Mark V + Throttle Box = Recto channel?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giz-Tone

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried this combination. Can it make the Mark V sound like a Recto?

I know it was designed to be a Recto in pedal form.

Funny you should ask...I bought one last night for my Mark V. It's certainly my good enough to work in a gigging situation. I may still want the real deal for recording.

Unfortunately I had to leave town today and won't be able to do any further research until Wednesday :(

I recently tried the opposite. Bought a flux five to see if it could make a recto sound like a mark. The results where, not even close.

Interesting. I'd love to have a Mark lead tone with a Recto rhythm tone, so I was hoping both of these pedals would be at least "good" at providing recto tones to a Mark and vice versa.

I played around with the Throttlebox and my Mark V this morning in a couple of different configurations.

1. I used the Mark's graphic eq everywhere and kept the tone and mid cut knobs on the Throttlebox turned all the way down.
2. I put my OD-808 in front of the Throttlebox
3. I tried the Throttlebox on the Mark's clean channel. Outstanding.
4. I switched to Channel 3, turned the gain pretty much all the way down on the Channel 3, and switch to 90 Watts, Pentode, Extreme Mode (like modern mode on the recto, this removes the negative feedback control from the power section): sweet baby jesus.
5. I also played with full and variac power.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

I am not going to bother trying to A/B this with an actual recto because that will just result in more tail chasing. But to my (rather dubious) ears, this sounds phenomenally good.

Good enough that I may not buy my recto back after all.

-D

Thanks a million man. I have to try this. Would you say it can get close to the present Cannibal Corpse tone? YouTube "encased in concrete", to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Latest posts

Back