The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 am 
Triple Recto

Here is an update on the Celesiton Crème 90W ALNICO. If you find your Mark V on the brittle side on CH3, the Crème 90W Alnico may work for you, however, if your amp is not brittle in tone (mine was until I modified a few circuits) it will sound like a blanket over the amp. The Crème does have a strong bottom end to it and may tend to sound muddy. I did like the tone before I made the mods and was also running 12AX7 tubes in the preamp. In my opinion, it is not a good fit for the Mark V, I am not sure I even like them in the RA100 combo either. This would also mean the Red Back will have that blanket effect in tone but the bottom end may be a bit better in response. I would also not consider the OTR speaker as that also has a strong relief on the top end with more midrange, bottom end is about the same as an EV classic. EV black label is a bit more full spectrum.

The MC90 is not bad but tends to have a short life pushing it hard. To date I have killed three of them (one in the Mark IV and two in the Mark V, for some reason the dust caps seem to separate from the speaker cone, never had any luck with those).

The 90W Mark V is difficult to match up with a speaker as I had found the peak RMS power is much higher than 90Wrms.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:58 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hey thanks for all the insight and the sound-clip Bandit.
I thought the guitar tone on your tune was smooth enough for me to give it a shot and throw the Alnico Cream in my Mark V as well. I'm curious about the amplifiers versatility as that is what almost everyone eludes to!
New stock Mesa tubes, new speaker, And a few different guitars to run through it:

Gibson Les Paul Studio T
Fender Am. Std. Strat
Fender Am. Tele.
Schecter Damien Elite (EM81/85)

I'm curious as to which will sound best through it, or if all will sound good (or can be made to sound good with some tweaking)

Should be interesting.
I hope to put it through it's paces tomorrow and I also have a Mesa Openback Ext. Cab arriving this week so I can play the mix and match game. But I'm honestly hoping the Cream and the C90 play nice together and I can just leave it as-is.
Then again, who knows, maybe I'll fall hard enough for the Cream to buy another one :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:35 am 
Triple Recto

I did like the Crème before I modified the Mark V. I would suggest against the 12AT7 in V4 trick as that thickens the tone and corrects the high frequency gain issue (not all models are affected with this problem). I also removed a brightness cap on the CH3 tone stack that helped me mod with this amp especially with an EV black label speaker (this speaker can be extremely bright). The Mark V is still very bright but not brittle as it was before the mods. If your amp is stock I hope the Celestion Crème 90W Alnico works for you. It does have some character of the EV speaker on the bottom end but not on the top end. It does have more of a vintage blanket on the tone and since my Mark V was running in the ice pick range when I installed it, the 90W Alnico crème was a rewarding experience. Since the mods, the Crème 90W tends to be more dark in tone. That particular speaker works best in a bright amp. Now I feel it is not a good match with the corrections to the preamp.

Note: you will need about 1 month or longer to break in the speaker, it may fart every now and then and make odd noises but that is the nature of the beast. Also limit your playing time at first and work on using it more gradually. If you could run a break in process on the speaker it probably would help you out in the short run. If the bell gets warm let it cool down as the suspension of the speaker will be a little stiff at first. The Crème sounded the best out of box of the three Alnico speakers I have tried out. The Jenson blackbird took nearly 3 to 4 months of break in time before the higher gain channel sounded half decent. Keep the break in process in mind as the tone will shift a few times during the break in process. Top end will grow more gradually.