Help Please! Mes Mark V Combo Front Panel Bezel Replacement

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donmcnevin

Reaction score
Help!
I purchased a Mark V Combo on Reverb for what I suppose is a "decent" price... but... the Front Panel Bezel is severerly discolored, almost looks chemical damaged or heat damaged or something. I can see that the bezel is held in place by (12) rather small socket head cap-screws that have nuts on the back side of the panel that don't look like fun trying to get to as they are buried deep in the chassis, behind the transformer, etc.

Has anyone here disassembled the Mark V Combo to this extent?
Or even better yet, has anyone here performed this same part replacement and can provide some helpful tips or instructions for accomplishing this task?

Thanks!

Don

donmcnevin said:
Help!
I purchased a Mark V Combo on Reverb for what I suppose is a "decent" price... but... the Front Panel Bezel is severerly discolored, almost looks chemical damaged or heat damaged or something. I can see that the bezel is held in place by (12) rather small socket head cap-screws that have nuts on the back side of the panel that don't look like fun trying to get to as they are buried deep in the chassis, behind the transformer, etc.

Has anyone here disassembled the Mark V Combo to this extent?
Or even better yet, has anyone here performed this same part replacement and can provide some helpful tips or instructions for accomplishing this task?

Thanks!

Don
Sorry Don, That is not one thing I would be willing to tackle unless I was in a position like you. Sounds like a huge deal to disassemble.

Well, I went for it and was successful. I still don't know why the original was discolored.
I think the anodizing was kind of poor and turned purplish, and the previous owner used some chemical to clean the faceplate. Anyway, looks great now.
This is a moderately difficult fix.
Please keep in mind you are exposing yourself to potential high voltage. So if you don't have an electronics background please don't attempt this.

All you need to do is unplug the power cable at the amplifier, unplug the speaker at the amp output, remove the power tube grill, remove all the preamp and power tubes and set them aside making sure to keep the inside matched pair of power tubes and matched outside power tubes organized. Next, remove the 4 long machine screws from the top of the amp. These are the amp chassis screws. Then , flip the amp upside down and loosen the jack screw that helps support the very large transformer.
Once the screws are out, and the jack screws are loose, you can remove the amplifier chassis. It will pull straight out of the back of the amp. It is quite heavy so be prepared to support the weight.
Once the amp chassis is out, you're ready to remove the bezel from the front of the amp chassis. The bezel has the white screen printing indicating the amp is a Mark V, has Standby/On markings, etc...
Next, using a 3/16 hex wrench and pliers (or preferably locking scissor clamp) grab the nut with the pliers and loosen the cap screws. Be sure not to lose any of the nuts in the chassis as they can easily fall in. A couple of places do not have nuts on the back and simply screw into the chassis body. Once all screws are removed, pull the bezel from the chassis, put the new bezel on and assemble in reverse order of disassembly.

Latest posts

Back