Need Help Selecting A Cab - Ordered A New Custom Mark V:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abandoned

Reaction score
Hey guys. Newbie to the Boogie Forum here. I just ordered a new custom Mark V:25 head and I need help selecting a cabinet to go with it. I already own a Dr. Z "Z-Best" 2x12 cabinet. But I'm looking for a cab that will help me produce great, full classic/vintage rock through heavily overdriven rock tone ala alternative rock.

I would like to stick with a Mesa cabinet, but am minimally open to other brand names. Cuz I ordered a custom head and would like it to match.

Thanks!

I don't have an answer, but am interested as well.

I took the V25 out for rehearsal last night and had VERY different experiences with two different cabs.

First I used my splawn 2x12 which has the Marshal G12T-75.

I had to push the volume to hear myself and was not overly pleased with the tone.

Near the end of practice I switched over to a Carvin Legacy cab with two vintage 30's.

What a difference that made. At that point I had to turn down.

Been thinking I may get a rectifier 1x12 with the lone vintage 30.

May not get the spread of a 2x12, but volume wise it should not make a difference. When you go from a 1x12, to a 2x12, to a 4x12, and you are not adding a power amp for additional speakers, you still have the lone power amp only this time the power is spread across multiple speakers, so the individual speaker on a 1x12 would see much more power then the individual speaker on a 4x12.

The key for me volume wise with the any of the cabs was simply having the cab tilted back towards your head.

I ended up staying on crunch for most of the night. That sounded VERY nice.

I had a old Marshall 1x18" PA speaker cabinet that I modified for a 1x12" and put a Celestion V30 1x12" speaker in and I really like the sound of this cabinet. It have a little more low-end compared to a normal 1x12" cabinet.

2B

I really like the 1x12 Mini Rec cab with V30 but it lacked the thump I wanted for heavier music. The 2x12 vertical Rec cab is pretty solid with a little more oomph for the music I like. The mini rec cab may do the trick though. There are some solid comparison videos out there with the Mark V:25head, check them out.

When I bought my Mark V:25 (Lil Baby Jesus) I chose the Mesa 2x12 Recto Vertical cab.
The V30's do a superb job of making the overdrive and classic tones come to life and it has the perfect blend of volume, thump, and portability. Perfect match for the 25.

ryjan said:
When I bought my Mark V:25 (Lil Baby Jesus) I chose the Mesa 2x12 Recto Vertical cab.
The V30's do a superb job of making the overdrive and classic tones come to life and it has the perfect blend of volume, thump, and portability. Perfect match for the 25.

And this dude's videos did the trick for me on the 2x12.

I'm using a Thiele cab with the C90. I ordered another Thiele with their Fillemore speaker that I'm going to stack it with.

It will work with any cab, thanks to the GEQ.

I just gigged it with a 1x12 V30 ported widebody, and I just picked up another with a C90 today. I expect I will be able to run either, or both, with great results.

I have played it with
2x12 horizontal and vertical recto
4x10
1x12 Electradyne widebody cab C90
1x12 widebody ported V30

They all sound different, but they all sound good.

elvis said:
I have played it with
2x12 horizontal and vertical recto
4x10
1x12 Electradyne widebody cab C90
1x12 widebody ported V30

They all sound different, but they all sound good.

Thank you. Can u plz explain to me how the 2x12 recto cabs and the 1x12 wide body cabs sound different plz?

Well, I've explained that exactly in several reviews and it's frankly getting a little tedious. I'm about to add some comments about this latest combination as well.

Try the search function, you'll get a lot of comments about cabinets and speakers. Your best bet is to try a few out in person.

So far I've used my MkV25 with an over-sized ported 1x12 with a EM12 and an over-sized open back pine 1x12 with a Private Jack. The EM12 sounds great with this amp - smooth, articulate, no nasally mid-range colouring. But . . . the speaker weighs 18lbs by itself so the cab is a sobering 46 lbs. This is also because it's a big box made with 3/4" plywood and has internal baffles to divert the sound to the side ports like a Forte. The PJ in the open back does have that mid-range emphasis alone at home, but live, it sounded pretty decent. I guess the mid-range helps in the mix to cut through. I have a Celestion A type due here mid week so that will go in the open back. I hope it is a nice balance.

Why don't I just grab a MC90? They are expensive up here in Canada - special order from the dealer - and Boogie won't ship direct to Canada. They only show up used occasionally.

Got the A Type this morning and installed it in the open back cab. So far it is a nice speaker with balanced mids and a nice round bass. Even though the literature shows the highs drop off dramatically at 5KHZ, it doesn't sound dull, maybe not the high end zing of a British voiced speaker. I can always compensate with the presence on the amp.

drs said:
So far I've used my MkV25 with an over-sized ported 1x12 with a EM12 and an over-sized open back pine 1x12 with a Private Jack. The EM12 sounds great with this amp - smooth, articulate, no nasally mid-range colouring. But . . . the speaker weighs 18lbs by itself so the cab is a sobering 46 lbs. This is also because it's a big box made with 3/4" plywood and has internal baffles to divert the sound to the side ports like a Forte. The PJ in the open back does have that mid-range emphasis alone at home, but live, it sounded pretty decent. I guess the mid-range helps in the mix to cut through. I have a Celestion A type due here mid week so that will go in the open back. I hope it is a nice balance.

Why don't I just grab a MC90? They are expensive up here in Canada - special order from the dealer - and Boogie won't ship direct to Canada. They only show up used occasionally.

We absolutely DO ship direct to Canada...just give us a call in Customer Service! Thanks!

jmontgomery said:
I'm using a Thiele cab with the C90. I ordered another Thiele with their Fillemore speaker that I'm going to stack it with.

Just wanted to add an update that my Thiele with the Fillmore speaker sounds really good :D

Anyone else? So many options. Don't want something physically huge or loud but something that sounds huge, smaller/medium sized cabinet, breathes/has air for cleans then thick and punchy for higher gained overdrive Classic Rock tones. Yeah I basically want a cab that'll do it all, haha.

Any recommendations for that?

Abandoned said:
Anyone else? So many options. Don't want something physically huge or loud but something that sounds huge, smaller/medium sized cabinet, breathes/has air for cleans then thick and punchy for higher gained overdrive Classic Rock tones. Yeah I basically want a cab that'll do it all, haha.

Any recommendations for that?

As soon as you say classic rock I think Greenback (G12M-25). I use a pair of them with my Mark V and they're f*cking amazing. I use a pair of Widebody 1x12s but I'd recommend a Recto 2x12 so that you get thump of a closed back cab. You'll be limited to using your amp on 10/45w modes since a pair of Greenbacks are only rated for 50w.

If you want to stick with a 1x12 then I'd recommend the Royal Atlantic 27" 1x12 with a V30 in it (which is rated for 60w and will also limit you to 10/45w modes). It's a great sounding 1x12 with a fuller response and less boxy sound than the 23" Widebody cabs. It's a rear ported cab, so it still gets some thump, yet it also spreads the sound around the room a bit.

If you want to be able to use 90w mode through a small cab you'll need an MC-90 loaded 1x12 or a 2x12 loaded with V30s (there's other options, but I'm only writing about what I have personal experience with). The MC-90 is a good speaker but I don't particularly like them. A Mesa 2x12 loaded with V30s is getting into modern hard rock/metal territory.

Mesa's V30 loaded cabs are more modern sounding... thicker lower mids, smoother top end, more punch/less crunch.

Greenbacks are it bit more middle mids, more hair on the top end, more crunch, and they scream when you solo through them.

Latest posts

Back