New Found Love for Mesa Lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micky mesa

Reaction score
I had a low opion of Mesa for a Long time based off of my owning and using a Mesa F-30 it was ok but ran Hot
and I also had owned a Mark IV very sterile clean and much harder to find decent settings
I was looking for a Fender Blackface type of Clean
I was looking for Clean Headroom
a very good tube reverb
I found everything that I was looking for in a Mesa Lonestar classic 212
Crisp Clean with plenty of bottom and Lush reverb
and I found that I could use it in 50 watt mode with diode setting and prolong the tube life
and to my amazement the fan is very quiet and the tubes are very cool
I also had owned a Nomad 50 212 once (awful)
but the Lonestar is my go to and keeper amp

I’m relatively new to a gorgeous LSC 2x12 as well. Had to get a flight case to transport it to gigs though as that single strap on the top does not make carrying it easy.

micky mesa said:
I had a low opion of Mesa for a Long time based off of my owning and using a Mesa F-30 it was ok but ran Hot
and I also had owned a Mark IV very sterile clean and much harder to find decent settings
I was looking for a Fender Blackface type of Clean
I was looking for Clean Headroom
a very good tube reverb
I found everything that I was looking for in a Mesa Lonestar classic 212
Crisp Clean with plenty of bottom and Lush reverb
and I found that I could use it in 50 watt mode with diode setting and prolong the tube life
and to my amazement the fan is very quiet and the tubes are very cool
I also had owned a Nomad 50 212 once (awful)
but the Lonestar is my go to and keeper amp

The LSC is one of Mesa's classics IMHO - and been in production for some time, so a lot of users appreciate it's magic. Cleans are great, but for me this thing shines at edge of break-up and light crunch. Turn down bass, accentuate mids / trebble, and it sings like a banshee. LIkes good boost pedals too, so is very flexible

Glad you found "your" amp 8)

Yes, I totaaly agree about the Lonestar liking boost pedals.
For my lead sound, I experimented at length with the pedal setup I had successful used with my Marshalls, i.e. OCD into the ‘overdrive’ channel for a soaring lead tone. However, Into the Lonestar’s second channel, I found the OCD dominating, providing too much colouration. I was loosing the character of the Mesa. Something milder like my SD-1 was an improvement, but I was still unhappy with the lack-lustre sound.
Then I tried a simple treble boost style pedal (the Phil Hilborne Fat TB by Thunder Tomate) into channel 2 set up with a mild crunch, and bingo, there it was, the soaring lead tone I had been chasing since forever. For me, the bonus is that this setup works equally well with either single coil or humbucker equipped guitars.

Chester said:
Not heard of the Hilborn TB - I'll look it out .. thanks for the heads up
Amazing player. This is his website (the treble booster can be found in the ‘shop’ section).
http://philhilborne.co.uk/enter.htm

Latest posts

Back