Very "sterile" sounding Lonestar Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratmunkey

Reaction score
I have a V1 LSC and it sounds like a sock has been stuffed in it.....
Mine just doesn't have the shimmery highs or tight overdrive as the ones I ve heard on
youtube or even in the store. Could something be blown or something? I have replaced the
Grid Resistors as the were swollen. It sounded the same way before changing them. I was
hoping it would help by changing those resistors. I have used NOS tubes 6L6gc black plates,
new Mesa 6L6 stock tubes,Ruby 6L6, changed out pre amp tubes, everything from 12ax7 to 5751 to ecc83,,,
JAN 12ax7 wa..... I'm stumped. Just wondering if there is something else wrong........... I have set the knobs
exactly like Lonestar people are using on youtube.
Bottom line nothing works............. HELP !!!!!!

Thanks

Yes I have, I failed to mention that earlier. I tried a 6 band EQ earlier today, as it did help, I don't wanna have to rely on one. From all the Lonestar amps I have heard, I definitely think it needs to be checked out. Now the search for a reliable amp tech in the Dallas area begins..........

Yeah, a tech might be in order. Have you plugged it in to a different cab, speaker(s) blown?

stratmunkey said:
Yes I have, I failed to mention that earlier. I tried a 6 band EQ earlier today, as it did help, I don't wanna have to rely on one. From all the Lonestar amps I have heard, I definitely think it needs to be checked out. Now the search for a reliable amp tech in the Dallas area begins..........

Terrence Slemmons (Slemmons Amp Repair) in Dallas is one of our best Authorized Techs in the US!!

Plan-x I have tried different speakers. It just isn't the Lonestar sound that I hear every where else. Im gonna get it checked out and go from there...... :D

How've you got on with it? I'm not on here very often, but have you tried 6L6WGB's JAN type? I run 5751 JAN's in V1,V2 and V3.
Very chimey, lots of spank, nice mids and not sizzling on the top end.
I did also fit a rear panel mounted bias adjuster with tester points for each pair that gives me the ability to turn up or down the heat.

stratmunkey said:
Plan-x I have tried different speakers. It just isn't the Lonestar sound that I hear every where else. Im gonna get it checked out and go from there...... :D
Hello there,
Which speakers have you tried? In 2010 I bought my first LSC Head, and ran it through a Mesa cab that I bought off of Craigslist with C90/Black Shadow speaker. Coming from playing Fender Hot Rod series I was looking for that Sparkle/chime in the LSC but I didn't find it and sold it. After years and after having another lonestar, I realized that I was using it with the wrong speaker for my taste plus I think that the cab I bought had the tweeter blown and I didn't realize it at the moment. I now am a very happy LSC owner and I haven't done any mods to it. I've taken my time to dial the amp to my liking and to the different guitars I use. I use V30s as they are a bit brighter and tighter than the C90s.

It could be that you have a legit problem with the amp but I just wanted to add my experience in case it helps.

I know this is a silly question, but, if your willing to spend money on an amp tech, why not just remove the amp from the cabinet and send it back to Mesa? Maybe they know something we don't.

That is something I have been pondering...... I did change out the 5U4GC Ruby rec tube to a 5U4GB EH tube and it made a huge difference! But being that I DID buy it used, it probably wouldn't hurt to have the factory have a looksy......... Im sure turnaround time is horrible tho.................

stratmunkey said:
That is something I have been pondering...... I did change out the 5U4GC Ruby rec tube to a 5U4GB EH tube and it made a huge difference! But being that I DID buy it used, it probably wouldn't hurt to have the factory have a looksy......... Im sure turnaround time is horrible tho.................

The rectifier tube should make no difference, as no signal is running through it. It is there to (simply) convert AC power to DC power. They are either working or not - if not working you will have no sound in the 10 or 50 (if set to tube recto) watt settings. Thanks

Well thank you for that bit of information.. much appreciated. I guess it wants to sound good when it wants too. After making my post last night, I had the urge to turn it on and give it a whirl. .... once again it didn't sound good. Guess its time to inquire on sending it in...

Back