LoneStar Classic Settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Hey,
I recently bought a Lonestar Classic 10/50/100 112 Combo. I'm loving the clean channel but I am having a hard time dialing in the 2nd channel. This is my first Mesa amp and I've heard a lot about how different the controls react on these amps compared to other amps so I thought some of you could help me out a bit. I'm playing a Strat with Fat 50s pickups and right now I'm looking for a lead tone that is somewhat similar to John Mayers lead tone on the 'Where the light is' concert (something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NXn2l-49u4 ). I do have a TS Mini if that helps. Do you think I could get something close to that with what I have?

Did you buy it new? If so it should have a user manual. If you don't have one you can download one here http://mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/LoneStar-10w.pdf

The Mesa user manuals are extremely helpful and always include very useful sample settings that at the very least provide a good place to start.

Mayer's sound is not very high gain so I would start by using the Clean rather than the Drive settings.

Good luck.

Actually there is quite a bit of gain or saturation on Mayers' amp in that clip. You're gonna need to use ch 2 with the drive engaged. But...ch 2 is notoriously muddy. I have done the Reeder mod that clones the channels. It will help the strat tone to shine through with drive. Either way, bass and mids gotta be around 10:00 or less with presence and treble at 12:00 or higher. No thick, drive at 1-3 o'clock, gain 3-5 o'clock.

plan-x said:
Actually there is quite a bit of gain or saturation on Mayers' amp in that clip. You're gonna need to use ch 2 with the drive engaged. But...ch 2 is notoriously muddy. I have done the Reeder mod that clones the channels. It will help the strat tone to shine through with drive. Either way, bass and mids gotta be around 10:00 or less with presence and treble at 12:00 or higher. No thick, drive at 1-3 o'clock, gain 3-5 o'clock.

I'm on the same page regarding drive on CH2. Gain at 2 pm, drive at noon with HB's, a bit higher with a strat

I would add that keeping bass around 8:30, mids just above noon and chanel master at noon opens my LSC up to produce a crisp, ringing drive tone without mud or bass boom 8)

I have a 2016 LSC 1x12 combo, stock MC90 Speaker. Drive settings:

Drive 1 O'Clock
Gain 1-2 O'Clock
Treble 1 O'Clock
Mids 9 O'Clock
Bass 9 O'Clock
Presence Noon

Channel volumes never above noon, set to balance clean and OD volume. Output is my overall volume, solo for solos, slightly louder so that clean and od solos are noticeably louder (10db or so ). I always run it at 100 watts with a band, but use the variac to brown the sound a little. It is a sensational sound. Dont change the eq very often, want single coils to sound like single coils, humbuckers like humbuckers. Use a COMPRESSOR TO EVEN THE VOLUME BETWEEN THE TWO. REALLY SHINES IN A LIVE SETTING AT BAND VOLUME. Great at cutting through the mix with a crisp and smooth sound.

Latest posts

Back