Mesa 5 band graphic eq pedal and the lonestar

Classics and Specials

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

guitarvc
Bottle Rocket

Mesa 5 band graphic eq pedal and the lonestar

Post by guitarvc » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 am

Has anybody used this combination? I experienced the builtin eq with the JP2C and it is dramatic. How would that pedal work on the Lonestar?
Mesa Lonestar and Kurt Wilson Guitars

The Lo Lands
Mark I

Re: Mesa 5 band graphic eq pedal and the lonestar

Post by The Lo Lands » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:25 pm

guitarvc wrote:Has anybody used this combination? I experienced the builtin eq with the JP2C and it is dramatic. How would that pedal work on the Lonestar?
I've wrote something about this combination in a topic (link below) about some people finding the Lone Star Drive channel to bassy. I use the 5-band EQ pedal from Mesa with the Lone Star Classic and it works great to sculpture your tone even beyond the EQ possibilities of the Lone Star!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=71878&start=15

Chester
Mark III

Post by Chester » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:23 pm

The Lo Lands wrote:
guitarvc wrote:Has anybody used this combination? I experienced the builtin eq with the JP2C and it is dramatic. How would that pedal work on the Lonestar?
I've wrote something about this combination in a topic (link below) about some people finding the Lone Star Drive channel to bassy. I use the 5-band EQ pedal from Mesa with the Lone Star Classic and it works great to sculpture your tone even beyond the EQ possibilities of the Lone Star!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=71878&start=15
Certainly a cheap upgrade, and a very good idea LoLands .. Btw: where are you based?
PRS 2 Channel 50
Carol Ann Triptik R
Carol Ann OD 3R
Carol Ann Tucana 3R
Carol Ann 10th Anniversary
Redplate Aurora 34
Marshall Anniversary 4X12
PRS 2X12

The Lo Lands
Mark I

Post by The Lo Lands » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Chester wrote:Certainly a cheap upgrade, and a very good idea LoLands .. Btw: where are you based?
Not the cheapest EQ pedal but its a good one! Before the Mesa i had the Boss and MXR EQ pedal but the Mesa doesn't add any hiss or other noise. I'm from the Netherlands btw.

Chester
Mark III

Post by Chester » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 am

The Lo Lands wrote:
Chester wrote:Certainly a cheap upgrade, and a very good idea LoLands .. Btw: where are you based?
Not the cheapest EQ pedal but its a good one! Before the Mesa i had the Boss and MXR EQ pedal but the Mesa doesn't add any hiss or other noise. I'm from the Netherlands btw.
Thanks for the advice LoLands. I bought a Mesa 5 band EQ and am trying it in my amps. I see exactly what you mean by tightening up the bass response with the 240 slider on the Lonestar. A clearer, tighter bottom end which responds well to pick attack. No longer boomy or flubby when gain is past noon, and I can add a little more bass through the pre-amp to fill out the tone

One thing I learned quickly - taking a frequency away is effective, but changes the overdrive response significantly, which I don't nescessarily want. It smooths it out too much, losing its bite. I am now experimenting with reducing the 240 slider, and adding other frequencies in equal measure, which seems to be working better through my rigs

I would appreciate any further advice based on your own experience

Thought you were probably from Holland .. I am Belgian living in the UK
PRS 2 Channel 50
Carol Ann Triptik R
Carol Ann OD 3R
Carol Ann Tucana 3R
Carol Ann 10th Anniversary
Redplate Aurora 34
Marshall Anniversary 4X12
PRS 2X12