Differences in tone 1x12 vs 2 x12 with LSC. Opinions sought.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philh27

Reaction score
Finally I've decided to to have my beloved LSC 2 x 12 combo converted to a head and cab, as I can no longer cope with the weight of the combo.

My final decision is whether to go with a 2 x 12 cab, or use only one of the speakers in a 23" wide 1 x 12 format. The 1 x 12 option appeals again primarily as it will reduce weight.

However, I'd like to know what change in tone I might experience. I'm used to hearing a 2 x 12 and I'm very happy with it. My perception is that there might be a little less spread, could be a bit more focussed and could be a little less bass response, all if which shouldn't be a problem, so long as it is not too significant.

Any thoughts/ first hand experiences?

Thanks.

philh27 said:
Finally I've decided to to have my beloved LSC 2 x 12 combo converted to a head and cab, as I can no longer cope with the weight of the combo.

My final decision is whether to go with a 2 x 12 cab, or use only one of the speakers in a 23" wide 1 x 12 format. The 1 x 12 option appeals again primarily as it will reduce weight.

However, I'd like to know what change in tone I might experience. I'm used to hearing a 2 x 12 and I'm very happy with it. My perception is that there might be a little less spread, could be a bit more focussed and could be a little less bass response, all if which shouldn't be a problem, so long as it is not too significant.

Any thoughts/ first hand experiences?

Thanks.
You answered your own question already :) I've got a LSC head and use it with a ported 1x12 (Celestion Redback) if space and weight is an issue and a closed 2x12 (Celestion V30 UK version) if i want to run the amp at its full potential. Besides the open and closed cabs you should decide which you prefer, same for the speakers.

Thanks for the response. Whatever cab I go for will be open backed as is the existing combo. I'll also be using the existing stock speaker(s) for now at least, which I'm quite happy with.

It really is about what effect the size of the enclosure/ using 1 speaker rather than two will have.

I'm getting the picture that my tone will remain pretty much intact, just with the subtle changes I mention.

The effect is what you hear and feel when you are playing. Imo the LSC benefits from a bigger cab because this amp has very strong low/mids so it can 'breath' more if the cab enclosure is bigger. The fact that you are using open cabs helps for creating this bigger sound with less prominent low end so you really should try a open 1x12 cab and decide if this works for you or not.

Latest posts

Back