LSC speaker question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneguy86

Reaction score
Hey all...it appears it is recommended that you use the 4ohm speaker output if you run both channels at 50 watts (that recommendation is somewhere in the manual and on the back of the amp). I actually like the sound using the 8ohm output....but am not sure if I can do that. Can I?

screamingdaisy said:
...any idea why it says what it says on the back and in the manual? My sense is that 8ohms makes the amp work a tad harder...but it shouldn't make that much difference.

Halving the output changes the output impedance from 4Ω and 8Ω to 8Ω and 16Ω. Switching jacks makes things 'correct', but if I remember correctly the LS manual has a blerb about experimenting with mismatching loads and using whatever sounds better.

Ya...The 212 has 2 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for an 8 ohm load. However on the back and in the manual it suggests running out of the 4 ohm jack if you are running both channels at 50 watts. That's the question. The manual does suggest messing with mismatching loads so it SHOULD be fine, I just want to be sure....

Talked to Mesa about this today. Their response was that everything was overbuilt in these amps and should be able to take the additional load as the amps work harder driving 8ohms. There is a noticable difference in feel and sound with 8ohms vs. 4 ohms at 50ish watts (I run it in tweed mode most of the time) that I really like.

toneguy86 said:
Talked to Mesa about this today. Their response was that everything was overbuilt in these amps and should be able to take the additional load as the amps work harder driving 8ohms. There is a noticable difference in feel and sound with 8ohms vs. 4 ohms at 50ish watts (I run it in tweed mode most of the time) that I really like.
+1 I run mine at 100 watts most of the time in tweed mode...sounds fantastic. Browns out the sound just a bit...kinda like a variac. More sag.

Latest posts

Back