Andy Timmons Lonestar tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jusp

Reaction score
Hello, anyone who knows, what brand of tubes uses Andy Timmons on his Lonestars at present?
Preamp, power and rectifier tubes...
Thanks

HI

Andy uses the default tubes as far as I know. You can get very close to his tone by just using this overall pedals, rolling back the volume,etc. I can pretty much nail his tone with my Lonestar.

Jason

Thanks for answer...
I installed 6L6 power tubes (Sovtek's WXT+), and I'm dissatisfied with them, but in my Fender Amp sounds amazing... I don't know why, but for some reason EL34 (JJ) sounds better to me as those 6L6...
sound from EL34 It is more similar to Andy Timmons sound, specially on drive channel (soft crunch)... strange...
Therefore, I was interested, what type and brand of tubes uses Andy.

jusp said:
Thanks for answer...
I installed 6L6 power tubes (Sovtek's WXT+), and I'm dissatisfied with them, but in my Fender Amp sounds amazing... I don't know why, but for some reason EL34 (JJ) sounds better to me as those 6L6...
sound from EL34 It is more similar to Andy Timmons sound, specially on drive channel (soft crunch)... strange...
Therefore, I was interested, what type and brand of tubes uses Andy.

Were the Sovtek tubes correctly rated for the amplifier? The tubes need to be selected for the correct current draw range for the neds of the fixed bias setting...

I think that yes...
I bought them, from tube-town.net as matched quad

I understand, not enough to be matched, I'm not sure, but probably not :-(
They selling 2 types of Sovtek 6l6 tubes:

1.) TT-Tone Selection Sovtek 6L6 GC - Mesa-Matching
2.) Sovtek 6L6 WXT+ STR430 - TT XMatching

(The TT XMatching for power tubes is done in house on a computer controlled Matching & Testing System for tubes. After a burn in periode all powertubes are measured and tested with high plate voltage...)

I decided to 6L6WXT+ not only for lower price, but they sounds great in my Fender, better then other Sovtek's 6L6 that I had.
Otherwise I mentioned to the seller, that tubes will be for Lonestar Classic, he did not say anything, that it would be better to buy 6l6 GC for Mesa, but OK, seller is not responsible for what the client chooses.

In fact, they play well, but it seems to me that sounds a very dry to my ears.

I know that Andy uses EL-34 tubes, and I was coming to this board for the same reason this post exists! Does anyone know what brand tubes Andy uses?

Depending on what rig he was using, he'd run both 6L6 and EL34s. When slaving into the Stiletto, he was getting the EL34 power amp section. I believe it was even said by him (or someone in the know) that when running the Lonestars in stereo, that the slave amp is equipped with EL34s.

Back