Mark V FX loop treble loss

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarsawicki

Reaction score
I tried Mark V with my Boss effects connected to the FX loop. With Mark III there is no treble loss, but with Mark V I can hear a significant treble loss.

Channel 1 fat mode channel 2 crunch mode:

Slight treble loss which can be solved by presence increase

Channel 3 Mark IIC+ mode

Huge treble loss which needed bright switch and presence increase from 8 o'clock to 1 o'clock until it sounded acceptable.

Here you can see the settings:

http://www.mikseri.net/user/polonium?image_id=4868319

http://www.mikseri.net/user/polonium?image_id=4868318

No buy if the problem can not be solved. Mark V sounds so good. Definitely better than Mark III.

What Boss effect were you using? The one Boss pedal I use in the Mark V loop that works well is the TE-2 (input 20dBu, output 20dBu which is more than needed to be compliant with professional line level), Terra Echo on all channels no issues. I did look at some of the older models that Boss has on their website, no mention in specifications on I/O so they may just be instrument level -20dBu (typical). See if your gear is in the current product line up, they have specs listed for input and output. http://za.boss.info/categories/stompboxes/

Strymon pedals also work quite well (+8dBu typical on input) but are expensive if you have to replace all your gear. ouch. FX on or off you do not hear a tonal difference with the TE-2, DIG, Brigadier, Big Sky, Ola. (last 4 are Strymon pedals).

Check your send level on the back of the amp. You may need to drop the setting if the pedal input buffer is getting hammered. That usually tends to result in tonal loss due to compression or terrible results. I also have a Line 6 DL4 (has no specifications stated for I/O) which ends up with treble cut and compression. TC Flashback (has no specifications stated for I/O) also had issues. The send level on the Mark V is closer to line level so most pedals that do not have enough headroom on the input may result in poor performance in the Mark V FX loop. Pont of reference, Mark III, Mark IV, Roadster, RA100 and JP-2C had no issues with instrument level pedals (at least the L6 and the TC). Most of the other gear I had when I was running the Mark III and then Mark IV I had sold many years ago and when I had left I gave it away.

Thanks for the reply. At least one of my Boss effects (DD-5) has the -20 dBu input and output level. There is no information about nominal input and output levels for my other Boss effects (HF-2, DM-2, CE-2, HR-2). I must test the Mark V with just Boss DD-5 Digital Delay connected to FX loop. FX send level was at noon.

I had a Boss chorus pedal (CE-5 maybe?) in the effects loop and the FX loop send from the Mark V was way too hot for that pedal. It was squashing the signal very badly like a compressor. Reducing the send level ended up fixing it. I ended up trading the pedal for a TC Electronic Corona Chorus which I really like and it handles the line level inputs with no degradation on sound.

The -20dBu is instrument level. Professional level is typically +4dBu (typical with mixers). Consumer grade level is -10dBu (CD players)

The one Boss pedal has max input and output at +20dBu which is very high as I was wondering if it was a typo meaning the "-" sign may have been missing. Nope. It works with the V without any signal loss. I did not have any issues using it with my Tascam Recorder with the auxiliary output.

If the specifications of the device does not state the Input and output levels it is most likely in the -20dBu range as instrument level. Why Mesa did this with the Mark V is beyond reason as most guitar effects are not rated for the signal level the V puts out. Why it was not listed in any specific format in the manual is also disappointing. I have not looked for any recent updates in the manual on the V so it becomes a guess as to what works and what does not.
From what I have seen on the web, this device will work in the loop. 2 channel level shifter. FX loop of the V uses the +4dBu jacks and the FX pedal uses the -10dBu. fist time I have found a solution but it does exist. This should work with your favorite pedals and the Mark V. I believe it uses transformers to create the level shift as it does not matter which channel is used for Send or Return.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LLS2

I may have to get one for myself.

I tested it again. When only Boss DD-5 was connected, there was only slight treble loss send level at noon. I could not hear any treble loss, when Send level was At 11 o'clock. When I added Boss CE-2, I heard bigger treble loss. Finally I tried to connect all the effects and send level was at 7 o'clock. And I did not hear any treble loss! Anybody wanna buy Mark III :lol:

The Mark III loop is in a different position to the Mark V loop, Im pretty sure its after the preamp stage - The Mark V is directly into the preamp stage, so that is probably what you can hear.

I know when I play the delay and reverb in my Mark III it sounds great through the loop - I can play a riff while in loop mode on the strymon timeline - then change the channel to say channel 2 or 3 and play over the top of the recorded loop with a dirty tone, I cant do the same on the Mark V because as soon as you change channel the recorded loop will change to which ever channel you select so it has to be before the preamp section.

you follow what im saying

Casey

Yes I follow. I have played with looper with Mark III. It's a pity, if it's not possible to play over the top of the recorded loop with a different channel.

Latest posts

Back