New-ish owner. Mark V 35 Tube explanation.

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

hudakhan
Bottle Rocket

New-ish owner. Mark V 35 Tube explanation.

Post by hudakhan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Fellas. First post. I've been lurking this forum for a few years, drooling over owning a Mark V someday. I got a new Mark V 35 combo about 8 months ago from the local music shop and could not have been happier. Gotta love 12 months, no interest financing. I love just looking at this thing, let alone hear it scream.

I have a bit of noise / hum in channel 2. Volume can be turned off on the guitar and amp, but I hear a hum / hiss noise. I want to troubleshoot the tubes. I've already had to replace a preamp tube. Need some help deciphering the tube diagram in the owner's manual.

I'm assuming V1-V10 means valve 1-10, but I don't know what the V1A or V1B mean and the manual doesn't explain.

Any help would be appreciated.

mace
Mark III

Re: New-ish owner. Mark V 35 Tube explanation.

Post by mace » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 pm

V1A and V1B are both inside the V1 tube. In other words, each pre-amp tube (AX7) has two different 'paths'. So, a single tube can be used for two different things. For example, the A side can be used for a gain stage and the B side used for reverb return (or whatever).

So, if your channel 2 is having issues, trouble shoot any pre-amp tube which has any mention of having a channel 2 gain stage (either A or B path of the tube).
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #1b TC50 combo, #3 Rectoverb 25 head

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Post by stephen sawall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 am

Pull one preamp tube at a time and replace with a good one...till you find the problem.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

hudakhan
Bottle Rocket

Post by hudakhan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 pm

That makes sense. That helps. Appreciate the advice. I'm gonna pick up a few tubes and see if I can get this fixed.

Jfriley
Bottle Rocket

Post by Jfriley » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:22 am

I have the same amp head, my set up is fairly noisy (saturation mod plus Tubescreamer in front) so I have the TC Electronics sentry in the chain. You can connect it so that the gate sits in front AND in the loop, and it does the trick very well.