NAD - Lonestar Special "Short Head?"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Assault Bacon

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Well, I picked up my first LoneStar this Sunday. It's smaller than the standard Special head - after doing a little research, I discovered mentions of a "short head" in both the special and the classic. I drove to Dallas on Sunday to pick it up.

When we were exchanging cash for amp, the previous owner also said that he bought it at Guitar Center Dallas some years ago and was told by the GC employee that it had been traded in by Andy Timmons. He hadn't said anything about that previously (so it wasn't a selling point) and after driving for hours to get there and handing him my cash, he really didn't have a reason to lie to me... plus, he seemed like a decent enough guy.

I don't buy everything I hear but I believe that someone at GC might have told him that.

Anyway, I'm really excited about having this and looking forward to playing it. Have to go find a cab.

I know where I can find an Avatar 2x12 with V30's in it and there's a relatively cheap 1x12 with a Cannabis Rex available. Not sure what I should look for, though.

UPDATED PHOTOS:

IMG_0554_zpsl4tgg54g.jpg

IMG_0561_zpsn69k0556.jpg

IMG_0560_zpsypwlprzq.jpg

IMG_0564_zpstq3fkujw.jpg

Thanks - yeah, I think they're all the same size (the Special heads) and it's just the shell that varies.

UPDATE - also, Andy Timmons says he's never owned a Special, only Classics, let alone traded one in to GC. So there's that. :lol:

My LSS combo is that size cab. I guess I could have gotten in on the last of a limited run or something, never saw another one.

I ended up pairing it with an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 cab with V30's.

Personally, I think it sounds phenomenal. I'm still hunting tones, though, and finding out what this thing can do.

I love bumping the treble a bit and adding just a touch of fuzz.

Back