Fender guy here, went with a LSC to pair with my DRRI

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohimbe2

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m the kind of guy that buys guitars/amps and keep them a long long time. It takes me years to bond with an amp and once i’m there I stay. So my last purchase was a 68 Custom Fender Deluxe Reverb (reissue) and I am hooked. I like it so much I wanted to buy another to run in stereo. Buying two Fenders just seemed silly, so I thought I’d add some flavor with a Boogie amp..

I have the LSC 100/50 2x12 in blue that I grabbed for 900 on Craiglist. I’m in a arm sling at the moment and won’t be able to play for another week—for now all I can do is look at it twist the knobs etc... I’m Not a metal or high gain guy at all, I’m older and my tastes are back to blues and clean tones. (Rolling Stones, SRV, BB King, T-Bone walker and many others)

Did I make a good move here? I’m thinking the LSC will be more on the Fender Twin side of town with cleans breaking up much later/louder than the DRRI. Anyway, any tips greatly appreciated. I’m also wondering how much less of an amp the 100/50 is vs the later 100/50/10....it wasn’t until I met the seller that I realized that this is the older model.

I play Strats and Teles, and occasionally an LP to round myself out a bit. I’m playing single coil pickups 90% of the time.

You got a good deal--Even if you only use it for the clean channel, which to me is one of the best out there.
If you didn't get the user manual, I would download one here: http://mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/Lonestar.pdf
The manual is useful for the interactive tone controls and has many useful sample settings which are good starting points.

Thanks, the seller gave me a manual and I’ve read the online manual many times. I’m really excited to take it for a spin but the doctor says no guitar for at least one more week. It’s killing me! (Rotator cuff surgery)

The seller was asking 1000 and mentioned that GC had the same amp for 1100 (plus tax and shipping) I figured I’d offer 900. It’s Good to know I didn’t over pay.

I've been running both channels at 100w and it sounds great at any volume. Fantastic reverb controllable on each channel and 2 voices.

Cool, I’ve watched YouTube and have seen many that prefer the tone at 100 watts. I just put a fresh set of strings on my telecaster and plan to give the amp a test ride tomorrow. Fresh strings stretching out now..(Kotzen Telecaster—-noisy as hell but dam the tone is worth it—)

My neighbors want to kill me. This 2x12 has bass! I’m using the manual and factory recommended settings (channel 1) and am loving this amp! I’d like to sharpen up the tone a bit but the more rounded sounds are nice compared to my Fender.

Now who doesn’t buy a brand new toy and rave and rave about it. I really hate that. I just got this thing and it will take some time to figure out and to gel with. I do know that I made a good move here, this is a classic. It’s not a Fender, that’s for sure

I’ll have this for many many years

Ask not that your amp can do for you.....Ask what you can do for your amp! My amp is waiting for me to make the tones....This Lonestar is as good as they get.

yohimbe2 said:
..........Ask not that your amp can do for you.....Ask what you can do for your amp! My amp is waiting for me to make the tones....This Lonestar is as good as they get.
Probably the best summary of the LSC I have ever read. :mrgreen:

yohimbe2 said:
My neighbors want to kill me. This 2x12 has bass! I’m using the manual and factory recommended settings (channel 1) and am loving this amp! I’d like to sharpen up the tone a bit but the more rounded sounds are nice compared to my Fender.
Glad you are loving it! For "tone sharpening," here are a few things that have worked for me:

• Single Coils generally and Stratocasters specifically. It really feels like this amp was made with Strats in mind.
  • 1x12" cab rather than stock 2x12"
  • EQ pedal. After my first few days, I opted out of using the EQ pedal, as it felt like it was taking personality out of the amp, but it was super helpful in shaping my tone initially.
  • (Drive Channel Only) As counter-intuitive as it sounds, set it to "thicker"; it actually has a little more edge, especially at lower volumes.
  • Don't be afraid of extremes. Pushing the bass/mid knobs waaaay further down (7:30 and 8 o'clock respectively) and the Treble high as well (like 4 o'clock) makes a big difference. The presence knob, too, I tend to keep at noon, which is about 2 hours past ANY other amp I use. This is true on both channels, but especially on the drive channel.

Not all of these may be options for you, but you can at least do the last two right away. Part of it is getting used to how the knobs interact and shape your tone vs. other amplifiers, another part is just getting used to it (you'll know you've reached this point when other amps start sounding thin when you plug into them right after your Lonestar)...

I’ve been playing a Kotzen Telecaster with fresh strings (2x a month) for all of my testing of this amp. I’m loving the bell like tones. The middle pickup tone is amazing on this guitar. (As well as the neck pickup tones)

I guess it’s time to put the Tele away and try my Baby....a deluxe Strat I bought many years ago. My favorite with a soft V neck.

“Ask not what your amp can do for you. Ask what you can do for your amp!!!” I hate typos and thought I’d say it again...

I am taking my time to see what I can do for this this amp. New strings on my Strat next......in 30 days I’ll do the same for my LP...I hear you about the single coil pickups....the same thing applies to Fender amps.

Latest posts

Back