lonestar - loss of volume in clean channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sg1

Reaction score
Hey all.
I recently bought a Lonestar 2x12. I absolutely adore the amp.
Problem is just this past week the power (volume) in the clean channel has dropped about 50% and sounds terribly thin.
channel 2 sounds normal.

I tend to run the gain pretty high on the clean channel.- I love how you can keep a nice clean sound but break it up if you hit it hard.
Any Ideas what might cause this? - pretty much stay in the drive/thick/tweed settings.

I would naturally suspect tubes.
I have a couple of replacement 6L6s I could try, but can someone tell me where they go? (which tubes are for which channel)
Love to have some help. miss my sound - got a show coming up.
Thanks..

Addendum...
I just changed out the 6L6s.
No change...
could it be pre-amp tubes??

Most likely a bad preamp tube! Did you bought the amp new or second hand? If new and not a half year old you should contact Mesa for a new set of tubes!

Hi. - thanks.
Bought it used.

yep, I changed out 2 preamp tubes.
Seems to have restored the volume and tone.
Thanks - Love that amp
Now if they could just make the dang thing lighter. LOL

In the process of troubleshooting it I learned how deep the science of creating tone with tubes goes.
One really has to know quite a lot to expect the amp to perform at its best.

Your welcome and good to read you solved the problem! I've got the head version which is not that heavy :) Great amp indeed!

I had a custom combo cabinet made, just wide enough for the head and reverb tank. Cut the weight in half and it is now a 1x12 grab n go combo with monster tone.

Yep! Also i don't like Mesa's C90 speakers which come stock with the LSC combo's. A separate cab is your best bet and you can always switch later on if desired.

Back