LSS issues. Mesa refusing to cover repair cost

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonga

Reaction score
I've been working with Mesa support for many years to try and get a recurring intermittent popping/crackling issue fixed. I sent the amp back to them along with an mp3 file of the issue. They were not able to repro, but did a tune up. I got the amp back and it had the same issue. Since then, I had a kid and didn't use the amp for a while.

My tech was visiting a couple months ago who has worked on amps since '77. He quickly diagnosed the issue and we discovered that capacitors are missing from the AC line noise filter suppression circuit. The circuit board is etched for these capacitors - so we are baffled as to why they aren't actually in the amp. It turns out that it was intermittent, because it only happens when someone turns on or off a light in my house. If no one else is home. I understand that I could get a power conditioner or a beefy power strip, but I shouldn't have to do that and can't guarantee I'll always have that protection everywhere I'm playing - as I mentioned before this issue happens not just at my house.

I sent this video to Mesa with all of the details, but they are continuing to push back and refusing to fix the issue at their expense. They have stated that my video proves nothing and want me to cover shipping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccymHJeKH30

Before I escalate this any further, I wanted to reach out to you guys here to see if you've seen this type of issue before and maybe provide some insight into why Mesa wouldn't just fix it without issue. It's probably $100 to fix including shipping - you would think that Mesa would just fix it. Yes, it is out of warranty, but I've been working with them on this issue since it was under warranty. I'm also curious as to why you think they would etch the board for those parts, but not include them. You would think that they would have a lot more reports about this issue from people like you guys. I also paid an electrician to come to my house and inspect for any electrical issues and he said everything was good.

I can easily send the amp to my tech and have him fix it, but I'm thinking on principal Mesa should fix it and win me as a loyal customer. I'm actually not sure I want to even send the amp back to them because 1) they couldn't repro the issue, when my tech could in minutes 2) they don't believe I have correctly diagnosed it. If I send it to them again I will likely have the same issue when it gets back.

It's pretty simple for me. I spent $2k on this amp. I've had issues with it since I got it. I've been working with Mesa to try and get it fixed. I have diagnosed the issue. It will cost them roughly $100 to fix, but they are refusing to. I would understand if you responded with "call Mesa support and sort it out..." but I have tried that many times over the phone and email, but they will not budge.

I love my LSS, but after this ordeal I would seriously hesitate before buying another one or any other Mesa Boogie product.

Here's the complete timeline of my case:

1. I bought the amp from Guitar Center in Kirkland, WA in 2008 for $2k.
  2. I noticed an issue with occasional crackling and contacted MesaBoogie support.
  3. I spent many hours trying to diagnose the issue with their help
  4. At the request of Mesa support, I replaced tubes and it didn't fix it.
  5. I hired an electrician to inspect my entire house for issues and he verified that my house is not the problem.
  6. I reproduced the issue at a gig and at my friend's house.
  7. I sent it back to you in 2012. They had it in the shop, but weren't able to reproduce. But did "improve grounding" and "reverb transformer". That did not fix the issue.
  8. My tech was visiting from Maine last month and I asked him to look into the issue. He diagnosed it as missing a few capacitors and said he has seen this problem many times before.
  9. I created a video that details the issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccymHJeKH30
  10. I am now asking that Mesa cover shipping and repair to add the capacitors and ship it back to me and they are refusing to do so.

Thanks for any constructive input!

jonga

Did they acknowledge the parts indeed ought to be there and are missing? (Assuming they saw the video here.
I can see your point -especially considering the long chain of frustration like that.
On the other hand.. is it -or could it have been, as simple as doing right there with it opened up?

Is it that those parts are missing? Or are those traces reserved for amps shipped to countries with 100v or 220-240v power?

(I'm assuming you're in the U.S. and I see that the 120 hole has a cap attached to it.)

screamingdaisy said:
Is it that those parts are missing? Or are those traces reserved for amps shipped to countries with 100v or 220-240v power?

(I'm assuming you're in the U.S. and I see that the 120 hole has a cap attached to it.)

This. The caps you're referring to are only used on the export model.

mixsit said:
Did they acknowledge the parts indeed ought to be there and are missing? (Assuming they saw the video here.
I can see your point -especially considering the long chain of frustration like that.
On the other hand.. is it -or could it have been, as simple as doing right there with it opened up?

The did not acknowledge that the parts are missing. Yes, they saw the video. I could have fixed it, but didn't have the parts on hand and my tech had to fly back before having time to get parts and repair it.

Latest posts

Back