The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LS Classic Tweed Mode
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:42 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I just got a new Lonestar Classic. In tweed mode, the gain and tone controls for channel 1 don't work. For example, while in channel 1, adjusting the gain knob (or treble/bass etc) has no effect on the sound. The master volume for channel 1 DOES work however.

In channel 2, all controls appear to function normally.

Interestingly, when in channel 1, the gain and tone controls for channel 2 actually effect the sound for channel 1.

There are no footswitches plugged in. Also, in full power mode, both channels work as intended.

Is this normal?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:53 pm 
Bottle Rocket

That isn't normal.
Here's a schematic: http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetube ... ematic.pdf

What's happening is relay RY-1 isn't activating when channel 1 is switched on. The Channel 2 Clean/Drive Switch should also effect channel 1 as well. The switching matrix probably isn't faulty because it works in Normal Power Mode.

The only reason why I can think this only happens in Tweed Power Mode only is because the reduced voltages are reduced further by a faulty part in the power supply circuit for the switching matrix(e.g. rectifier diode, capacitor). The then very reduced voltages are too low to trigger the relay or BJT. Although, I find that unlikely because RY-2M and RY-2R have a very similar supply systems but they do operate. The main difference is the LED. Maybe something is wrong with that? This is all an out on a limb thought, though.

Hope this helps.

Zest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:13 am 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks for the reply. The led indicating channel 1 works in both cases.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:20 pm 
Mark I

bal704 wrote:
I just got a new Lonestar Classic. In tweed mode, the gain and tone controls for channel 1 don't work. For example, while in channel 1, adjusting the gain knob (or treble/bass etc) has no effect on the sound. The master volume for channel 1 DOES work however.

In channel 2, all controls appear to function normally.

Interestingly, when in channel 1, the gain and tone controls for channel 2 actually effect the sound for channel 1.

There are no footswitches plugged in. Also, in full power mode, both channels work as intended.

Is this normal?

You say you got a NEW Lonestar? New to you, or brand new? Is it still under warranty?
Definitely something wrong with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:19 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Yeah, brand new. Bought it from an authorized dealer. I contacted Mesa, and they confirmed it is not working properly.