MV90 Swapping inner and outer pair of power tubes, safe?

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

BrownieD2W
Mark II

MV90 Swapping inner and outer pair of power tubes, safe?

Post by BrownieD2W » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Hey guys,

Been awhile since I've posted. I'm low on cash and have some gigs coming up in September, haven't replaced my tubes in about 18 months, and I put quite a few hours on them a week. I almost exclusively play in the 45w setting w/ EL34's and the Tube Rectifier on. 1) Do many of you guys run your Mark V the same way, and more importantly 2) Assuming that the 45w mode is only running the Inner Pair of power tubes, would it be safe to assume that I could get a little more life out of my tubes if I swap the Outer Pair for the Inner Pair to get me through the month?
- '09 Mark V Combo
- DC-5B Head
- '88 Barrington BRG884TC Pearl
- '96 Gibson Explorer
- Viking Cabinets Diagonal 2x12 (MC-90 & V-30)
- Marshall 1960B 4x12
-Swampwerks Custom Hiwatt DR103
-Boogafunk 2x(2x15) Speaker Cabinets

mace
Mark III

Re: MV90 Swapping inner and outer pair of power tubes, safe?

Post by mace » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:57 am

Hi,

1) I don’t run the same way.
2) That would work to swap inners and outers. The inners should be the same color and the outers should be the same color.

For my V all power tubes are the same color. Mostly 10W is used because that’s the “home” power setting. Once in a while I’ll swap left pair with right pair. Does it help extend life? I have no idea but it doesn’t hurt.
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #1b TC50 combo, #3 Rectoverb 25 head

OldTelecasterMan
Mark III

Post by OldTelecasterMan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:48 am

I actually would not even swap them. I would take spares. If they have issues change them. Tubes actually last quite a while. I mean I can always tell when I put in a fresh set as the amp feels sharper and crisp but only you would hear the difference.
Boogie F-30
Mark V
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Two 2X12 Vert. Cabs.
Two 2x12 Compact Cabs.
Telecasters, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Howard Roberts Jazz Fusion and many more.
http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Peter_Savell

bandit2013
Triple Recto

Post by bandit2013 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:45 am

Sure, it is only safe to do so with the power switch turned off. Since the MKV90 cannot be run with an integrated quad like the older sinul-class Mark amps (EL34+6L6) you should be fine to swap the inner and outer pair of tubes. If you use the 10W mode a lot, remove both sets of tubes but keep them paired up and swap the left and right tube in the pair before you swap the inner to outer.