Lonestar Or Lonestar Special?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a Lodestar 1x12 combo pretty soon. I just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on which to go for? The normal version or the special? I think I'd prefer the 100 watt version but I'm interested to hear what people think.

Cheers

Paul

I have the old version of the LSC and I love it. The only reason I would want a LSS is for the lower power settings. The new LSC's have a 10 watt setting. I know they are different animals but I would so the LSC. There is something special about the clean channel on silicone diodes set to 100 watts. Just shimmer and chime with a strat.

knotts said:
I have the old version of the LSC and I love it. The only reason I would want a LSS is for the lower power settings. The new LSC's have a 10 watt setting. I know they are different animals but I would so the LSC. There is something special about the clean channel on silicone diodes set to 100 watts. Just shimmer and chime with a strat.

I was thinking the same as well. I like the headroom the 100 watt provides. I can always go to 50 watts if its too loud but I'm pretty sure it won't be I could do with the extra headroom anyway.

I'm wondering why so many people favour the special? I'm sure its a really great amp. I have el84's in my rectoverb 25 but I've always loved 6L6's they just sound awesome.

A 30 watt mesa is plenty of power and plenty of volume. 100 Watts is more than anyone needs to play at home, but it sure is fun when you get to crank it. With that said, you have an EL84 mesa. Although it's a different beast, I would say that you will enjoy the 6L6's more. I run EL34's in mine and it sounds great. I get the impression that you already talked yourself into getting it.

knotts said:
A 30 watt mesa is plenty of power and plenty of volume. 100 Watts is more than anyone needs to play at home, but it sure is fun when you get to crank it. With that said, you have an EL84 mesa. Although it's a different beast, I would say that you will enjoy the 6L6's more. I run EL34's in mine and it sounds great. I get the impression that you already talked yourself into getting it.

Yeah my rectoverb is only 25 watts and that is loud. Sometimes I miss the extra headroom though especially on the clean channel. I ordered one today, should hopefully come on Friday. Looking forward to it. I got a good price over here in the UK saved around £160. Another guitar store wanted £100 more and would budge on the price.

Back