Output Transformer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackbob

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded the output transformer on a LLS (such as with a Mercury Magnetics transformer) and, if so, did it transform the tone in any (meaningful) way? Thanx!

I notice it's an old question, and also mines a Lonestar Classic, but I swapped out all my transformers (except the reverb) for Mercury Magnetics and have been very pleasantly surprised by the change in the nature of the amp.
I have gained a better interaction amongst the tonestacks, not that same defeat on one by cranking another. The nature of channel 2 has improved, less mud, and it doesn't have the Reeder mod. Enhanced clarity, chime and 3D makes me feel like I'm in the sound instead of being hit by it. The B+ drops with the Mercury to around the 380 point dependent upon whether in Tweed/FullVolt/50/100 and also tube type. Output transformer windings left and right are more balanced with only a 0.5ohm difference and the Mercury Choke gives better balance/stability.
Forget the hype, if your amps a keeper, like mine, it is well worth the $$$ swap !
I did also fit a rear chassis mounted bias adjuster for each pair, but that's another story.

BluesAndBooze said:
I notice it's an old question, and also mines a Lonestar Classic, but I swapped out all my transformers (except the reverb) for Mercury Magnetics and have been very pleasantly surprised by the change in the nature of the amp.
I have gained a better interaction amongst the tonestacks, not that same defeat on one by cranking another. The nature of channel 2 has improved, less mud, and it doesn't have the Reeder mod. Enhanced clarity, chime and 3D makes me feel like I'm in the sound instead of being hit by it. The B+ drops with the Mercury to around the 380 point dependent upon whether in Tweed/FullVolt/50/100 and also tube type. Output transformer windings left and right are more balanced with only a 0.5ohm difference and the Mercury Choke gives better balance/stability.
Forget the hype, if your amps a keeper, like mine, it is well worth the $$$ swap !
I did also fit a rear chassis mounted bias adjuster for each pair, but that's another story.

Sounds interesting. Do you have any sound clips with the upgraded trannys?

Latest posts

Back