The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:54 pm 
Triple Recto

I see. I hope you get a resolve on your issue.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:27 pm 
Bottle Rocket

bandit2013 wrote:
I see. I hope you get a resolve on your issue.

Thank you!

With the help provided by all you friendly and knowledgeable people on this board, I feel like I am ready to send the amp in for service.

In a second reply from MESA the tech writes:

Quote:
HI [name removed],

Yes, I did receive your message. One of our workers dislocated his shoulder in hockey game (how delightfully Finnish by the way:-D) . Now I have to do most of his work too for awhile so I´m a bit overbooked. Sorry for the delay.

Power cable is checked. The only possible thing I see is power tube badly seated(not fully in) in its socket. But symptoms dont really point there though it´d be easy to for you to check. Not much more you can do for yourself really.

Of course there can be outside issues like badly regulated power. This happens sometimes in training rooms as the current available fluctuates and affects the amps inner voltages which confuses the amps relays. Or short circuits elsewhere in the signal chain(most usually in speaker cabs).

Denmark has been difficult market for us as no dealer is willing to give effort to Boogie. This means your closest Official Service Station is in Malmö, just over the Bridge. Great store, knows Boogie and they have Service Station inside with exclusive access to Mesa/Boogie Tech Support. You don´t have to ship your amp to USA. I´ll include Malmö contact info here:

As the diodes as mentioned in a previous post by another user affects the relays I really think I have come closer to a solution and a fix.

I will update this thread with information about the outcome of all this, and try to get the tech to give an explanation of what caused this issue, for future reference in case that some MESA owner in the future will face the same problem and have the same troubles I had getting a grasp on how to understand and describe the problem to a service center.

Also, this tech from Finland, whoever he may be is a very friendly and professional person and that is simply a great feeling when you are frustrated and troubled by the thought of just having to make do with a malfunctioning amp.

I thank you all.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:25 pm 
Mark II

So, are there any updates to report on this issue? I ask, because I just noticed the same behavior with my Mark V (90) head. EXACT symptom.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:32 am 
Mark I

I have very similar symptoms with my amp. Very random but probably once a week the amp will shut down and back on. I hear the fan shut off, the relays click, and then everything starts up again, all within a second or less. Occasionally it will do it again within a few seconds. It seems once the amp is warmed up for a few minutes it doesn’t happen, it seems always within a minute of turning it on from a cold start.

One detail that I did not see in the OPs original description of the problem is this: when it happens to my MK V, the foot switch immediately goes into “power up” mode, whereby all three channel LEDs are illuminated at once. The amp reverts to the clean channel. Does this also happen when your amp momentarily shuts down and back on again?

Thanks for any updates on your situation and best of luck!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:38 pm 
Bottle Rocket

royslead wrote:
So, are there any updates to report on this issue? I ask, because I just noticed the same behavior with my Mark V (90) head. EXACT symptom.

notyalcer wrote:
I have very similar symptoms with my amp. Very random but probably once a week the amp will shut down and back on. I hear the fan shut off, the relays click, and then everything starts up again, all within a second or less. Occasionally it will do it again within a few seconds. It seems once the amp is warmed up for a few minutes it doesn’t happen, it seems always within a minute of turning it on from a cold start.

One detail that I did not see in the OPs original description of the problem is this: when it happens to my MK V, the foot switch immediately goes into “power up” mode, whereby all three channel LEDs are illuminated at once. The amp reverts to the clean channel. Does this also happen when your amp momentarily shuts down and back on again?

My amp has been in a repair shop for nearly 3(!) months - since the beginning of March until now. I haven't got it back yet. The tech was able to actually see the issue with his own eyes which by itself was almost a miracle.

They soldered everything off and back on, and they believe that the issue is located in the diodes in the 12V circuit and have replaced that but they also say that they have no way of testing and reproducing the error, so it is anyone's guess if it is actually fixed.

It is very, very frustrating.

With regards to the foot switch, I simply haven't noticed if it behaves odd when it happens - the time is too short and all my focus has been on the amp itself.

All I can say about the foot switch is that when the amp comes back on, the foot switch will turn on on the same channel as it was before shut down.

I hope you guys get it fixed but be prepared for a lengthy and frustrating experience.

Best regards from Denmark.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:53 pm 
Mark I

notyalcer wrote:

This sounds exactly like the failing diodes I had. Eventually, the amp just died and wouldn’t come back on. It was under warranty so they sent me to a tech who replaced them in about 2 hours (actually let me stay and watch/assist) and it has been good every since. I recommend you just go ahead and talk to Mesa service and schedule the diode replacement.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:34 pm 
Mark II

I have not noticed the foot switch symptoms, just the clicking, lights at the amp cycling rapidly; and usually just once, then it's ok.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:52 am 
Mark I

jaslan wrote:
notyalcer wrote:

This sounds exactly like the failing diodes I had. Eventually, the amp just died and wouldn’t come back on. It was under warranty so they sent me to a tech who replaced them in about 2 hours (actually let me stay and watch/assist) and it has been good every since. I recommend you just go ahead and talk to Mesa service and schedule the diode replacement.

That is helpful information! Thank you. I have only owned my Mark V for a few months, got it used with 2 years left on the tanferable warranty. I have not playing this amp live yet, not gigging that much but have some gigs coming up in late summer/fall. If the amp did this routine during a performance, it would reset to the clean channel which could be disconcerting while playing, but not a total disaster.

Probably need to get this fixed while under warranty. You may have already mentioned, but which diodes were failing? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:11 am 
Mark I

notyalcer wrote:
...which diodes were failing?

All I know is they were in the power supply section... I think...