The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 am 
Bottle Rocket

Has anybody used this combination? I experienced the builtin eq with the JP2C and it is dramatic. How would that pedal work on the Lonestar?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:25 pm 
Mark I

guitarvc wrote:
Has anybody used this combination? I experienced the builtin eq with the JP2C and it is dramatic. How would that pedal work on the Lonestar?
I've wrote something about this combination in a topic (link below) about some people finding the Lone Star Drive channel to bassy. I use the 5-band EQ pedal from Mesa with the Lone Star Classic and it works great to sculpture your tone even beyond the EQ possibilities of the Lone Star!

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=71878&start=15

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:23 pm 
Mark III

The Lo Lands wrote:
guitarvc wrote:
I've wrote something about this combination in a topic (link below) about some people finding the Lone Star Drive channel to bassy. I use the 5-band EQ pedal from Mesa with the Lone Star Classic and it works great to sculpture your tone even beyond the EQ possibilities of the Lone Star!

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=71878&start=15

Certainly a cheap upgrade, and a very good idea LoLands .. Btw: where are you based?

Carol Ann OD 3R
Carol Ann Tucana 3R
Carol Ann 10th Anniversary
Redplate Aurora 34
Matchless Independence
Marshall Anniversary 4X12
Marshall 1936 2X12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:28 pm 
Mark I

Chester wrote:
Certainly a cheap upgrade, and a very good idea LoLands .. Btw: where are you based?

Not the cheapest EQ pedal but its a good one! Before the Mesa i had the Boss and MXR EQ pedal but the Mesa doesn't add any hiss or other noise. I'm from the Netherlands btw.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 am 
Mark III

The Lo Lands wrote:
Chester wrote:

Not the cheapest EQ pedal but its a good one! Before the Mesa i had the Boss and MXR EQ pedal but the Mesa doesn't add any hiss or other noise. I'm from the Netherlands btw.

Thanks for the advice LoLands. I bought a Mesa 5 band EQ and am trying it in my amps. I see exactly what you mean by tightening up the bass response with the 240 slider on the Lonestar. A clearer, tighter bottom end which responds well to pick attack. No longer boomy or flubby when gain is past noon, and I can add a little more bass through the pre-amp to fill out the tone

One thing I learned quickly - taking a frequency away is effective, but changes the overdrive response significantly, which I don't nescessarily want. It smooths it out too much, losing its bite. I am now experimenting with reducing the 240 slider, and adding other frequencies in equal measure, which seems to be working better through my rigs

I would appreciate any further advice based on your own experience

Thought you were probably from Holland .. I am Belgian living in the UK

Carol Ann OD 3R
Carol Ann Tucana 3R
Carol Ann 10th Anniversary
Redplate Aurora 34
Matchless Independence
Marshall Anniversary 4X12
Marshall 1936 2X12