Mark V distasteful overdriven buzz

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRory

Reaction score
Hey all. Recently I took my Mark V 90w head out of storage, where it's been sitting for 9~ months. I warmed it up and started playing, and while the cleans sounded great, and the heavy metal channel 3 sounds ruled, the light to moderate overdriven tones didn't do it for me (mostly what I use nowadays). In fact, I preferred my Bugera v22 over it, which is what I've mostly been playing.

I decided to give it a go again the next day, and while there was one moment that truly made me smile, the rest of the time I wasn't stoked. I listened closely and noticed a distasteful buzz on the overdriven sounds of channel 2 and 3, and a bit of 1. I recorded it with my phone to see if I could share it with you all for feedback.

The first minute and a half is me testing it through my Bugera speaker along to a looper I have going. Starting at 1:44, it's going through it's usual Mills Acoustics 2x12 w/ V30s. It's not the cabs, and it's not my guitar. Definitely the amp.

https://soundcloud.com/rocknrory/annoying-mesa-buzz/s-o9xQ9

What do you think of it? Is this the natural overdriven sound of the Mark V? Perhaps I just don't like the tone anymore. If it does sound strange to you, good, because I'd love to fix it and love my Mark V again. I've recently thought about selling it.

Cheers,
Rory

Presence and treble you can play with first off. I really back off the graphic eq treb for all channels anyway. To be honest there are so many ways to make the V sound sweet or shitty i cant count them. Takes alot of patience. Bit the rewards from this amp are superior to anything I’ve ever owned including a jvm.

I had a similar experience with my MKV, but to me it was something in the midrange that I just could not get through.... a harshness that if dialed out in the EQ took all the clarity out of the tone and would bring on the mud. Ended up selling the MKV as that was my impression anytime I played it for a couple of practices/gigs.

I've learned that I'm more of a Recto/Marshall guy. I always end up back with my Roadster in the A-Rig.

The other thing you could do is sell it to me for a dollar if you don’t like it so much. 😂

I think I can hear that buzz the OP is talking about. But, it seems more pronounced with the mills V30 setup. If it can't be dialed out with presence or treble then I dunno. It doesn't sound normal per se, but not sure what settings the OP had for sure. I would agree if "trusting your ears" is the motto, then the tone needs some adjusting.

What mode is Ch2 in? I know that with EDGE I dial the treble down to about 9-10 o'clock and presence below noon, otherwise it seems to harsh and, dare I say, edge-y. CRUNCH I run usually gain 11-1 o'clock, with a lot of mid-range and treble maybe at 1-2 o'clock, very little bass. This CRUNCH setting sounds OK at home, a little honky...but with the band when the amp is opened up it is just really, really nice rock and roll tones.

There is a whole thread about "ice pick gain' on the MKV some change V4 with a 12 AT7 instead of the AX7 , I changed the power tubes to EL34 as to my ear it reacted more like my old Boogies.
It does sound like you have the presence set to high

In order to minimize the "buzz" on mine I have to hard bypass the loop. In addition the AT7 in V4 and the use of EL34s further help the issue.

Back