Mesa 5 band graphic eq pedal and the lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarvc

Reaction score
Has anybody used this combination? I experienced the builtin eq with the JP2C and it is dramatic. How would that pedal work on the Lonestar?

guitarvc said:
Has anybody used this combination? I experienced the builtin eq with the JP2C and it is dramatic. How would that pedal work on the Lonestar?
I've wrote something about this combination in a topic (link below) about some people finding the Lone Star Drive channel to bassy. I use the 5-band EQ pedal from Mesa with the Lone Star Classic and it works great to sculpture your tone even beyond the EQ possibilities of the Lone Star!

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=71878&start=15

The Lo Lands said:
guitarvc said:
I've wrote something about this combination in a topic (link below) about some people finding the Lone Star Drive channel to bassy. I use the 5-band EQ pedal from Mesa with the Lone Star Classic and it works great to sculpture your tone even beyond the EQ possibilities of the Lone Star!

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=71878&start=15

Certainly a cheap upgrade, and a very good idea LoLands .. Btw: where are you based?

Chester said:
Certainly a cheap upgrade, and a very good idea LoLands .. Btw: where are you based?
Not the cheapest EQ pedal but its a good one! Before the Mesa i had the Boss and MXR EQ pedal but the Mesa doesn't add any hiss or other noise. I'm from the Netherlands btw.

The Lo Lands said:
Chester said:
Not the cheapest EQ pedal but its a good one! Before the Mesa i had the Boss and MXR EQ pedal but the Mesa doesn't add any hiss or other noise. I'm from the Netherlands btw.

Thanks for the advice LoLands. I bought a Mesa 5 band EQ and am trying it in my amps. I see exactly what you mean by tightening up the bass response with the 240 slider on the Lonestar. A clearer, tighter bottom end which responds well to pick attack. No longer boomy or flubby when gain is past noon, and I can add a little more bass through the pre-amp to fill out the tone

One thing I learned quickly - taking a frequency away is effective, but changes the overdrive response significantly, which I don't nescessarily want. It smooths it out too much, losing its bite. I am now experimenting with reducing the 240 slider, and adding other frequencies in equal measure, which seems to be working better through my rigs

I would appreciate any further advice based on your own experience

Thought you were probably from Holland .. I am Belgian living in the UK

Latest posts

Back