100 (for example).
Isn’t that funny how amps don’t like certain cabinets and pedals. My EVH 2x12 cab with G30 Anniversaries sounded great with my Revv D20 and my Marshall SC20, not so good with Mark V. I currently have an ET65 and a Reaper 50 in it and the Mark V is really bassy with that cab. If I mix the Widebody loaded with an ET65 it takes a bunch of the bass away.

I’m still learning and trying different things, tonight my settings didn’t sound all that good. Probably me, but they sounded a bit boxy, not open and airy. I’m going to keep trying different settings, might even try a 10 band GEQ in the effects loop.

This weekend I’m going to try some Mullard 12AX7s and see if there is any change. I remember reading something on hear that swapping one of the tubes out tightened up the low end and got rid of some of the boominess. I’m going to read through the Saturation Mod thread and see what I can learn.

On your amp, or anyone else who wants to jump in, are the Mark I and Mark IV settings overly bassy and muddy? I know if you get the Master volume up it helps, but I’m not sure if I can run my Master volume high enough to eliminate the excess bottom end. Also the tone controls don’t seem to have much effect on these two settings, is this just my amp?
Last edited by ranchak on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ranchak
Mark I

Post by ranchak » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 pm

mace wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:59 pm
iceman wrote:

I forgot to try your setting for Channel two, I meant to try it and got side tracked. I’ve been trying to use the Mark I setting, but I seam to have a love/hate relationship for it. I guess I haven’t found the settings to fall in love with it yet.

iceman
Mark III

Post by iceman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 am

ranchak wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm
On your amp, or anyone else who wants to jump in, are the Mark I and Mark IV settings overly bassy and muddy? I know if you get the Master volume up it helps, but I’m not sure if I can run my Master volume high enough to eliminate the excess bottom end. Also the tone controls don’t seem to have much effect on these two settings, is this just my amp?
Yes Mark I and Mark IV modes have more bass. Mark I especially. It will also depend on the guitar I use on how those channels react, will often have set bass to 0 on Mark I and barely much more on Mark IV mode. Power settings will also play a role like pentode/triode etc. Image
Roadster 2x12
Mark III SRG Blue, IV, V
RA 100
Triaxis
PortCity 2x12 OS