The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:29 pm 
Mark II

dlpasco wrote:
Markageddon wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8LQvpWFhM Here it is. Its all channel 2.

That's freaking hot. Awesome tone and really coming through well considering how it was recording. Great job.

Thanks...!! And thats straight in the front with the Flying V with passives. No boost at all.
On the next vid I'll connect it to a Recto horizontal 2x12 and let it clear it's throat. And maybe even get a TS9 involved.
The master vol is barely on. Boog-geddon will surely occur when that dial gets as high as '1'. haha

Last edited by Markageddon on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:04 pm 
Mark II

Markageddon wrote:
dlpasco wrote:
Markageddon wrote:

That's freaking hot. Awesome tone and really coming through well considering how it was recording. Great job.

Thanks...!! And thats straight in the front with the Flying V with passives. No boost at all.
On the next vid I'll connect it to a Recto horizontal 2x12 and let it clear it's throat. And maybe even get a TS9 involved.
The master vol is barely on. Boog-geddon will surely occur then that dial gets as high as '1'. haha

That sounds brutal .. so raw.. Thank you for doing the vid. What a great amp the Mark V is .. love it through n through

ProCo Rat 2, DD 3
Guitars : EBMM JP6 Fully Loaded, Fender Am Stratocaster, Ibanez RG370DXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:01 am 
Mark II

You're welcome Bankim..!! Glad you're liking it. A little glimpse of your future sound there maybe...! A very, very crunchy one. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:23 pm 
Mark III

Markageddon wrote:

Iommi would have sh!t himself if he had that tone for the early Sabbath albums! Might have scared Ozzy into staying on the straight and narrow. Imagine how different the world would be today haha.

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:45 pm 
Mark II

LOL Indeed. :lol:

He gave it a good go on the 80s era tours, had a Mark III or IV, if memory serves...!!
Why couldnt he go back an recut those tracks then...? One of the great tonal rock 'what ifs'....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:48 pm 
Mark II

New vid. Completely on axis. From 5-6ft cam distance.

1x12 at cam level, and 2x12 horizontal Recto cab under it. Doing the 4 0hm outs into 2x8 0hm method.
Sad but True has a Jackson V with EMGs, Standard Gibson V for the rest of it with stock passives.

Same settings as prev vid too. (After the Metallica riffs)
The beginning Metallica riffs were the typical V shape. On the graphic but with the dialled settings from the prev vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5F6_b2cLoE

Used a TS9 on the Machine Head riff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:33 pm 
Mark III

Quality, amp sounds evil in a very good way. Paranoid made me smile too. Did notice some squeeling during the manson riff though? You notice that?

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Sigma DNC-1STE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:43 pm 
Mark II

Hahaa cheers. That went out to you with your Iommi reference. Children of the grave too.
The ring you hear is unmuted string ring past the head stock on the flying v....will have to get a sock round it for future high gain excursions for real. :)
Yes its scary also that its still not even up to 'one' on the master. Its vicious and smooth and sounds like the end of the world.

Last edited by Markageddon on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm 
Mark III

Good egg, thanks for that. Love me a bit of Sabbath. Glad the ring was not a microphone tube too.

Gotta try get me some playing time soon so i can get some more clips up.

Nice to know the mod works on the Mark V's younger brothers too. Happy days.

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Sigma DNC-1STE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:00 pm 
Mark II

Wayno wrote:
Good egg, thanks for that. Love me a bit of Sabbath. Glad the ring was not a microphone tube too.

Gotta try get me some playing time soon so i can get some more clips up.

Nice to know the mod works on the Mark V's younger brothers too. Happy days.

Most welcome. Ahhh I see....yeah would have been a logical suspicion there. Definitely no probs with any tube ring to report.

Looking forward to em .. being following your progress in this thread since day one. Can't wait to see what you guys muster up with all the increased shaping options. :) \m/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 am 
Mark II

Oh my god.

Crunch mode.

That is all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm 
Mark I

Well, I just stuck a Jan gray plate from Dougs in V4 of my MKV. Sounds great at home. The real test will be this weekend, at volume for two shows. My question: What is the longevity of this tube being in V4 where an AX7 should be? I definitely would hate for it to go during the set. I`ve read that it should be good in this thread. Just wondering how long people have been running them and pushing the crap out of em.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 pm 
Mark II

Nice one. Its a whole new world for you now.

I've been caining one in my big amp for 2 weeks, on and off. Sounds consistent and strong still.
Also I've been on the V:25 with one in the equivalent stage for a week too and its brutal with no signs of slacking.
(And you can see in the vids that the V:25 was run with near max pres mid and 12-1oclock bass dialled in...!! )
Since its a pre-tube thing, I cant see the output power you play at factoring much. I'd feel confident of gigging this weekend with your amp, if I were in your place. And i'm sure some of these fellas have been testing theirs for months.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:31 am 
Mark III

robertray wrote:
Well, I just stuck a Jan gray plate from Dougs in V4 of my MKV. Sounds great at home. The real test will be this weekend, at volume for two shows. My question: What is the longevity of this tube being in V4 where an AX7 should be? I definitely would hate for it to go during the set. I`ve read that it should be good in this thread. Just wondering how long people have been running them and pushing the crap out of em.

I haven't run the numbers yet to figure out exactly what this changes electrically, but the quick answer is that they're both rated for 300V plate voltage, and the 12AU7 is actually rated for a higher current. So in most cases this is a pretty safe substitution.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:10 am 
Mark I

Markageddon wrote:
Nice one. Its a whole new world for you now.

I've been caining one in my big amp for 2 weeks, on and off. Sounds consistent and strong still.
Also I've been on the V:25 with one in the equivalent stage for a week too and its brutal with no signs of slacking.
(And you can see in the vids that the V:25 was run with near max pres mid and 12-1oclock bass dialled in...!! )
Since its a pre-tube thing, I cant see the output power you play at factoring much. I'd feel confident of gigging this weekend with your amp, if I were in your place. And i'm sure some of these fellas have been testing theirs for months.

Thanks for the reply. I`ve been running Dougs tube cocktail for 5 years or so now. Also, vintage mesa branded sylvania 6ca7s, so it has always sounded REALLY good to me. Still on the fence with the 12at7. I try to a/b at volume at home, but that doesnt last long before ears are shot. I will, though, keep it in for this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 34  Next