The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:08 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hello Gentlemen -
I have been reading a few topics in this forum for a while as a guest, and after reading this thread last night, I decided to register. I find a lot of helpful ideas in this forum and you seem like an intelligent group of individuals. :lol:
After a few years of gigging/recording with the Mark V 90W head, I find myself in a similar situation to Dodgion556. I am wishing to scale down my rig and have the portability of the Mark 5:35 combo. I play a variety of styles, but I am currently in a heavier edge cover band. I have tried the Mark 5:35 combo in a store at low level, and keeping in mind that the C90 will break in and settle in a week or two, my concern is whether this combo can handle a drop-D tight bottom end. I have never owned an amp with EL84s before, for the past 20 years I have had a Single and Dual Rectifier, a Rectifier Preamp with a 50:50, a Roadster combo, and finally the MK V, always running V30s.
I realize this amp will not compare to what I've had in the past, in terms of bottom-end, but I am simply looking for articulation, warmth, tone flexibility and ultimately portability.
I have heard wonderful sound clips featuring this amp, but most of them were studio recordings that can be polished. I would likely use the 3rd mode in ch1 for rhythm, back my guitar volume for clean-ish passages and the mk IV mode for lead work most of the time.

What is your experience with it?
Is it too mid-focused at gig volume?
Does the included Cab clone compare to a standalone Cab Clone?
Can it get tight when pushed?
For any of you who own both the Mark V and the Mark V:35 - would you give up the former if you were willing to scale down your rig?

It is evident that I am a bit nervous about this move and I cannot keep both, but lugging the head & cab back & forth has gotten a bit old.
I am aiming for simplicity and minimalism, but will I sacrifice too much flexibility and overall tone?
I kindly appreciate your thoughts, opinions and any tips you can possibly share.

2009 Mesa Boogie Mark V
Mesa 2x12 Compact Recto Cab
----------------

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:33 pm 
Mark IV

GlowingTubes wrote:
Hello Gentlemen -
I have been reading a few topics in this forum for a while as a guest, and after reading this thread last night, I decided to register. I find a lot of helpful ideas in this forum and you seem like an intelligent group of individuals. :lol:
After a few years of gigging/recording with the Mark V 90W head, I find myself in a similar situation to Dodgion556. I am wishing to scale down my rig and have the portability of the Mark 5:35 combo. I play a variety of styles, but I am currently in a heavier edge cover band. I have tried the Mark 5:35 combo in a store at low level, and keeping in mind that the C90 will break in and settle in a week or two, my concern is whether this combo can handle a drop-D tight bottom end. I have never owned an amp with EL84s before, for the past 20 years I have had a Single and Dual Rectifier, a Rectifier Preamp with a 50:50, a Roadster combo, and finally the MK V, always running V30s.
I realize this amp will not compare to what I've had in the past, in terms of bottom-end, but I am simply looking for articulation, warmth, tone flexibility and ultimately portability.
I have heard wonderful sound clips featuring this amp, but most of them were studio recordings that can be polished. I would likely use the 3rd mode in ch1 for rhythm, back my guitar volume for clean-ish passages and the mk IV mode for lead work most of the time.

What is your experience with it?
Is it too mid-focused at gig volume?
Does the included Cab clone compare to a standalone Cab Clone?
Can it get tight when pushed?
For any of you who own both the Mark V and the Mark V:35 - would you give up the former if you were willing to scale down your rig?

It is evident that I am a bit nervous about this move and I cannot keep both, but lugging the head & cab back & forth has gotten a bit old.
I am aiming for simplicity and minimalism, but will I sacrifice too much flexibility and overall tone?
I kindly appreciate your thoughts, opinions and any tips you can possibly share.

any reason why you can't test a V 35 yourself in Florida ?
I doubt anyone else can satisfy you regarding whether its bottom end & drop D tones are adequate for your needs :mrgreen:

Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:23 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thank you for your reply!
The only dealer within decent range of my location only opens during the same hours I work, so in order to go there I need to take a day off… which I have. I did not try the amp cranked to it's gigging volume because I was respecting their place of work and did not want to be "that guy". My question was intended for those of you who actually gig with this amp in small to medium sized venues, but you do bring up a valid point… my perception of "tight" or "articulate" may not be general enough to answer.

Thank you kindly for your feedback (no pun), it is appreciated.

2009 Mesa Boogie Mark V
Mesa 2x12 Compact Recto Cab
----------------

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:15 am 
Mark III

just stumbled onto your post. the 25 and 35 will have a somewhat "smaller" feel and headroom than the v..This isn't a bad thing for some,you may like that.The 35 isn't nearly as "lunch box" size as the 25 but still small and weighs more than a 25,less than a v.The sweet spot on a 35 ( master approx 930-11) is a lot louder than the 25s sweet spot-9 oclock.Both sound killer for what they are.More cab clone options on the 35 plus solo boosts,which are also cuts too! Im spoiled,as my mk iv and mk iii deliver the goods like no other,so I just accept the 25/35 for what they are.They both are articulate,etc etc...don't know about the mids in a band setting yet. Theres no way id ever give up my big boogies to downsize for the lightweights,but the el 84s bring something a little different and neat to the party. Fat and crunch on ch 1 are both so nice in the 25/35..Ive found that using a timmy,bogner blue and friedman overdrive on fat is killer.There is a mid shift between the 2 chls that's hard to level out but mesa designed it that way says the manual.
What ive learned w/ the 25/35?...theyre simply "lightweights" compared to the "heavyweight" mks and its best to keep that in mind. For a new boogie fan whose never played a mk iic+ or mk iv in all their glory,and demos the 25 or 35? they'll totally dig it..and I dig them too though.lol I would like to see if they start showing up on actual hit songs and tours sometime.That may tell us more too.

MkIVB&Sat,IIIColi,IIC+,Diezel Herb,BE100,Bog20th Shiv&XTC,SLO,ElmwoodM90,66"Prince rvb,3Mesa4x12s,4Diezel4x12s,2x12s,Bog fish,SoldX88R,CAEse3+,Badcat Pre,Quad pre,Jmp1,TC2290,Gsyst,Tri ch,VHT2150,Classic,Marsh100/100,Mesa500,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 pm 
Bottle Rocket

When changing power tubes, do you use Mesa EL84 or do you try some different brand? If so, do you need any change in the bias?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:48 pm 
Mark II

Mark V;35 user

I got me a SSH Fender American Professional Strat. Been playing for few month. Still trying to fiddle good setting. I always thought OD channel added a little fizz when gain are turned up.. I was setting my vol/gain at about 9-10 o'clock all this time. Not sure if that was a single coil thing. With my new Strat I am pushing around 12-1 oclock now. There still is some fizz... but I have learned to pull the tone back on the treble/bridge pick up. I am on IEM so may be he fizz is more prominent than what you would hear through naked ear. I am not running it through CabClone. I am using my Senhizer 609 off axis smack front of the speaker hanging. SM57 seam to have a bit of ice pick frequency.

I got me an Archer pedal which is like a Klon Clone. On my clean channel. I could kick this in to get a little boost. Only draw back is I have to do double step to turn Archer off and change channel when I want to switch to OD channel

Now with this Strat with Treble bleed. I can clean up while I am at OD channel by pulling volume back.. It still has some crunch but it works on most situations when I need clean chord tone...even soft lead.

Although i am still tugging with 3 tone set up. Clean, Crunch, Lead. The new Triple Crown really looks good for that... or may be Full Mark V

Martin D-28
Mk V:35
Fender DRRI
Flex 3
TM 15
OCD
EP SP SL
TS-9
Boss CE AS TR DD
Vox Wah
Dunlop V
EB V
GMajor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:11 am 
Bottle Rocket

Keep the Mark V:35. If you need less gain and less high try the tube swap in V2 (12AT7 in place of the 12AX7). I did it but in the end I wanted that gain back, but if you are not in high gain tone so swap the tube.

For a third channel I suggest you to add just a pedal like a Tubescreamer or a Bluesbreaker and you won't miss a third channel on the amp.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Gl4th wrote:
Keep the Mark V:35. If you need less gain and less high try the tube swap in V2 (12AT7 in place of the 12AX7). I did it but in the end I wanted that gain back, but if you are not in high gain tone so swap the tube.
For a third channel I suggest you to add just a pedal like a Tubescreamer or a Bluesbreaker and you won't miss a third channel on the amp.

Agree 100% with this way to get a third channel from a MV:35 - I usually have a light OD pedal on my board for giving ch1 clean an edge of breakup tone (VFE Blues King, Rockett Blue Note, Kealey Boss BD2), then depending on our set lists' I'll add a second pedal for more specific OD flavor - sometimes it's the Catalinbread SFT for Stones Ampeg type OD, or an Analogman AstroTone fuzz, and so on. Between those extra pedals and ch2 - there is an awful lot of tone ground to be covered by the MV:35.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:33 pm 
Mark II

I got a J Rocket Archer - which is like a Klon clon.... at first it seemed like there was too much mid... how ever it seemed to be a better match for a Marshall type amp. I have a Marshall Haze 40. Some might argue it is not a true Marshall but it is closest thing I got.

For this week I needed a crunch country like tone. I was on clean fat channel but boosted the mid to get slight gain - pst 12 oclock almost up to 3 oclock.

I kicked in the Archer - and wow. It sounded like a cranked up Z or an AC 30 plenty of over drive. I can pull back the volume to get a crunch... I had a EP and OCD..When I had my Archer into OCD... the tone screamed.. wow...

Do I still need the dirty channel??

Martin D-28
Fender DRRI
Flex 3
TM 15
OCD
EP SP SL
TS-9
Boss CE AS TR DD
Vox Wah
Dunlop V
EB V
GMajor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 pm 
Mark II

doublescale1 wrote:
Gl4th wrote:

Agree 100% with this way to get a third channel from a MV:35 - I usually have a light OD pedal on my board for giving ch1 clean an edge of breakup tone (VFE Blues King, Rockett Blue Note, Kealey Boss BD2), then depending on our set lists' I'll add a second pedal for more specific OD flavor - sometimes it's the Catalinbread SFT for Stones Ampeg type OD, or an Analogman AstroTone fuzz, and so on. Between those extra pedals and ch2 - there is an awful lot of tone ground to be covered by the MV:35.

I am curious -if 5:35 shares 12AX7 for both clean and dirty. If they share I will lose gain on both channels? I become fond on Fat mode with mid control pretty high.

I believe you are "stacking" 2 drive pedals on clean channel, which I am doing it with Archer and OCD. I wanted to experiment the order of stacking if Archer --> OCD is better than OCD ---> Archer. Or may be all i need is to push Archer with EP Booster. I guess my delima is that I want that full creamy overdrive on my solo. But I still have to turn off Archer and change channel. I tried channel 2 with archer and it was too muddy..

Martin D-28
Fender DRRI
Flex 3
TM 15
OCD
EP SP SL
TS-9
Boss CE AS TR DD
Vox Wah
Dunlop V
EB V
GMajor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:39 pm 
Dual Recto

First time reading this post, excellent review and comments regarding the amp and would find it helpful if and when I decide to scale things down.

As for the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 will be a warmer tube than the Mesa 12AT7 if used as suggested. It will effect both channels such that you may desire the gain characteristics of the standard or stock 12AX7 tube.

As for the EL84, I would recommend the Mesa version since some of the other brands may require bias changes as this particular tube can be quite different across the brands. It is somewhat similar to the larger tube EL34 as they are both power pentode tubes, but the tone and gain characteristic of the EL84 is quite different than the larger bottle cousin. I do have an EL84 based amp I use for practice that I keep at my friends house but that amp also has an adjustable bias (Carvin V3MC). Bottom end is no question and there is plenty of signal at top and bottom to satisfy anyone using a 6, 7 or 8 string guitar or alternate tunings. The signal is going though a 12AX7 tube so why should the size of the power tube matter in terms of frequency response? They are a bit different than EL34, 6L6 or 6V6 but in all respects they are just as good but lower in power rating.

I have considered many times to get one of the smaller Mesa amps, and I did just that.... but it has a quad of 6L6 tubes vs a quad of EL84s and weights about 14lbs more than the Mark V:35. JP-2C, probably louder than I need but why not? One of these days I will have to try out the EL34 Based Mesa amps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:30 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I have the v:25 and mini rectifier 1x12 cab, I copied the petrucci settings he used in the demo for clean, crunch and gain, and the results are spectacular, no complaints, i was torn between the V;25 vs V:35, in the end I went V:25 as I am always miked, I think sometimes we never are never satisfied as when someones mentions a problem or "i wish it had", our mind thinks oh no maybe I should have got this or that...at least I'm done buying amps, this little thing does everything I need..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:30 am 
Mark II

So frustrated what ever set up that I have... Mesa V 35, Egnator, Marshall Haze. I became unfaithful and got me a Headrush... a Line 6 Helix compete.. I thought it was answer to all my woes...Cuz.. it did sounded good. Actually really good through the headphone. But somehow it didn't cut through the band.

I decided to give my V 35 another shot. may be with a different approach. clean channel and pedals. I could never find good balance between clean and dirty channel. Or too much fizz... Thank you for all the people here suggesting alternate choice for preamp tube.

So my set up is Channel 1 - clean on Fat.. Keeley Compresor, OCD, Tube Screamer, EP booster, - Fulltone Spa-Trem - DOD Delay - HOF.

WOW!!! I had all these pedals forever.. I got the good crunch with OCD... I am falling in love with OCD all over again. (I have Xotic LP, Archer, Boss DS 1, etc...) but why am I coming back to OCD. Stack it with Tube Screamer to get smooth sustaining drive. Kick in EP booster for solos.

Yep V:35 takes pedal real real well..

Martin D-28
Fender DRRI
Flex 3
TM 15
OCD
EP SP SL
TS-9
Boss CE AS TR DD
Vox Wah
Dunlop V
EB V
GMajor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:06 am 
Mark III

Hi guys,

I sold my 35 combo last year buy a Clapton Journeyman strat. I was really sad to see it go but I still had a RKII which covers all I need. Since deciding to scale down my rig and go back to a conventional pedalboard from my Axe FX II (Nothing to do with the III that was announced yesterday I can assure you). I've now decided to buy a 35 again.

It's portable, has a great clean and dirty channel, the solo controls are a must for me and also has the cab clone, I couldn't ask for more. The only I'd miss on a gig is my RKII's chan 2 but I can always use an OD pedal for that. And also the ability to select what tubes I can use on each channel but that doesn't bother me too much. I've been a Boogie player since 1994 when I got my first amp which was a 2x12 Tremoverb combo brown grill version.

Anyway just thought I'd share my experience.

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:45 am 
Bottle Rocket

I have the big V and a V25. I really like them both. They similar but different. I have been using the V25 for silent recording of late and really like it in that context.

Miss you Dad https://youtu.be/YLp4KPkRd8k

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next