Lone Star Classic vs Express 5 50+ vs Mark V for clean tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg73171

Reaction score
This is close to the tone that I like:
YouTube - MESA/Boogie Express 5:50+ Ch. 1 CLEAN – Jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA0GxohXAPo&feature=youtu.be

At low volume, clean tones only, will I notice any difference between these three amps?
(Lone Star Classic, Express 5 50+, and Mark V)

I'm going to buy a head only, and run it thru a MojoTone slanted baffle 1x12 cabinet with a 90watt 12" Celestion Alnico Cream speaker.

I only care about comparing the clean tones between these amps at low volume, not the overdrive or distortion tones, or playing loud. I can afford to buy any of them, so money is not an issue.

Unfortunately, the only Mesa dealer anywhere near me has a 5 50+, and a Mark V, but never has any Lone Star Classics in stock.

Thanks!

Might be a bit late but ive owned all the lonestars and currently own a mark v.Personally i found the lonestar to have the better clean.Its something in the lower mids that makes it rounder than the mark v's clean.I loved the chime off the lonestar special as well.The mark v has great cleans too but to my ears the lonestar just has something magical to that first channel.I went for the V as it serves me better overall but if i was going for an amp based just on cleans, id pick the lonestar over any other amp.

Thanks diddlydan!

Sounds like it's a Lone Star for me...............

Back