The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a problem. Any help would be really appreciated.
Last night at practice I plugged in and switched on. The amp was on the 2nd channel an it seemed to have more hum than normal but was sounding good when I played. I switched to channel 1 with the footswitch. No hum whatsoever and it was working perfectly. I switched back to channel 2 and no sound!! Switched back to ch1 and no sound and I mean zero sound not even the sound of the amp being on. Only the fan. Switched the amp off and on a couple of times. Unplugged the footswich flicked the channel switch the wattage switches and the silicon/tube rectifier switch. Nothing!! All I could get was with the footswitch back in was a slight ticking inside the chassis when on ch 2.
Set up again at home tonight for another look. Again nothing can't get the ticking sound now. I changed every pre amp valve 1 at a time then switched all the power valves for a new set. Nothing!!
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:46 pm 
Single Recto

If you're sure you got good preamp tubes in at replacement...then move on to the power tubes. Probably should get it to an amp tech.

Plan-x
https://myspace.com/wichmanbrewster/music/songs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hi. Thanks for reply. Yeah I replaced all the pre and power tubes. I’ve sent the amp back under warranty. I’ll let you all know the outcome.
It’s killing me not having my Lonestar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:36 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Well that's weird!! After the amp not working which was witnessed by me, my supplier and the distributor rep. It now is!! It was taken back to the distributor under warranty. The tech apparently took it out the chassis and plugged it in and it worked fine. It has supposedly been checked over with no fault found. It was put back in the housing and played for an hour with no problem.
So I've got it back and it sounds great however I've lost a bit of confidence in the amp. I was wanting the problem identified and sorted. Can't help thinking what will stop that happening again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:37 am 
Mark II

I hear you - it is the same feeling I had years ago with my Acoustic G 100 T that broke down after a gig triggering a 200$ repair bill - mucho dinero for a student, and I could not work on amps myself at that time. The only thing to regain confidence in the amp is to play the amp. If it works, it works. The only other thing that comes to mind is to check every connection before firing up the amp, especially if there is a speaker plugged in.

Cheers Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:09 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Cheers for the sympathy and advice Stephan. Yeah I’ll do that and hopefully all will be good.