My new Lonestar Mini Combo!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babow2

Reaction score
So, I haven't been lugging my LSC 1x12 combo around, as it is too darn big and heavy (or I am too darn old). Meanwhile, I have been shopping for a low power, grab-n-go combo with great cleans and a versatile OD channel. Then it hits me.... (doh!)... why not convert the LSC to a mini combo?

I worked with Tim at TRMguitarcabs.com, and designed the smallest combo cab that would fit the LSC chassis, reverb tank, and speaker. He built it, and it came out great. I used blue croc tolex, and a grey cloth, as an homage to my original blue/grey LSC stock combo. The cabinet is just wider enough to fit the chassis, and shorter than, but the same depth as, the stock cabinet. I had to install everything in a precise order. I even re-purposed the little tube layout chart inside the cabinet, and installed the Mesa logo from the stock cabinet.

I installed 6v6's to knock down the wattage, making it more of a low powered amp, and installed a WGS Blackhawk AlNiCo speaker. So, now it is a little 25/50 watt boutique-y killer grab-n-go combo I get all the great LSC tones and I didn't have to buy another amp. I am totally excited about the result.

It is half the weight of the original cabinet, and easily carried now. Best of all, it fits in the front trunk of my Boxster, so I can toss it in the convertible (with a guitar on the passenger seat and pedalboard in the back trunk) when I don't need to haul more gear.

TO BE CLEAR- THIS IS NOT A STOCK MESA PRODUCT OR AN OFFICIAL MESA CABINET! I did this aftermarket on my own, so please don't think that Mesa is suddenly offering a mini Lonestar combo. Again, this is not an official Mesa product, just my own doing.

Anyway, for anyone who is getting tired of lugging their LSC combo around, this is my solution to enjoying the amp without the weight.

Lonestar-Mini_stack_zpstojtlrvm.jpg

Lonestar_Mini_front_zpsfdlmrrez.jpg

Lonestar-Mini_back_zpsl1pqjm9x.jpg

Lonestar_Mini_top_zpsjc4tgxei.jpg

Nice work. I did a similar thing where I made a head out of maple hardwood and use the empty 2x12 cab just to split up the weight.

very cool!!!!

I need to find someone to build me a simple head shell,...the 1x12 stock weight is too much for my back these days....

That is badass! I converted my combo to a small head shell via Saxon Cabs, and it's that same width --way more manageable, but I hadn't thought about a smaller combo (well, actually I did, in the form of buying a LSS). But that looks great.

How does it sound? The one thing I've always been leery about when it comes to small combos is a tendency to sound boxy. Depth helps though. What do you think?

djw said:
That is badass! I converted my combo to a small head shell via Saxon Cabs, and it's that same width --way more manageable, but I hadn't thought about a smaller combo (well, actually I did, in the form of buying a LSS). But that looks great.

How does it sound? The one thing I've always been leery about when it comes to small combos is a tendency to sound boxy. Depth helps though. What do you think?

I admit that the smaller combo doesn't sound as big and full as the original cabinet, but the original is the size of a 2x12. I think the AlNiCo speaker helps the smaller cab's sound. For my needs, though, the trade off was worth it to me. I needed a small portable combo. I would rather have the LSC tones in a portable size than other options I considered ( given I already owned the chassis). It still sounds great.

I'll bet it sounds great. And you can always add another cab if you need it to sound "bigger". Very cool.

So, I haven't been lugging my LSC 1x12 combo around, as it is too darn big and heavy (or I am too darn old). Meanwhile, I have been shopping for a low power, grab-n-go combo with great cleans and a versatile OD channel. Then it hits me.... (doh!)... why not convert the LSC to a mini combo?

I worked with Tim at TRMguitarcabs.com, and designed the smallest combo cab that would fit the LSC chassis, reverb tank, and speaker. He built it, and it came out great. I used blue croc tolex, and a grey cloth, as an homage to my original blue/grey LSC stock combo. The cabinet is just wider enough to fit the chassis, and shorter than, but the same depth as, the stock cabinet. I had to install everything in a precise order. I even re-purposed the little tube layout chart inside the cabinet, and installed the Mesa logo from the stock cabinet.

I installed 6v6's to knock down the wattage, making it more of a low powered amp, and installed a WGS Blackhawk AlNiCo speaker. So, now it is a little 25/50 watt boutique-y killer grab-n-go combo I get all the great LSC tones and I didn't have to buy another amp. I am totally excited about the result.

It is half the weight of the original cabinet, and easily carried now. Best of all, it fits in the front trunk of my Boxster, so I can toss it in the convertible (with a guitar on the passenger seat and pedalboard in the back trunk) when I don't need to haul more gear.

TO BE CLEAR- THIS IS NOT A STOCK MESA PRODUCT OR AN OFFICIAL MESA CABINET! I did this aftermarket on my own, so please don't think that Mesa is suddenly offering a mini Lonestar combo. Again, this is not an official Mesa product, just my own doing.

Anyway, for anyone who is getting tired of lugging their LSC combo around, this is my solution to enjoying the amp without the weight.

Lonestar-Mini_stack_zpstojtlrvm.jpg

Lonestar_Mini_front_zpsfdlmrrez.jpg

Lonestar-Mini_back_zpsl1pqjm9x.jpg

Lonestar_Mini_top_zpsjc4tgxei.jpg
I know this was several years ago, but I would love to talk more about this if you are willing.

I am considering doing the same thing to mine and would love details on the size.

Thanks

Brian

Latest posts

Back