Radio noise in my new/used Lonestar Special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Star Kev

Reaction score
Mesa Newbie

I am brand new to Mesa as of three days ago and only started playing electric 1 year ago after 40 years of acoustic so a definite neophyte to electric guitars
Two questions .
So I bought a used but in great shape appearance wise, almost new looking Lonestar Special and it sounds great BUT ??
It a different speaker than on the Mesa web sight spec sheet AND noticeable Radio Interference problems.
First:
The speaker is a Celestion G12H 30W Vintage which sounds fine but is not the C90 that they come with (currently anyway) ?? Was the 30 a prior factory installation or option, or is a customer mod ?

The radio interference is definitely in the amp not in any cables, as it has the problem even when no cables are plugged in.
It did not exhibit this when auditioning at the seller's house and I realize it does have to with location ( my attic studio ) BUT it is an issue only with the LLS, as my Year old Supro sitting right next to it has not RF coming through. ?????

Any thoughts ? thanks, Kev

Note: I posted this same post over on the Mesa Boogie Amp forum but that forum appears to have very little if anything, going on

I have had this happen with my amps before, picked up the rock station in my area and jammed along. Dont know what causes it.

Okay did some digging. its most likely down to the shielding in your guitar pots and the massive amount of coil thats in there picking it up. It could also mean your amp is not fully grounded.

Hey thanks for the reply. It must be a ground issue in the amp then because it does it with no guitar or cables plugged in .

The research I have been doing on it seems to be focused on cables etc. Haven't found anything about bad grounding on the amp so thanks again, Kev

I've had this happen to a C+ that was two years old in the mid-eighties. But it only happened at this one bar that we played at every other weekend. And even then it would only pick up radio frequencies once a month or so. It wasn't very loud and soon as I started to play through the amp it was inaudible. We found it quite amusing but I'm sure if it did it all the time or if it did it when trying to record it wouldn't have been as amusing. So the only in put I have is that the Lone Star special isn't the only amp that's had this issue and it only happened in one certain location never anywhere else that I played ever. I wish I could be more helpful and tell you what's causing it but I never diagnosed it in my amp because it wasn't much of a problem.

Speaker cable?

I used to have this issue, mainly with my MKV head through a 4x12, but sometimes my other amps also. Got the highest grade, shortest Monster cable I could find and haven't had an issue since

May be worth connecting the Supro speaker with a good speaker cable and see if that isolates the issue for you. If the speaker has been changed out by the previous owner, worth a shot

Latest posts

Back