More about the magic LSS/Celestion Gold combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mink

Reaction score
I've heard many times about the compatibility of the LSS and Celestion Gold speakers, but I've never had the chance to plug in and try one out. A few questions for those of you who have...

(1.) How would you describe/compare the sound, specifically against the stock Black Shadow (which I actually like)? Clean- and dirty-wise?

(2.) If I keep my Black Shadow in the combo and get an extension 1x12 with a Gold, will they compliment each other? If so... how? Or if not, why not?

(3.) Open or closed back on the 1x12 extension cab? Also... Mesa? Other?

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get my hands on one to test drive before getting a new speaker/cab.

The LSS + Gold is really an awesome combo. It brings more depth and dimensionality to the amp, more sparkle and definition. I would say the Gold is brighter, but smooth on the top so you get that zing without any fizz. It's really remarkable, a match made in heaven.

I don't think the stock speaker is bad, but once you've compared it to a broken-in Gold it's hard to go back. It might be a bit warmer, or darker, and slightly less detailed; maybe one area that it can compete with the Gold is in the lows, but even there it's not quite as tight. It isn't bad, and if you like it that's a good thing. I've just been spoiled by the Gold.

The two speakers are probably not the best pairing -- I hear Golds are tough to pair with anything. In my experience this is true, but then again what level of magical perfection are we after here? If we just want to move more air, it's fine. Two Golds would sound better, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

I'd recommend getting a Gold and loading it in the combo and breaking it in. See what you think then.
For cabs I really like the 23" Lone Star ext. cab, it's a great looking match and an awesome cab in its own right.

I'd only recommend a closed back if you are looking for more thump, which is not something I generally turn to the LSS for anyway.

Latest posts

Back