New tubes, where to place them?

Classics and Specials

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Post Reply
moleng1
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm

New tubes, where to place them?

Post by moleng1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Hello all, this is my first post on the Boogie Board, what a huge wealth of information this place is!!

I have just purchased a Lonestar 100/50 watt 2x12 combo and she's a beast!! I want to tame her a bit and after some reading I found a post about swapping out the 6L6's and replacing them wit a pair of EL84's and a pair of 6V6's.

I've already ordered the yellow jackets w/ the JJ EL84's and the JJ 6V6's with 20-21 hardness from Tube Depot, the only thing I can't find is which sockets do I install each of the two different tube sets?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and any feedback from people who have gone this route would be awesome as well.

Thanks to all in advance!!

User avatar
fusguitar
Mark II
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:57 am
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: New tubes, where to place them?

Post by fusguitar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:50 am

Welcome aboard.

AFAIK, you have to install 2 tubes in the far left and far right sockets (1 and 4) and 2 tubes in the insde sockets (2 and 3).
Even though i never did this with the tube combination you want to install (i run so far only 6L6s), i think it's the logical step because it's the corresponding procedure like the 4 6L6s ((or EL34s) which the most of us run.
Image

Lonestar Classic head v2, DC-5b combo, 50/50 power amp, 2x12 3/4 back cab 180w, Abacus midi foot controller

Past:
Roadster head, Triaxis (x2), DC-5b combo, 2x50 power amp, F50 combo

moleng1
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Re: New tubes, where to place them?

Post by moleng1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am

fusguitar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:50 am
Welcome aboard.

AFAIK, you have to install 2 tubes in the far left and far right sockets (1 and 4) and 2 tubes in the insde sockets (2 and 3).
Even though i never did this with the tube combination you want to install (i run so far only 6L6s), i think it's the logical step because it's the corresponding procedure like the 4 6L6s ((or EL34s) which the most of us run.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated!! I'm asking where each of the sets should go?? 6V6's in the 100 watt or 50 watt tube holders?

BTW, I love Greece, we try and get there every year, this year we'll be going to Crete!

Cheers

User avatar
fusguitar
Mark II
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:57 am
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: New tubes, where to place them?

Post by fusguitar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:39 pm

moleng1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am
fusguitar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:50 am
Welcome aboard.

AFAIK, you have to install 2 tubes in the far left and far right sockets (1 and 4) and 2 tubes in the insde sockets (2 and 3).
Even though i never did this with the tube combination you want to install (i run so far only 6L6s), i think it's the logical step because it's the corresponding procedure like the 4 6L6s ((or EL34s) which the most of us run.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated!! I'm asking where each of the sets should go?? 6V6's in the 100 watt or 50 watt tube holders?

BTW, I love Greece, we try and get there every year, this year we'll be going to Crete!

Cheers
From the manusl:
"Leave the BIAS SELECT switch set to 6L6 (switch down) and install four 6V6 power tubes. It is advisable to use both Channels set to the 100 watt setting for reliability and proper impedance matching.Do not run 6V6 in the normal POWER ON setting as they cannot handle the higher AC voltage and could fail and damage internal components! When using these tubes, move the 8 ohm speaker to the 4 ohm SPEAKER OUTPUT jack. This will reduce strain on the tubes and produce the best sonic response."

So, i don't think it matters where, because you have to keep it in 100w, anyway. I don't know what will happen with combination of EL84s, though. It's better to email to Mesa, they response fast and they have great service.

*off topic:
As far as the Crete, yes, it's an amazing place! You can see everything there, from tall mountains and snow to exotic beaches with palm trees and everything in between! I've been there several times and i guarrantee to you that you will don't regret it. But, be ready for some really strong drunkenness with raki, a very strong local alcoholic beverage! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image

Lonestar Classic head v2, DC-5b combo, 50/50 power amp, 2x12 3/4 back cab 180w, Abacus midi foot controller

Past:
Roadster head, Triaxis (x2), DC-5b combo, 2x50 power amp, F50 combo

moleng1
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Re: New tubes, where to place them?

Post by moleng1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:13 pm

fusguitar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:39 pm
moleng1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am
fusguitar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:50 am
Welcome aboard.

AFAIK, you have to install 2 tubes in the far left and far right sockets (1 and 4) and 2 tubes in the insde sockets (2 and 3).
Even though i never did this with the tube combination you want to install (i run so far only 6L6s), i think it's the logical step because it's the corresponding procedure like the 4 6L6s ((or EL34s) which the most of us run.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated!! I'm asking where each of the sets should go?? 6V6's in the 100 watt or 50 watt tube holders?

BTW, I love Greece, we try and get there every year, this year we'll be going to Crete!

Cheers
*off topic:
As far as the Crete, yes, it's an amazing place! You can see everything there, from tall mountains and snow to exotic beaches with palm trees and everything in between! I've been there several times and i guarrantee to you that you will don't regret it. But, be ready for some really strong drunkenness with raki, a very strong local alcoholic beverage! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks again for the reply, I have been to Greece over 10 times in the last 15 years, I would love to retire there!! I am looking forward to Crete. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I got married on Kefalonia 2 years ago to a beautiful Greek girl!! In total I've been to Skopelos, Skathos, Evia, Corfu, Kefalonia, Mykonos, Santorini, Syros, Ios, Milos, Hydra, Aegina, Poros, and Naxos.

moleng1
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Re: New tubes, where to place them?

Post by moleng1 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:59 pm

OK, well I still have no idea where to place these pairs?? I guess I'll just have to experiment and hope that I don't screw up the amp!!

woodbutcher65
Mark III
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: New tubes, where to place them?

Post by woodbutcher65 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:07 pm

Just mirror image the pairs. Doesn't matter which pair is inside and which pair is outside.

I have a friend who's been using yellowjackets on one of his amps, a Kendrick Black Gold something. 35 or 15, I don't remember which.

Anyway, it makes those EL84s run stupid hot. The plates are very faintly glowing. That's too much current draw. I've recommended that he NOT use those for that reason.

I'd make the same recommendation to you. If the tube plates glow with the yellow jackets, don't use them. Check in a dark room. Any glow from the plates is a no go condition.

moleng1
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Re: New tubes, where to place them?

Post by moleng1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:55 am

woodbutcher65 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:07 pm
Just mirror image the pairs. Doesn't matter which pair is inside and which pair is outside.

I have a friend who's been using yellowjackets on one of his amps, a Kendrick Black Gold something. 35 or 15, I don't remember which.

Anyway, it makes those EL84s run stupid hot. The plates are very faintly glowing. That's too much current draw. I've recommended that he NOT use those for that reason.

I'd make the same recommendation to you. If the tube plates glow with the yellow jackets, don't use them. Check in a dark room. Any glow from the plates is a no go condition.
Thanks for the info WB, appreciated! I did find a very good thread on here about using that combination and have ordered everything that the supposed guru of the Lonestar posted, according to that thread he said use the pairs in either sockets (as you rightly pointed out, thanks!) he also said to buy certain JJ 6V6's with a 20 or 21 hardness and set the amp to the EL34 bias and run the speaker on 4 ohms. I'm going to give her a try, he had used this set up quite reliably it seems.

I've attached to thread below if you have any interest??

Thanks again for the reply!!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32137&sid=db083631 ... a1dda4e195

Post Reply