Reverb issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWR07

Reaction score
I just bought a used Lonestar Classic. It’s probably 10 years old, but has about 20 hours on it. Owner bought it for his son who ended up being a heavy metal player so it sat idle. Anyway, the Reverb is almost non existent. I am at a loss. Otherwise this is advertised. I’d like to think it’s a tube, but am I kidding myself? I’ll be able to get a replacement tomorrow night and give that a try. I just hope it isn’t the tank as that would be a pain in the butt. I’m kind of optimistic that because I seem to have a hint of reverb that it’s the tube… any advice or insights welcome! Thanks

Please check that the reverb cables are plugged in correctly… sometimes people who service amps by themselves connect the cables wrong way -> reverb not working

If the amp has been sitting unused for long time the tube socket may be dirty

… just couple of ideas

Hi. Thank you. I did pull the RCA jack last night then make sure it was secure when plugging back in. I think that’s the only cable connecting the tank to the chassis? Will try to check all the preamp tubes even if the Reverb is the only I can tell could be a potential problems. Maybe just pull and reseat a couple times before going the route of buying a new tube first. Thanks again!

I also noticed it has a foot switch connection on the chassis for the reverb. I have a single button switch I have been using for channel switching on the amp. I plugged in to the reverb switch input, but that did not have any effect in turning reverb on or off. Perhaps it has to to a proprietary Boogie switch that gets plugged in there.

AWR07 said:
Hi. Thank you. I did pull the RCA jack last night then make sure it was secure when plugging back in. I think that’s the only cable connecting the tank to the chassis? Will try to check all the preamp tubes even if the Reverb is the only I can tell could be a potential problems. Maybe just pull and reseat a couple times before going the route of buying a new tube first. Thanks again!

I also noticed it has a foot switch connection on the chassis for the reverb. I have a single button switch I have been using for channel switching on the amp. I plugged in to the reverb switch input, but that did not have any effect in turning reverb on or off. Perhaps it has to to a proprietary Boogie switch that gets plugged in there.

The reverb went out on mine a few weeks ago.
It was just one of the 12AX7 preamp tubes.
It's the one closest to the transformer and the power tubes (V4)

If you don't have the manual, you can download it here: https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User%20Manuals/Lonestar.pdf
The tube task chart is on page 21.

*edit*
The manual above is for the Lonestar version one.
Yours may be the newer version 2 with the 10 watt option. If so, here is the manual for yours. I'm not sure how much different they are.
https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User%20Manuals/LoneStar-10w.pdf

Thank you. I do have the version with the 10 / 50 / 100 settings. I think it was the tube. It seems much better having replaced it.

Back