Mesa MarkV / Saturation 'mod'

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for re-hijacking the thread back to the JanPhillips 12at7 mod but l just wanted to give an update on my results so far with the v4 mod...

In the past, Crunch was always my 'go to' during live performances. After this mod, I'm now finding that ch2 Crunch is just a bit 'lacking' and ch3 Extreme just sings! Full and balanced with beautiful 'bloom' and touch sensitivity.

I can't thank y'all enough for this piece of creative wisdom. Loving this amp more and more...FINALLY.

APEMAN said:
Hi, let me rehijack my threat to show you something interesting I found yesterday evening!

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73457&p=498071#p498071

Unbelievable!

(Brothers, we have to find the MarkV25/35 schematics as well as the JP2Cs to understand that.)

We have to keep those revisions in mind when we do tube suggestions... or those useful informations will end up in chaos and frustration.

That is quite a revelation. I did not know that they revised the amp's schematics to tame the harshness. Maybe this could be the reason why I never felt that Channel 3 on my Mark V was harsh in any way. IIC+ mode was thin though but Mark IV is so full and bold and brash, just everything I wanted it to be. I got my amp in 2014 (I think), so it might have that update. Do you know how I can verify this ?

V4 Mod Update: I finally managed to put in a JAN Philips AT7 in V4 and IIC+ mode has become a beast. It just has so much more body to it now. I had just under an hour due to my schedule and I spent 90% of that on IIC+ mode and spent the rest of the time skimming M IV & Ext mode. I have to say the feel is definitely looser than before on the IIC+ mode. Someone on the JP2C mentioned that their amp sounds like a mix between IIC+ mode & Ext. on the Mark V; well, thats how the IIC+ mode sounds like after the V4 mod. It is a joy to play lead lines but I need to spend some time to come up with a rhythm sound of my liking. Regardless, love the mod. Great job APEMAN & Bandit.

Note : ch 3 has a hum now when the guitar volume nob is completely turned down, which was non-existent before. Gonna change V4 back to stock tomorrow to confirm..

I restore the thread to those who want it to be just the saturation mod. Besides that, APMAN made a hijack threat..... :shock:

Only way to find out if your amp has the Mesa tone stack fix, you will have to find the extra series resistance on the tone stack...Happy hunting as that circuit board is a jungle and the components in question may not even be on the preamp board.... :p

Mine was signed off on July 16, 2012 (a Monday no less....) I am sure it has the updated tone stack but that did not fix the sterile and vasectomized CH3.
I would agree the Bluestoned that the Crunch mode had the Mojo and CH3 had nogo.

I had played a new Mark V combo when I went to test drive a TC-50 at Russo Music in Hamilton NJ (not plugging the store, it was the closest dealer to me that had more than just one Mesa amp and I live in NC, was on vacation when I went there). That amp sounded great and did not have the tunnel tone of CH3 that my amp has. However the V4 mod is the mojo fix, definitely more hair in the tone department but not the thin 80's tone.

I often wonder If I sold my amp that I have and get another will the same V4 mod do any justice? One does have to question what changes were made since the original release (as is the case with the APMAN re-hijacking the hijacked post, it is all good I hope).

One thing is for sure, I will not be trying the 12AT7 in the JP-2C as I love the amp as is. the Mark V with the V4 change puts it on the same level with more options.

As for the Mark V:35 or 25, I do not believe the IIc+/IV/Extreme has the same tonal character as the Mark V in stock preamp tube format. I just watched one of the videos that showed the settings and thought the Mark V:35 has some great sound to it.

Back to the Big V.... Here is a test for you non believers.... Turn the amp on full power, use pentode mode on CH3, set to Extreme, Set the top row to noon, treble and mids to noon and drop the bass. Bright switch to on, EQ set to preset and play a D chord or any bright chord. If you do not get the broken glass effect from the speakers ( it could be your speakers.....what you may need is an OS Recto 412 with V30, heck even loaded with EV has the same effect). Not a pleasing experience. However with the V4 change to 12AT7 I can play with that all day and even add more treble and presence (sure they are relative to the sum of the cascaded gain stages). Also if you find yourself using only CH1 and CH2 and not much of CH3, you will change your mind once you try it. It is not about the level of gain that matters, the articulated detail of every note and of course the tonal temper of the grind on a chord ring out is just amazing. Sustain, yep it is quite vocal and reactive. If you need more edge try a JAN/GE 5751 but if you have tried the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 it will be hard to make a change. The side effect is not that dramatic and you may even find the tone similar with the stock tube however at higher volume levels the tone will shift and the amp will become brighter and brighter and loss of lower half of the midrange due to cancelling ending up with sterile unusable tone. V4 maintains the stability of the gain stages and you do not loose content across the frequency band of the guitar. No brittleness at all but the tone is still intact and plenty of cut though the mix. Sure the 5751 will give you a bit more top end cut. Take your pick, hit some strings and enjoy the full potential of the Mark V. .....bla...bla....bla....bla..... I better shut up now.

bandit2013 said:
I restore the thread to those who want it to be just the saturation mod. Besides that, APMAN made a hijack threat..... :shock:

Only way to find out if your amp has the Mesa tone stack fix, you will have to find the extra series resistance on the tone stack...Happy hunting as that circuit board is a jungle and the components in question may not even be on the preamp board.... :p

Mine was signed off on July 16, 2012 (a Monday no less....) I am sure it has the updated tone stack but that did not fix the sterile and vasectomized CH3.
I would agree the Bluestoned that the Crunch mode had the Mojo and CH3 had nogo.

I had played a new Mark V combo when I went to test drive a TC-50 at Russo Music in Hamilton NJ (not plugging the store, it was the closest dealer to me that had more than just one Mesa amp and I live in NC, was on vacation when I went there). That amp sounded great and did not have the tunnel tone of CH3 that my amp has. However the V4 mod is the mojo fix, definitely more hair in the tone department but not the thin 80's tone.

I often wonder If I sold my amp that I have and get another will the same V4 mod do any justice? One does have to question what changes were made since the original release (as is the case with the APMAN re-hijacking the hijacked post, it is all good I hope).

One thing is for sure, I will not be trying the 12AT7 in the JP-2C as I love the amp as is. the Mark V with the V4 change puts it on the same level with more options.

As for the Mark V:35 or 25, I do not believe the IIc+/IV/Extreme has the same tonal character as the Mark V in stock preamp tube format. I just watched one of the videos that showed the settings and thought the Mark V:35 has some great sound to it.

Back to the Big V.... Here is a test for you non believers.... Turn the amp on full power, use pentode mode on CH3, set to Extreme, Set the top row to noon, treble and mids to noon and drop the bass. Bright switch to on, EQ set to preset and play a D chord or any bright chord. If you do not get the broken glass effect from the speakers ( it could be your speakers.....what you may need is an OS Recto 412 with V30, heck even loaded with EV has the same effect). Not a pleasing experience. However with the V4 change to 12AT7 I can play with that all day and even add more treble and presence (sure they are relative to the sum of the cascaded gain stages). Also if you find yourself using only CH1 and CH2 and not much of CH3, you will change your mind once you try it. It is not about the level of gain that matters, the articulated detail of every note and of course the tonal temper of the grind on a chord ring out is just amazing. Sustain, yep it is quite vocal and reactive. If you need more edge try a JAN/GE 5751 but if you have tried the JAN/Phillips 12AT7 it will be hard to make a change. The side effect is not that dramatic and you may even find the tone similar with the stock tube however at higher volume levels the tone will shift and the amp will become brighter and brighter and loss of lower half of the midrange due to cancelling ending up with sterile unusable tone. V4 maintains the stability of the gain stages and you do not loose content across the frequency band of the guitar. No brittleness at all but the tone is still intact and plenty of cut though the mix. Sure the 5751 will give you a bit more top end cut. Take your pick, hit some strings and enjoy the full potential of the Mark V. .....bla...bla....bla....bla..... I better shut up now.

It really is that great, though. Hard to shut up about.

Got another chance to slope off into the garage this afternoon so had a crack at recording.

Backing track from a site dlpasco recommended, will try remember it if anyone's interested.

Excuse the playing and quality. Only had a limited amount of time and a very basic setup available. No re-takes or faffing about with mic placement etc. Plenty grunt available in iiC+ mode with an at7 in V4!!! Read the description for more info.

Hope you enjoy, comments/criticism welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/waynogeoff/enter-sandman

I did some recording today, too: I put this track together to try and capture the sound I was hearing in the room.

https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/neo

Wayno said:
Got another chance to slope off into the garage this afternoon so had a crack at recording.

Backing track from a site dlpasco recommended, will try remember it if anyone's interested.

Excuse the playing and quality. Only had a limited amount of time and a very basic setup available. No re-takes or faffing about with mic placement etc. Plenty grunt available in iiC+ mode with an at7 in V4!!! Read the description for more info.

Hope you enjoy, comments/criticism welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/waynogeoff/enter-sandman

Giving this a listen now - this is really well done. Ohhh, nice lead tone. And playing.

What kind of pick you using? It sounds like you could really dig in harder on your pick attack while you're playing, maybe. But this is really, really great. If it came on the radio I wouldn't know it wasn't the original if I wasn't paying attention!.

Thanks for sharing this!

PS the backing track site is https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com

bandit2013 said:
Wayno,

Now I will have to dig up the album and listen to it, I think your version was much better than the real deal.

dlpasco said:
Giving this a listen now - this is really well done. Ohhh, nice lead tone. And playing.

What kind of pick you using? It sounds like you could really dig in harder on your pick attack while you're playing, maybe. But this is really, really great. If it came on the radio I wouldn't know it wasn't the original if I wasn't paying attention!.

Thanks for sharing this!

PS the backing track site is https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com

Thanks for the kind words guys, really appreciate that. Also thanks for the backing track site dlpasco, great fun playing along to them.

I know it's far from perfect but it does give a good idea of the better low mids that the at7 offers. Especially when you consider that there's no post EQ, reverb or compression used here. Just two dry tracks with a bit of simple panning. None of Bob Rocks studio wizardry.

Yeah your right about my technique, could use a lot of work I know. I use Dunlop, erm tortex I think. Couldn't tell you the gauge though, the yellow ones. Also strings are at least 6 months old.

Really diggin' your track too, you gotta nasty angry vibe going on with it, love it :)

I will get back to recording soon enough. Been busy with other things at the moment. I do have something I have been practicing and working out the progression so it may be the next project and may also blend it with the other project I did record that is not exactly complete, was just for a preamp cocktail sound test in the Roadster.

Now I got all the toys to use and will definitely get more than just two amps in the mix. If and when I get something done I will not disclose what amp I am using for what part. Your options would be RA100 head, TC-50, Roadster, Mark V, JP-2C. Sill will have to develop the drum patterns, dang it has been a while since I sat behind the drums. Between the TC-50 and the Mark V mod, and a new to me guitar, I have not had much time for the other fun things to focus on.

Cant wait !!

Was curious as to what guitars are in your arsenal these days ?

Back to the AT7 mod.

IN V4: Played extensively on Ch 3 - IIC+ and IV and really love the lead tone

In V6: V4 stock. Man, what a great rhythm tone. I couldn't stop playing riffs all of a sudden.. I am more of a solo wanker..lol.. Had some nice Lamb Of God tones right off the bat.. WOW !!

Now, I cant decide on which mod - 12AT7 in V4 or V6. Argghh.. Fun times though..

Bankim said:
Back to the AT7 mod.

In V6: V4 stock. Man, what a great rhythm tone. I couldn't stop playing riffs all of a sudden.. I am more of a solo wanker..lol.. Had some nice Lamb Of God tones right off the bat.. WOW !!

Now, I cant decide on which mod - 12AT7 in V4 or V6. Argghh.. Fun times though..

I just did both :twisted:

IronSean said:
Bankim said:
Back to the AT7 mod.

I just did both :twisted:

YEEEEEESSSSSS*

(*I also did both)

APEMAN said:
Yes the 12AT7 in V6 alone sounds amazing, its the biggest sound that I found in the amp so far. And my god is it cutting at band volume! It is the pure MarkV without ice. But it is very important to compensate the lower gain of the 12AT7 by increasing the EFX SEND LEVEL. On my amp that is exactly the + sign on the "- <-|-> +" scale at the back of the amp while the chanel master is set to 9:45. (This will add something great to the CH2 chrunch as well as long as you set the presence the same as CH3's.)(I wrote about this in the MarkVs secret tone control threat before...)
In MarkIV mode you have to set the amps presence to about 1:30 (very high). When you dial it in that way the amp sounds almost unreal and CH3 becomes as crushing as a DR in modern red but combined with a thick crunchy and mucial midrange.
I still can't believe how big and good it sounds for rythm as well as for leads. With high gain settings the amp has so much saturation I can play big rythm lines with my guitars volume at about 30% (!!!) and the last 70% (!!!) are lead backup (super clear and articulate pure saturation).
ABSOLUTELY INSANE!
Reminds me somehow on my triaxis lead 2 red (aka markIII) because of those thick mids (even with EQ in V shape).

Agreed!! I found a setting on the Mark IV mode which sounds great for leads and rhythm. I ll stick to this for now. And Yes, I had to run the presence quite high like you said. It roars with an authority which I have never heard in this amp before. With a little bit of delay and reverb, it turns into this liquid, thick lead tone. Very tasty !! I have also noticed that with the 12AT7 in V6, the amp begs to be turned up loud. I have my channel master around 10 O'Clock and overall master at 9:30; 90 watts, and it sounds huge. I just hope that it doesn't harm the amp in any way. I will try both V4 & V6 with 12AT7s eventually.

Downloaded some Images & Words backing tracks and I feel like shutting myself out from the world and jam like theres no tomorrow.. hahaha...

Regards,
Bankim

Octavarium was a killer album 8)

Anyway, I usually don't run effects with my rig except with the band and on stage (and that has come to a standstill since we are on a hiatus). The on board reverb on the amp satisfy most of my needs when playing alone, plus it helps clean up my playing. Will try playing around with the EFX levels and report back..

Whoa there.... I would use the 12AT7 in V4 and the 5751 in V6. I have yet to use anything other than the stock 12AX7 in the V6 position. I will have to give that a try just for fun. I have plenty of preamp tubes in my arsenal, different flavors and not many in the NOS category (non in the 12AX7 as those are too expensive).

As for my electric guitar collection they are all Carvin guitars (10) and one branded with Kiesel which is still a Carvin.

The Carvin line up:
2 DC400 Claro Walnut with walnut/maple neck through TOM bridge
1 DC200 Koa with Maple neck thorugh, Kahler bridge
1 DC100 all maple, set neck with Kahler bridge
1 DC400 Alder body Maple cap maple neck though, TOM bridge
1 CT6 mahogany neck and body, set neck tom bridge (similar to PRS)
1 CS6 mahogany neck and body, set neck tom bridge (les paul)
1 Bolt C black limba body, maple neck bolt on, Floyd Rose trem (Super Strat) SD hot rails pups
1 Bolt C alder body, maple neck bolt on, Floyd Rose trem, (super strat) SD everything Axe pups
1 CT624C, mahogany neck and body, set neck, Floyd Rose
The Kiesel guitar (still a Carvin in my books)
1 DC600 mahogany body, maple neck, neck though, Graph tech ghost Floyd Rose

I guess I am a Carvin nut. I have tried many other brands but they just did not feel right for me.
Most of them are used instruments except for the CT624C, Bolt C (black limba) and one of the Claro Walnut DC400. My first one was the DC200 and after that guitar nothing else compared.... so now I have more Carvins. As for the Basses, two ibenez (6 and 4) and one LTD (5). Drums are Gretsch Catalina Maple with extra 13" tom, Paiste cymbals. Any new recordings will be with the acoustic drum set an no longer with the Rolland TD-15KV.

It does not matter how many guitars you have or how many amps you own. Many of you have surpassed my skills with far less. My problem is I am filling a void in my life so music seemed to do that and well GAS has also invaded my mindset.. Too bad I cannot play as well as the rest of you. At least I am having fun trying. :p

Back