EL84 Lonestar Classic question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimme789

Reaction score
HI, I picked up a used Lonestar Classic a while ago. It came with 6L6 tubes installed.
I understand these can be switched over to EL84s. A few questions :

1) How many EL84s would I need to buy ?

2) What brand would you recommend ( JJ ? ) for best sound & reliability

3) What is the procedure? Unplug old, plug in new ? Flip a bias switch someplace ?

4) Your thoughts on 6L6 .vs. EL84 sound ? ( I know this is subjective ... - will the
EL84s produce a more Marshall like sound ? ) Your preference ?

I will look on-line for a manual and see of these answers lie within, but I appreciate
any info & advice anyone may be willing to share.

TIA

Tom

gimme789 said:
HI, I picked up a used Lonestar Classic a while ago. It came with 6L6 tubes installed.
I understand these can be switched over to EL84s. A few questions :

1) How many EL84s would I need to buy ?

2) What brand would you recommend ( JJ ? ) for best sound & reliability

3) What is the procedure? Unplug old, plug in new ? Flip a bias switch someplace ?

4) Your thoughts on 6L6 .vs. EL84 sound ? ( I know this is subjective ... - will the
EL84s produce a more Marshall like sound ? ) Your preference ?

I will look on-line for a manual and see of these answers lie within, but I appreciate
any info & advice anyone may be willing to share.

TIA

Tom

Hi Tom,

EL84's are not compatible in the LoneStar. Perhaps you mean EL34's? If so, and you're using MESA tubes - its simply a matter of installing them and setting the bias switch to the correct position. You will notice a slight difference from 6L6's - EL34's will have more mid-range without the big bottom of the 6L6 - they will break up earlier than a 6L6, with a different harmonic content to the top. It will NOT make the amp sound like a Marshall...tube type alone does not change the circuit design! Thanks!

thanks for the reply, yes i meant 34s, do you know how many i need to buy ? ty

Latest posts

Back