Lonestar Classic 100 Watt head and V1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisl59

Reaction score
After playing more and more thru this head over the last several months, I began to wonder, 'Why do both channels sound weak, Lo Fi and the drive channel just poor?' Well, the head was bought 9/2016...I looked at the manual and the one thing in common? V1...the original tube had never been replaced and I thought, what the heck, I can get a replacement, so I did from Viva Tubes via Reverb. A New Tung-Sol 12AX7/ECC803S; $25 bucks. A well regarded generic model tube within my budget.

Wow, what an improvement~!...both channels now sound as good as new. My installation tip is to unscrew the chassis/disconnect the reverb connectors and power cable and gently slide the chassis(upside down) out of the case about 6 inches. Why? To gain the best access and insure the tube is properly installed (along with the tube shield), with no risk of bent pins. Some would 'roll' all the tubes given the age of the amp, but for me, just the one replacement has done the trick.

Petaluma Rocks~!

Latest posts

Back