Heavy metal pickups that like the mark v

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpingua

Reaction score
Hi guys

Building a new setup, PRS Se single cut with mark v head and mesa 4x12. Shooting for high gain but more old school high gain...thrash and early death metal type.

What pick ups would work well in this scenario. Ideally passive pickups.

Suggestions?

Gibson 500T for the bridge
and the 496R fir the neck.

They're amazing in Flying Vs.
Searing liquid leads great attack and sustain, and heinous organic crunch on tap also. Warm and articulate.

Believe it or not, the Dimarzio Super Distortion is great for old school metal and thrash. I have been using them for years in my Strats and G&L Legacy. And of course you can never go wrong with an EMG 81.

I have a variety of pickups in my guitars including SD Black Winters, Sh-6, Sh-12, EMG 80/85 but my fav with the Mark V are the JBs in my RR 1.

I really like the Mark V. I just feel like Channel 2 needs just a little more gain (in crunch mode) and I am hoping good heavy metalish pickups will make up that ground.

Right now I am looking at the Duncan Distortions, Black Winter and now the JBs.

Thank you for the comments! Keep em coming.

What kind of music do you play? I do rock and thrash with channel 2 at half gain but drive it with a Mojo Mojo overdrive. Tbh i like cleaner pickups because its gets too muddy and less percussive for thrash. However those black winters are sweet.

I run EMG 81/85 at 18v in my Schecter and Seymour Duncan Alnico pro ii's in my Les Paul and both sound killer. The EMG's cover everything from sweet clean to full on melt down for me very well. And the Seymour Duncans have a different flavour equally as nice in the Les Paul.

Back