Why do you players sell their LS Specials?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodger916

Reaction score
Ithaca, NY...10 sq miles surrounded by reality!
I've had a hankering for a Lonestar since when they first came out, having demo'd several Classics and Specials years ago. The time was never "right", but I've since grown fond of 4xEL84 power sections and I'm now actively pursuing a used Special head.

I typically don't play metal or anything "gainier" than Ramones or Cheap Trick, and I always have pedals for tinkering. I know it's a shot in the dark, but to those who've sold their Special or know others who have, why do people sell their Specials? Are there certain years that have specific issues? I've kept up with this subforum and am aware of Reeder mods, etc..

Thanks in advance.

I'm not an LSS owner, but from my understanding there were some issues with the early years with the rectifier section that would blow rectifier tubes. I also heard that Mesa corrected that problem eventually so the latter years are better. The archives should reveal plenty on this issue.

Thanks. I've read about those tech issue and Mesa's response, having kept an eye on this forum for most of my 7 years here. I know they are great sounding amps and there are very few used ones for sale. I'm actively pursuing a head and was trying to get some info from those who've sold them.

Thanks again.

My LSS was a screamin' amp and the way I dialled it in gave me a sweet ZZ Top kind of vibe. My opinion is that it excels as a lead guitar amp. It's fat, it's fluid, and the harmonics were wild.

Where I had issues with it was trying to tame it for rhythm work. Any attempt to tighten it up neutered it. By the time I had enough bottom end dialled out to get a percussive rhythm attack it felt thin and kind of weak.

I think the amp is awesome, but it needs to be in the hands of the right player and that player wasn't me.

screamingdaisy said:
My LSS was a screamin' amp and the way I dialled it in gave me a sweet ZZ Top kind of vibe. My opinion is that it excels as a lead guitar amp. It's fat, it's fluid, and the harmonics were wild.

Where I had issues with it was trying to tame it for rhythm work. Any attempt to tighten it up neutered it. By the time I had enough bottom end dialled out to get a percussive rhythm attack it felt thin and kind of weak.

I think the amp is awesome, but it needs to be in the hands of the right player and that player wasn't me.

Very helpful, thanks.

For me, I found the express 5:25's (non plus and plus) to sound just as good, for the sounds I want from an amp. Since they are smaller and much lighter, it was a no brainer for me. And yes, I still own the original 5:25 and the plus.

Also, when I had the LSS (it was a head and 4/10 cab) I pretty much used it in 2 EL-84 mode versus full power.

JMHO,

TW

twally said:
For me, I found the express 5:25's (non plus and plus) to sound just as good, for the sounds I want from an amp. Since they are smaller and much lighter, it was a no brainer for me. And yes, I still own the original 5:25 and the plus.

Also, when I had the LSS (it was a head and 4/10 cab) I pretty much used it in 2 EL-84 mode versus full power.

JMHO,

TW

Thanks. I've demo'd Expresses, and they just didn't do it for me.

plan-x said:
I'm not an LSS owner, but from my understanding there were some issues with the early years with the rectifier section that would blow rectifier tubes. I also heard that Mesa corrected that problem eventually so the latter years are better. The archives should reveal plenty on this issue.

The issue was with the current production 5y3 rectifier tubes, which just don't hold up as well as the JAN Phillips 5Y3 the amp was designed around and shipped with originally. The newer JJ5Y3 is more robust and seems to hold up very well...we have switched over to using the JJ as our standard 5Y3. If you're concerned about 5Y3 reliability, the Weber Copper Cap is a great option - and is a lifetime product. Thanks!

I think for some players the LSS suffers from basically the same issue as the LSC, which is that it doesn't do the "crunch" rhythm thing the way many people are used to getting from a Marshall typically. (I think this is what screamingdaisy is referring to?)

I concur, neither of these amps are really voiced for that sort of response. In my case this is not a problem: I have a Marshall for that sort of thing, but it's moot because I'm not playing that sort of music these days. The LS amps deliver exactly what I need for the music I mostly play now (funk/R&B mostly, occasionally some TX classic rock), so I will not be selling either of my Lone Stars. They're a pleasure to play through and when I get a hankering for that chunky crunchy stuff I just use a pedal, which works really well actually.

djw said:
I think for some players the LSS suffers from basically the same issue as the LSC, which is that it doesn't do the "crunch" rhythm thing the way many people are used to getting from a Marshall typically. (I think this is what screamingdaisy is referring to?)

I concur, neither of these amps are really voiced for that sort of response. In my case this is not a problem: I have a Marshall for that sort of thing, but it's moot because I'm not playing that sort of music these days. The LS amps deliver exactly what I need for the music I mostly play now (funk/R&B mostly, occasionally some TX classic rock), so I will not be selling either of my Lone Stars. They're a pleasure to play through and when I get a hankering for that chunky crunchy stuff I just use a pedal, which works really well actually.

Thanks. That's my take too...they are not Marshalls. These are such great amps, and I'm determined to get one.

The only reason I sold my LSS was that the weight was staring to aggravate my back problems. Otherwise, super amp. I picked up an Express 525+ and it's a little better weight wise and has been my go to gigging amp for several years; but I missed the Lonestar , so I just snagged a mint LSC head off of the Bay. Can't wait to get it!!

Matt

I sold my LSC2 because in a NYC apartment I was liquefying rodents in the walls in the 10 watt settings.
I sold my LSC2 because in a NYC apartment my neighbors couldn't keep things on their walls when I played.
I sold my LSC2 because in a NYC apartment it was too damned loud!
I sold my LSC2 because after 7 years I gave up trying to make CH 2 _consistently_ usable.

It's a matter of style and taste. When I first got my LSS i couldn't get chan 2 to sound the way I wanted (which I'm sure is different than what anyone else might want). I have a number of guitars, but my 2 main ones are 1) A 2011 LP Traditional but the only the body neck and bridge are original. I rebuilt It with Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen HB sized P90s, vintage sweep pots, etc. It sounds amazing. I play this 90% of the time 2) A 1994 LP Custom Shop Standard. Original humbuckers.

Channel one I leave mostly clean with just a little gain and use the guitar volume knobs to tone it down if need be.

Channel two I no longer use the "drive", ever. I just use the Volume and Gain. I set it for a sweetness and sustain and it sounds amazing. Then if I kick in a 808 style OD pedal in front it's superb - you can get everything from a Joe Bonamossa type sound to Santana-ish.

What I love most of all is that it never sounds mushy - you can always hear every string.

This amp has so many settings that you can bet what everybody says is true; it takes forever to find your sound. But when you do, it's spectacular.

My LSS bond started off miserably. I just got back into playing electric after 25 years of acoustic. I bought a new LSS at GC, $1900 back in 1998 or so. Learning curve on the amp was tough, it didn't catch me and I traded it back for an LSC. the LSC was sold after a couple of years and I went back to the LSS in a trade. Happier this time, but I had some bad GAS for about 10 years.

Sold the LSS in order to get something else. Buy one Sell one kept me financially solvent. Lots of amps came and went with a few more LSS' along the way too. Bogner Metropolis (15 and 30 watters) Dr Z MAZ's Tone King's, Koch's, Sommatones, Fargen's, DRRI's, Allen's. Cool stuff, mostly trades with some cash either way to even up the trade.

But I was always happiest with the LSS. I'm on #5 now, had 2+ years. Got it in a trade. Can't say it's going to stay here forever, but no other amp has made my ears this happy. All stock, new JJ EL84's once a year. It's my 'go to amp' for gigs and recording. It's also my 'go back to amp" since the fit seems right.

Latest posts

Back