Love for Ch2 LSC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philh27

Reaction score
obviously it's not exclusive, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the majority of LSC players love CH1's cleans, but aren't as impressed with CH2's more compressed OD tones.

I've had my LSC for about 4 years now and my use of it has evolved over time. Nowadays all my pedals go straight into the front end ( previously I was using the 4 cable method, with delays and reverb in the loop) and rather than channel switching, I am almost exclusively using CH2 ( shock horror!)

However, I use CH2 on 'clean' mode and with the gain at just brushing 1 o' clock. Therefore the tone is indeed almost clean, just with a hint of break up if I dig in. I do love CH1 too, but CH2 set this way, with more saturated tones being achieved with an Amptweaker Big Rock Pro or JHS Charlie Brown works for me. I'm sure it is down to the more compressed nature of this channel. I can't get sparkly clean, but the warm tone with a hint of edge is perfect for me. I mainly use a Duesenberg Starplayer TV with a P90 at the neck and a PAF style humbucker at the bridge and it's just right.

I can switch to CH1 if I need to, but for the last couple of gigs, it simply hasn't been necessary.

All hail CH2! :p

I'm glad you're digging it too. I am a recent convert as well. I bought my LSC when I played an American Strat with kinman blues pickups. CH1 was amazing and CH2 never did anything for me. I bought a Roadster and then later switched to a Les Paul. Since I started playing my Les Paul through my LSC I've found some magic in CH2 and really enjoy playing it. I love my Roadster, especially CH3 vintage mode, but I almost wish it had less gain and that is why CH2 of my LSC is so enjoyable for me these days. I do have mine in Drive but the gain knobs are set around 10:00 and the volume and output are around noon. It's not quiet, but it sounds fantastic.

It definitely took some mahogany, maple and humbuckers to wake up CH2. My other HSS strat didn't have the same results. Oddly enough, CH1 seems to love pedals and CH2 seems to like my LP strait in. Glad that you're enjoying it as well.

I love channel 2.

I'm using a Warmoth hollow Strat with Seymour Duncan SSL1 pickups and a matching 2x12 cab. The low output of the pups allows me to dial up some filth in channel 2 and just rely on the guitar volume to give way to more clipping or almost clean. Drive at 1 oclock, gain at 2 oclock and thick selected. Never have to go over the 50 W selection (both channels) and using tube rectifier.

Channel 1 is ballsy with just a hint of fur with the gain around 2 oclock.

The reverb (set to warm) is full but never intrusive (both channels set about 9 oclock)

Don't use any stompboxes or effects. This Lonestar classic allows me to express all I need to with the guitar straight into the amp.

So I recently moved to a house as opposed to an apartment and finally have the chance to turn my LSC up enough to make the tubes really do their thing. I never stop learning from this amp. Just because I felt like trying something different, I kicked it down to 50 watts and tweed power, tube rectifier, - The all important Favorable ohm mismatch of running from the amps 4 ohm spkr out to the cabs 8 ohm jack. Channel 1 is beautiful as always, very wet and rich sounding - And I love the reverb set to bright and the knob set at about 10 o:clock - There is just nothing negative I can say about it, if there were I would say it. Hope this helps someone.

Just wanted to update my Channel 2 experience. I recently dropped a set of P90's into a stratocaster. My first set of P90's and I wasn't sure what to expect. I found that on CH2 of my Lonestar, I can get great clean to mean just by playing with the knob on my guitar. I have the gain settings on the lower side with the drive engaged. The gain is set just shy of 11:00 and the drive knob is set to about 9:00. Really nice dynamic tones just by playing with the volume. It only took about 8 years but CH2 is finally growing on me.

If eq'd properly ch2 is perfect. Ive had Soldano, Bogner, Egnater, Mender, Hiwatt, Marshall, and other Mesas and the LSC OD channel is as good as any of them. Just different. The amp has strong bass and lower mid frequencies, so I dial some of that out. Drive the amp hard and use a G&L Legacy HB or a Kurt Wilson Standard with Duncan Alnico ii's. Clean and dirty this amp rocks. Cuts through the mix and has a clarity as good as any amp on the planet. It really shines in a band situation. Bridge Humbucker mode is just fabulous.

I didn't discover the EQ thing on my own, Andy Timmons has a video on his settings and I pretty much copy them and...wow tonal heaven.

Latest posts

Back