What tubes are you using in your Lonestar Classics?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suave Eddie

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Lonestar 100W/50W 1X12 .
http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=68801

A previous owner had replaced the original tubes with Groove Tubes.
When it comes time to retube it, what brand tubes do you guys recommend?

On my Subway Blues, I've always used Mesa Branded tubes and never had any issues with them.

I know some people don't like the Mesa branded ones and was wondering what other's experience has been. I have always understood that whatever tubes I got had to match Mesa specs for proper bias. How can I tell if other brands are within spec?

Thanks

knotts said:
Mesa EL-34's.

Well there's a response for some reason I was not anticipating.
How long did you use the 6L6s before trading them in for the EL-34s?
How would you describe the difference in sound? I've only recently acquired the Lonestar and I'm so in love with the tone so far I hadn't even considered switching out the 6L6s.

My main question is really regarding brands of tubes. If you're using other brands how do you know if they are up to Mesa's standards -- or do you think it's even important?

I kept the 6L6's for a few years before making the change. My band plays classic rock so with my strat, I felt that I would get more out of the amp with EL34's and once I made the change, I never went back. I lost a little shimmer on the cleans, but it made up for it by the way it fixed the muddiness in the bottom end.

Since then I purchased a roadster and keep the lonestar as a backup. I tried the EL34's in the Roadster and took them out a few weeks later and went back to the 6L6's. That amp just likes them better. It turned out that I just needed to play a Les Paul through either amp to get the sounds I was looking for.

It's a great amp. I love mine and have no plans to get rid of it. In terms of tubes; I've only changed out preamp tubes with non-Mesa tubes. If the amp is not under warranty, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase other brands of tubes from a reputable dealer like dougs tubes or eurotubes. I have used Doug's and I have been happy with them. Just let them know that you need tubes rated for a Mesa and you should be fine. I emailed Doug telling him about what amp I had and what music I played. He got back to me pretty quickly and gave me a preamp cocktail that worked out well.

I kept the 6L6's for a few years before making the change. My band plays classic rock so with my strat, I felt that I would get more out of the amp with EL34's and once I made the change, I never went back. I lost a little shimmer on the cleans, but it made up for it by the way it fixed the muddiness in the bottom end.

Since then I purchased a roadster and keep the lonestar as a backup. I tried the EL34's in the Roadster and took them out a few weeks later and went back to the 6L6's. That amp just likes them better. It turned out that I just needed to play a Les Paul through either amp to get the sounds I was looking for.

It's a great amp. I love mine and have no plans to get rid of it. In terms of tubes; I've only changed out preamp tubes with non-Mesa tubes. If the amp is not under warranty, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase other brands of tubes from a reputable dealer like dougs tubes or eurotubes. I have used Doug's and I have been happy with them. Just let them know that you need tubes rated for a Mesa and you should be fine. I emailed Doug telling him about what amp I had and what music I played. He got back to me pretty quickly and gave me a preamp cocktail that worked out well.

Not sure why it seems like I posted that 3 times. Guess I felt really strong about it.

I've been toying with selling this amp over and over again because I rarely have the opportunity to crank it like I used to be able to. I can't though -- it's just so flexible I can't find a sutiable replacement.

These days I run the amp with 4 6V6s, on 50 Watt mode (my amp does not have 10 watt), tweed power, tube rectifying tracking, and I'm using the 4 ohm out into an 8 ohm load. I figure this gets my power level down into the 15-22 watt range, which I find way more manageable.

And it sounds amazing, by the way. More managable bass, a nice sparkly edge-of-breakup sound, a generally 'fuzzy' old school rock / punk / indie tone that I'm into these days. I'm not a high gain guy, and I imagine these tubes won't stay tight for that sort of thing, but if you like your amp low gain these tubes can breathe new life into an otherwise incredible amp. I'll only switch back to 6L6 if I start gigging again.

Philips JAN 6L6WGB's or Genalex KT66's, but I did install an adjustable bias pot alongside tester points

Back