LSC + Bogner La Grange = OMG!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have finally found my OD tone on my beloved LSC!!! I have tried so many pedals looking for that elusive OD tone that works well with my amp, I have lost count. I happened upon a video (Side 1) for the Bogner La Grange pedal. The first part of the demo begins with the pedal off and the amp set to a tone identical to how I use my ch 2. When he kicks in the pedal----OMG that is THE tone, BUT still a little skeptical that it would truly work with my LSC. I found one at Sweetwater and got it last week. All I can say is- UNBELIEVABLE TONE!!!!! EVERY SETTING!!!!! I now have my LSC cleans AND an OD tone to die for! I can NOT get a bad tone with this pedal. Yes it gets the ZZ Top La Grange tone perfectly, but also EVH Brown tones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Warren Haynes, scooped hi gain tones, fat power chords with distinct notes, PLUS I am able to dial in my own sound. The Variac switch is dead on, the ability to adjust gain settings with an expression pedal is allowing me to use only one pedal for all my tones. The boost gives me a great lead tone. I have my Duncan pickups wired to split to single coil. My Jazz neck pickup on single coil with lo Gain settings is Blues magic. So expressive. I am so knocked out by how amazing this rig sounds now. If you are not happy with channel 2, GET THIS PEDAL!!!!!

I have my amp set to ch 2.
NO Drive.
Gain at 12noon,
Treble at 1:30,
Mid at 11:30
Bass at 1:00
Presence 1:00
Guitars - 2000 Gibson ES135 Seymour Duncan Jazz Neck, JB Bridge.
2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional , SD '59/neck SD Pearly Gates/Bridge

So far every setting with both of these guitars is awesome. Have some others to still run through this rig, but I'm sure they will all sound great. I hope this post will help another suffering LSC tone-addict find their healing. LOL

rustyvandewege said:
I have finally found my OD tone on my beloved LSC!!! I have tried so many pedals looking for that elusive OD tone that works well with my amp, I have lost count. I happened upon a video (Side 1) for the loop La Grange pedal. The first part of the demo begins with the pedal off and the amp set to a tone identical to how I use my ch 2. When he kicks in the pedal----OMG that is THE tone, BUT still a little skeptical that it would truly work with my LSC. I found one at Sweetwater and got it last week. All I can say is- UNBELIEVABLE TONE!!!!! EVERY SETTING!!!!! I now have my LSC cleans AND an OD tone to die for! I can NOT get a bad tone with this pedal. Yes it gets the ZZ Top La Grange tone perfectly, but also EVH Brown tones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Warren Haynes, scooped hi gain tones, fat power chords with distinct notes, PLUS I am able to dial in my own sound. The Variac switch is dead on, the ability to adjust gain settings with an expression pedal is allowing me to use only one pedal for all my tones. The boost gives me a great lead tone. I have my Duncan pickups wired to split to single coil. My Jazz neck pickup on single coil with lo Gain settings is Blues magic. So expressive. I am so knocked out by how amazing this rig sounds now. If you are not happy with channel 2, GET THIS PEDAL!!!!!

I have my amp set to ch 2.
NO Drive.
Congrats on your tone. I currently have a 1985 & 1986 Rat that I run with my Lonestar. One for some overdrive and one for heavier tone. Have you ever tried a Vintage Rat and If so how does it compare to the Bogner pedal?
Gain at 12noon,
Treble at 1:30,
Mid at 11:30
Bass at 1:00
Presence 1:00
Guitars - 2000 Gibson ES135 Seymour Duncan Jazz Neck, JB Bridge.
2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional , SD '59/neck SD Pearly Gates/Bridge

So far every setting with both of these guitars is awesome. Have some others to still run through this rig, but I'm sure they will all sound great. I hope this post will help another suffering LSC tone-addict find their healing. LOL

Congrats on your tone. I currently run two Vintage Proco Rats with my Lonestar. I have tried several pedals & nothing works better for me. Have you used a Vintage Rat and if so how does the Bogner compare?

No I have never used any ProCo pedals. Seems like I have tried everything else- BB Preamp, OCD, FluxDrive, FullDrive 3, Fuchs Amplification Plush Drive (which I am keeping for the great Dumble style lead tone it gives) Soul Food, Jekyll&Hyde, BSIAB2, the list goes on and on. The La Grange looks to be a whole different animal circuit-wise,it looks like it is a whole different approach. All I know is I LOVE the sound possibilities now. Having my LSC cleans, then a GREAT satisfying OD tone with it is such a relief. It is not cheap-$245 but to me it is worth the money.

Minor update-
After 2 weeks of flawless awesome tone, my new beloved La Grange pedal started to malfunction. After playing on it, I boxed it up and took it to a friend to let him hear what I was bragging about, and we hooked up the pedal. It passed tone while the pedal was off, but when the On button was pressed, nothing but a high pitched sound came out. I pressed the On button again to disengage the effect, and clean sound passed. The boost function worked fine on its own. We checked all of our connections, tried battery as well as a matching power supply. Same results. I took the pedal back home, hooked it back into my rig and same thing.
I immediately called my Sweetwater rep and he sent me to Max in Tech Support. Long story short, Sweetwater is sending another pedal. I REALLY REALLY love this pedal and hope this was just a fluke. I will update when I receive the replacement. I also have to say that Norb and Max at Sweetwater did a great job handling this situation, making it an easy swap out. They are pros.

Latest Update-
Received replacement pedal, hooked it in straight to my amp and it is doing the exact same thing the previous unit did, only this time, right out of the box. I called Sweetwater, talked through everything, they had just received my first pedal and had not put it on the bench yet. They agreed to overnight a 3rd unit and I boxed up the replacement I received today and dropped it at FedEx. Will post an update when I receive the 3rd unit tomorrow.

Hey there!

I was just reading your post regarding the Bogner La Grange. Did you/they ever figure out what the issue was? I just pulled the trigger on a very slightly used one, so I'm hoping I don't have a similar experience to yours.

Thanks in advance!!

How close are you getting to the Bogner demo with your LSC? I'm hearing a lot of what I'm searching for and would like some feedback from a fellow LSC owner. Hope the new pedal isn't a dud. Thanks for sharing.

I am getting REALLY close to those tones with my LSC. That was alot of my frustration, seeing a pedal in a video and getting home and it sounding nowhere close to the video.
The 3rd pedal I received is working well so far, and I am getting so many good tones out of this pedal. That is why I am willing to go through all of this- the tone (for me) is that **** good. I love getting those LSC cleans then a huge powerful thick overdrive tone that matches the beauty of the cleans.

The OP is absolutely correct. OMG!!!! Wow! The La Grange sounds incredible on channel two of the LSC. I was running my rig solely on the clean channel with a couple of pedals in front and not using channel two at all. The thickness of channel two really lends and nice "thump" to this pedal.

Again...thanks to the OP for this suggestion. It REALLY has completed my search for that "tone".

Last week i bought a Lonestar Classic head and because i already own a Bogner La Grange i tried your settings. It works great but for my personal taste i use much lower EQ and gain settings on the Lonestar so when using the Bogner with all knobs at 12 o'clock you get a vintage almost 'honest' plexi sound without too much compression and pushing the preamp to hard.

My settings on the Lonestar Classic at channel 2 are:

Drive = off (set to clean/normal/100 watt)
Gain = 9:30
Treble = 12:00
Mid = 9:15
Bass = 10:00
Presence = 11:00-13:00 (variable setting, which cab and speaker)
Master = 13:00

The Bogner La Grange settings are:

Medium gain/variac off/presence Lo/Structure middle position
Volume = 9:00
Tone = 12:00
Blend = 12:00 (to taste)
Gain = 13:00-14:00

I use Mesas 2x12 closed or half open cabinet with greenbacks/creambacks or V30 speakers.

Playing with a Fender strat or guitar with humbuckers (Telecasster Deluxe '72) sounds very fat with not to much low end or honky/narrow mids, and no ear piecing highs. Try these settings and let me know what you think. Also great when using the neck pickup to select the high presence setting on the Bogner for more crisp. And as an icing on the cake use a TS-based pedal in front of the Bogner to tighten the lows even more and push the mids for a wicked guitar solo with wah or else :)

Looking forward to giving your settings a try in the next few days. Never thought of stacking the La Grange with anything, but now I'm curious.

Voodoo Child77 said:
Looking forward to giving your settings a try in the next few days. Never thought of stacking the La Grange with anything, but now I'm curious.
Great, let me know your findings and these settings are a good starting point. Tweak to taste :) I stack my La Grange mainly with a Seymour Duncan 805 (TS based) or sometimes a Xotic RC Boost. Sounds really nice with a TS based pedal imo.

Great! I'm using the La Grange for now on channel 1 (clean). I've setup channel 2 of the LSC with a nice warm crunch which comes very close to the La Grange at medium gain settings. I use the LSC 'thick' setting which is described as a 'plexi' setting. It's fun to experiment with this amp and i'm really beginning to like channel 2 of the LSC.

I have had the same "love" with my Barber Burn Unit OD pedal. With its two channels, I actually have killer OD lead tones for each of the two channels.

After some more experimentation with the Lonestar drive channel 2 and the Bogner La Grange on channel 1 (clean) i came to the conclusion that the Lonestar is capable of getting similar Marshall plexi drive tones like the La Grange with the advantage that the Lonestar is all tube driven goodness! With the Lonestar at the 'thick' setting and lets say the gain at 2:00 and the drive also around 2:00 you can get the same gain structure and tone as by setting the La Grange at medium gain, tone and blend around 12:00 and gain around 12:00! By pushing the Drive and gain on the Lonestar even more you can go to high gain plexi tones like the La Grange. Only watch out with the bass settings on the Lonestar which should be set around 9:00 or lower! Just like a real plexi btw LOL.

So my advise to all Lonestar owners would be not to buy the La Grange because channel 2 of the Lonestar can give you similar and imho even better Marshall alike (plexi) sounds. Only if you want to run channel 2 on the clean setting the La Grange can add some nice plexi flavours or if you want a third gain channel. For now i'm using the La Grange as a third high gain solo channel. Its an excellent drive pedal but the same can be said about the Lonestar Drive channel.

Latest posts

Back