Need to darken the clean channel just a touch...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff3

Reaction score
I typically run my Mark V:90 in 90 watt mode with EL34s (Variac Power.)

For the clean channel, after much fiddling I've actually come back to the "generic" (not fat, not tweed) setting because it gets me closest to my Two-Rock and my CAA OD100 Classic+ clean tones - those are my benchmarks.

And while I'm not trying to get my Mark V to sound like those, I find that, even with the Treble and Presence way down, there is a high frequency in there I can't get rid of...

When I play clean, I really don't notice it, when I have to use it as a pedal platform, it's VERY apparent because the OD pedals that sound great with the TR or CAA sound like a can of bees.

I'm using Mesa stock 12AX7s, and my EL34s are Winged "C". I don't think the power tubes would create this sort of high frequency response, I suspect a preamp tube. But which one? And replace it with what?

This is my question to you fine people...

I do NOT use the Graphic EQ on the clean channel. I've tried, but I need the graphic on Channels 2 and 3, and the same settings simply won't work for channel 1.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Your V1 slot may like the Tungsol 12ax7 (Goldpin)

That works for me. Beautifully rounded. 12AT7 in V7 too.

Buy a guitar that has the tone you want through your amp.

See how easy that is. No need to change the tube. Perfectly justified guitar purchase.

/\ Or even just pickups... but if that doesn't do it.... the tubeswaps an effective option.

Depends if you're talking about amp-stage issues or guitar-stage, I guess...

OldTelecasterMan said:
Buy a guitar that has the tone you want through your amp.

See how easy that is. No need to change the tube. Perfectly justified guitar purchase.

Love it! I am always looking for new "reasons" to get a another guitar.

Darken the clean channel just a touch? Adjust the "Tone" knob... Or adjust the tone knob on a new guitar in the music store, buy the guitar and that can be your darker tone.

Back